Home General Discussion

New Elder Scrolls: Oblivion movies

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/702/702491/vids_1.html

4 new videos about the gameplay of Oblivion. This game looks really awesome. I was a big fan of Morrowind, and they seem to have fixed all the main problems from that...

It looks great, all the depth of character interaction and storyline. Not to mention that they've totally overhauled the character art, which was what Morrowind was mainly lacking in.

I can't wait!

[edit] Oh yeah, it has Patrick Stewart, too! tongue.gif

Replies

• RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I concur, when this game is out... it'll own my life for sure.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i decided a while ago that this was the one game that would overcome the PC RPG hate burrowing through my bone marrow ... and it's still on track. Cannot frickigging wait
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    It's gonna be oblivion for my working/social life!!

=still play daggerfall and morrowind=
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Can't wait for this. A number of Polycounters worked on this through Liquid, myself included.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I know ... dammit ... I wanted to get in on that one too smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Ewww, bloom overuse!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed, they did seem to be abusing Bloom a little too much here and there... but if it's an awesome game, who cares? A little extra light now and then isn't going to ruin my gaming experience. It worked for Guild Wars, right? wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I hate bloom because it looks like my glasses are dirty and I hate it when my glasses are dirty.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    http://files.filefront.com/Oblivion20minGameplayavi/;4201955;;/fileinfo.html

full video at a higher res.

I agree bloom is overused, hopefully it'll be something you can toggle. The other thing was a seeming lack of emotion in the characters faces and the lip sync at times was off, but i'm nitpicking. It's still a game i'm wanting to get my hands on and play.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    All of them have been absolutely great. I love these games.

It would be a joy to work at bethesda on this game. smile.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This looks really fantastic. A definate must-have.
    These are the guys working on the new Fallout as well right?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    OMG I JUST JIZZED ALL OVER MY SCREEN... lol tears forming.... SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BADASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS OMG!!!!!!!

and yeah they are making the new installment for the best rpg ever...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Now THAT, is how you make a preview for a game. Finally, this might actually get me back into RPGs.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    yes it is!
    Sad to know that i wont be playing this when it comes out... But i will when the second set of 360s comes out.
  • Taimaishu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taimaishu polycounter lvl 18
    Big elder scrolls fan myself. This is my number one title for the Xbox 360 at launch. I love the new physics and combat. Looks really epic smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I liked some of the early shots, but I REALLY like this video. This is shaping up to be a great gaming season.
  • Vark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vark polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    This looks really fantastic. A definate must-have.
    These are the guys working on the new Fallout as well right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes indeedy. Fallout's gonna rock wink.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    The visuals looked amazing, but am I the only one who thinks the animations were lacking? The gameplay looks a bit lacking, but then again I never played the originals, so I don't know if there's more to it than slashin with the sword.

Either way, it's definitely beautiful smile.gif
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I'm definitely NOT a fan of the fantasty genre (that wizard and elves crap is boring as it gets) but I still loved Morrowind with all its flaws and I can't wait for this. I can see it already - my thief character stealing everything that's not nailed down, and even then...

I am, however, the #1 Fallout fan. Crossing my fingers for that one, too.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I never played the originals, so I don't know if there's more to it than slashin with the sword.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sonic: hehehehe... you don't know what you're missing! smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I think the visuals look amazing, especially the forest. I think the tech looks dag on amazing too. I think that RPG nuts are gonna have a blast with this thing.

However, I don't think it looks like something I'd enjoy. The actual gameplay, the interaction between you and the environment and the enemies, seems kind of standard fair, and not all that polished or fast paced fro what I can see. The fun seems to lie in the level of how much interaction and character growth you can attain. I've always been much more interested in the actual interactive gameplay aspect of the game.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, I always liked the character development and storyline side ... they could have polished the fighting system up a lot in Morrowind, but it wasn't so bad that it detracted from the experience IMHO.

