Home General Discussion

Duke Nukem Forever Cancelled?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
I never thought that they would finish it, but I never thought that they would cancel it either...

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/655/655086p1.html

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    nope, that's talking about one of the versions in dev during 97, maybe the q2 engine one or earlier.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    "NOTE: Please take care to note that this FAQ is not ours. It's not written by us. We just host it on our site as a convienence. And no, DNF is not cancelled - to those who wrote in regarding that in the FAQ, make sure and read closer (Hello Apache). smile.gif"
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldnt make sense to cancel DNF anyway.... I mean spending about 10 years of dev to cancel one of the most anticipated games in history?

Also a guy who applied there said that DNF is alive...in a fairly good state...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    hahah, ok. Yea, guess I should read more closely and carefully next time tongue.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Is DNF still considered "anticipated?" let alone "most anticipated?"
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno, I just guessed, Also I am drunk.. so... DO NOT BELIVE ME
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Friends don't let friends browse drunk.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Please, Stop with this non-sense. Its never going to be released.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    DNF isn't anticipated but I'm sure many will buy it just to see what became of it after all that time.
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    I'm anticipating it...

Damn, you had me going with that for a moment, I really want to play this game.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    In case you're wondering, yes this post in is fact a joke. Every time 3D Realms updates its FAQ some sites invariably posts about the cancellation so we thought we'd just be proactive and point out that the DNF mentioned above was for the original Platformer version.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thankyou and goodnight.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly I’d like to see them take a second team and develop an interim Duke Nukem game under a new moniker (Duke Nukem [insert catchy name here]) just to appease the fans plus give them more time to make Duke Nukem Forever everything they want it to be. This would do a few things for them. Keep the IP (intellectual property) alive and in the publics eye. Bring in revenue to, in tern, pump into Forever’s development. Appease the fans for the time being and give them some breathing room. In fact I would even publicly announce that Forever has been shelved and get it off the radar all together. This again would give them breathing room so that they can finish and prepare for a new marketing plan.

Regardless of what happens Duke Nukem Forever will sell and sell well once released. What they do risk is waiting so long that their original fan base will no longer be around. I for one got into games after the Duke Nukem craze and have never played it. I only know about it from word of mouth and from the constant jokes about its delay. I can easily see a scenario where the majority of the gaming public simply doesn’t care about the game because they know nothing of the original games. They are either casual gamers or simply came of age/got into games during the time that Forever was in development. This to me is a major reason why they should do an interim game simply to remind people about the IP and to build a new fan base before the “big show” hits.

- BoBo
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    While we are on the DN subject...

I recently (re)tried Duke Nukem 3D. It's been YEARS since I last played it, that was on a friends computer that was SOOOO powerful it could run DN3D at full speed laugh.gif

Question is, do you guys know a way to make it play just like quake and the likes? I am running into troubles when configuring the cfg, I can't get the mouse to act like in a 21st century FPS...

Thanks!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its not possbile pior. It was never meant to work that way and its just odd. Maybe somebody made a hack. search for google?
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    I know they made Duke 3D open source recently, so hopefully someone will 'modernise' Duke 3D soon.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I loved duke nukem( not in the biblical sense)
    I say let it rest in peace.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Honestly I’d like to see them take a second team and develop an interim Duke Nukem game under a new moniker (Duke Nukem [insert catchy name here]) just to appease the fans plus give them more time to make Duke Nukem Forever everything they want it to be.

. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

There was that PS1 game - Duke Nukem: Time to Kill(had a really awesome old west ghost town level), and the side scroller Duke Nukem: The Manhattan Project. My guess is that after 3D Realms got $10 million for the Max Payne IP, they decided they should start charging a lot more to license Duke, and since then nobody has been willing to pony up the cash.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    pior, just hit I and U while playing duke and you'll get mouselook and a crosshair. smile.gif

and no, duke's engine is vertex/line/sector based and is raytraced and it's not possible to look straight up and down, it just shears the screen

[ QUOTE ]
    I know they made Duke 3D open source recently, so hopefully someone will 'modernise' Duke 3D soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

you seriously need to get out from under your rock

no, the port doesn't improve the control scheme, however it's a windows port and it also has a (shoddy imo) opengl renderer.
  • Moz
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think the fanbase has died at all; I just checked the gamespot forums for this title after seeing this post and people are contastantly wondering. 3DRealms is also posting on gamasutra at various times hiring for people to work on it. I don't know where they get the money. I was a big Duke3d fan so I am definately looking forword to it. Interactivity level with you're environment (like duke3d had) is supposed to be extremely high and I love that. I hope they went with an engine that doesn't need an overhaul everytime they feel obsolete.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I'm still waiting for DNF, every few years I go back and watch their E3 video from 2000, that game looked like so much fun, I hope they finally finish this shit and there should be hope as Prey has finally been finished and that game has also been in development for 8 years or so, some kind of junk as DNF as well as being developed by "when it's done" 3drealms. Here is the link to the dude porting duke3d to open gl

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=jfduke3d
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prey was cancelled and restarted a few years later, it wasn't 8 years in development.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Please read the history of Prey. The game started in 1996, so sorry it was in development for nine years not eight.

http://www.apogeegames.com/prey/history.htm
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See? It wasn't eight years in development tongue.gif.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks mmaclcolm for that article, I alwaysw love reading this retro stuff. Its a journey of art and technology over years smile.gif

Does anybody has similar stuff bookmarked? Like the Rebel Boat Rocker story? Xatrix stories. God I love´em all.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    GOT IT TO WORK!

I saw that mouselook thing in the config programm but dropped it because it acted in the reversed, flight sim way. But with a bit of extra searching I found that Y response slider iI just had to put at -1. Now it plays nice and smooth!

LET'S ROCK!