Home Technical Talk

Environment guys

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slum polycounter lvl 18
I hear that environment asset modelling is a pretty sure-fire way to get yourself into the industry. Simply because there are more character artists around than environment.

My question is, for those of you who have worked in studio environments, is there a guy that's dedicated to making 'props' and environment objects to populate scenes, or is that job normally handed to the level designers as well?

I ask because I love making props and world objects. I don't have any experience in actual game level building though. Is this something I should step on if I want to get a job, or what? Something is really attractive to me about creating things that make a world feel alive. When I was in highschool, I used to build props for the theater department, and that carried over when I picked up 3d.

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey slum

I have never worked in a studio so can't answer that bit of your question.

But as far as im aware companies will employ people just to do prop art and to populate the levels with quick fire objects.

Im also aiming to become an enviroment/prop artist becuase as you say there seems to be a lack of them.
    I also have no level design exsperience either and again as far a im aware this isn't to much of a problem.

what you have to make sure of is thatyou have a good set of skills in the 3 major areas (4 if your talking next gen).... low poly modelling/unwrapping/texturing and now high poly...also being able to concept is also genrally seen as a plus point.

get proficiant in these areas,make some scenes and tehre ya go.... man it sounds so damn easy when put like that confused.gif .

john
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, level design and environment art are two very different things. Level designers usually build level layouts, gameplay, pacing, and level asset management. As in, populating the level with objects made by an env artist, making sure it all runs with good framerate, etc. Environment artists create a variety of models, textures, etc for the designer to place. Their main goal is to build a set of assets that look good within technical limitation. Smaller studios often mix these two positions.

As far as character vs environments, games tend to have MUCH more background art than foreground. One character artist can handle the load of an entire game's characters. Where as, environments tend to use a LOT more polygons, details, textures, etc requiring more artists to complete the tasks. Additionally, more people who think they are character artists are actually environment artist building statues and are in denial. wink.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Quit talking about me chris. tongue.gif

I seem to only be able to find env artist stuff so I would have to agree that there is a much better chance making it as a env artist than a character artist. wink.gif
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Additionally, more people who think they are character artists are actually environment artist building statues and are in denial. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha! Well said cholden. Yes, environment people are usually needed more than character people, and many studios hire people to strictly build props to place in levels. That can a be a huge job, especially if objects are destructible and you have to model different damage states. So yeah, you'd be on the right track.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    bronco: Indeed.

Chris: thanks for that bit of info. It's precisely what I wanted to hear. Statues... :P
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    In my experience, there is usually more like a team of guys who do environment/prop work. Different studios may specialize more or less, but usually there is a terrain guy, several props people, and building/structure guys too. Artists may wear only one, or several of these hats.

For me personally as a shooter player, I could care less about the player models, as I'll just pop them in the head and at 75 yards and keep running. The quality of the environment and the weapons make the game for me.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    haha ryno well put man...

John
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    When I was doing environments for a FPS, each artist was completely responsible for 2 or 3 levels. That included modeling, textures, lighting, collision meshes, and special effects. Personally, I don't think it was the best way to go because it resulted in uneven quality across the levels. Some guys were better at SFX or lighting, for example, but they still had to model and texture their own levels.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I've experienced similar issues. You're much better off having people vaguely specialize, and use their skills to the benefit of all of the levels. Plus, the work will just get done way faster, as people will tend to do more of the stuff that they are good at.

The only drawback is that people can end up tripping over each other if you're all tinkering in the same level. Good resource management and some type of source safe tool can help to alleviate this.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    You're much better off having people vaguely specialize, and use their skills to the benefit of all of the levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Enviornment artists are really needed right now. I was quite busy with our last game, as I was the only enviornment artist. Adam Brommel did a little bit of texture work for us, but other than that, I had to do everything for levels/props. It was quite a lot to cram into 8 months.

So yea, defineatly go towards enviornment stuff, if you like it. It's a sure fire ticket to getting some work.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, these words are music to my ears. Sweet, sweet, tunes of joyous love and excitement.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    For every similar studio, theres one thats different. Our artists do a bit of everything whenever its needed. On our last project I did level building and level QA, prop modelling, texturing and animating, character modelling, texturing, rigging and character QA.

My advice would probably be: be excellent in one aspect of your art, but never let the others fall too far behind.