Fast paced is definitely not how I would describe the Elder Scrolls smile.gif

I like the idea of the "fast travel" thing - means you don't have to pay to go places you already know, and eliminates the annoying wandering through paths and forests you've already been through a hundred times. That was always the slowest and most unnecessary part of Morrowind, and I'm glad they've remedied it.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I can't fucking wait. My mom reserved this, along with xbox 360 for christams...(yeah i know, cheapskate, having my mom get it) Once this comes out...i'm gonna die of malnutrition.
    Either that...or starvation.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah mop thats definitely cool, plus theres horses too.

poop: yeah umm RPGs and fast paced don't go together. This is actually a hell of alot more fast paced than alot of rpgs, hell Fallout had turnbased combat, and you know what, it was badass.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    I hate bloom so much.

Besides the fact that I dont liek the fanstasy RPG genre I wouldnt play becauase everything in that game looks so "dead" to me. Also I read an interview with the producer. I just wont pay for such a person who is just telling advertising crap and nothing really interesting...

Anyway. I am looking forward to see fallout 3 in nextgen graphics. Hopefully this will rock and they turn down blooming...or at least use it kinda sensful to simulate dust or seomthing. god I hate blooming... who invented that...
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I didn't say it would be bad, I said I didn't think I would like it.

I just hope they make it approachable. One thing I think is the hardest to do, and I have the most respect for, is when a company can make a game approachable. Fun for the hardcore peeps, but still able to be played and enjoyed by people who are not fiends of the genre. Blizzard does this the best.

Because from what I've seen in these videos, I *want* to like it. I want to have fun playing it. I don't think an RPG has to be slow or turn based to be a fun RPG. I love the zelda series, and those are pretty RPG ish, Kotor was fun as well, Xmen Legends was good. All RPG's with good combat that didn't feel awkward and clunky.

Also, rockstar your Licht went down like a pussy. MUaaahahahahah
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i think most monsters died in like a couple of hits heh. which I thought was pretty damn cool, don't have to so obviously "deplete" their hitpoints anymore, seems like a much better way to do it, seriously though how many "swings" with a longsword should it take to take down a little zombified rotting corpse anyway?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah i think most monsters died in like a couple of hits heh. which I thought was pretty damn cool, don't have to so obviously "deplete" their hitpoints anymore, seems like a much better way to do it, seriously though how many "swings" with a longsword should it take to take down a little zombified rotting corpse anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a bloody walkthrough, they use a maxed out char to show you crap, i really doubt enemies will drop like flies when you properly play the game...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed, that's what I was thinking too, Toomas smile.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing I'm unsure of is that their own demo of the game had a bad framerate. I just got a top of the line rig back in March and I sure hope it can play this one on max settings properly.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    nitzmoff: I think that's because he was playing the XBox version, not the PC. I notice he said "Push the control stick to the side", which implies a console controller, surely if you were playing it on PC you'd use mouse and keyboard?

Anyway, I think the frame stutters and jerks were because of XBoxyness... certainly older games that ran fine on the PC had trouble on the XBox, too...
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    I've got a pretty beefy machine, I can run Hailf Life 2 full spec.

I hope I'll be able to do the same with Oblivion.
    Those graphics are just so tasty.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyway, I think the frame stutters and jerks were because of XBoxyness... certainly older games that ran fine on the PC had trouble on the XBox, too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not forget the reverse was also true....Halo PC anyone? That game ran like ASS on the PC (at least when I played the demo), but pretty darn smooth on Xbox.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah true but the demo was from E3! The code wasnt optimized and you cant really beef up your Xbox like you can your PC with prototype cards and stuff you get if you do high profile games...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    was that xbox? part of me doubts that...

at the start they used a mouse driven UI system.... i HIGHLY doubt that will be that way on a console.

regardless, it looks sweet, and could be fun. I never played Morrowind, or any of those games.. but yeah - it still looks coo