Home General Discussion

Call of Duty 2 Demo out

Since I feel slighted by steam and I don't want to pay (again) for DoD, I was pretty happy to see some other WW2 shooter action for free.

http://www.pcgameworld.com/downloads/file.php/id/6304/

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I played through it last night. I liked the first game. With this demo I was initially impressed. With all the bells and whistles turned on it's a nice looking game. Some nice models and shaders and radiosity ( baked ) lighting. Intense action, great sound. But after I got over the looks, I was abruptly reminded that the playing technique of CoD was to simply remember where each NPC was. I quickly got bored. I mean when I know that a guy is gonna come crashing through a door as part of a scripted sequence, it's just getting a bit silly really.

What was great about the original CoD was its intensity. Unfortunately that relied heavily on scripted events. I think they got away with it back then, but now the formula feels distinctly tired to me. It was just so incredibly linear. As a player I had very little choices to make. I was simply led down the path that the developer forced me on. It was a fun ride, but only once.

It even disheartened me in the industry a bit actually. As a 360 launch title, this is supposedly a 'next gen' game, and it made me realise that all most developers seem to want to improve over current games is graphics. Let's hope I'm proved wrong.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    I havent played the demo, but I understand where Daz is coming from. After watching the game at E3, I came away with a 'meh' feeling about the same scripted feel. It's too bad that levels and events couldnt be developed a bit more modular where playing a level again changes the enemy number, behaviors and possibly goal to be a bit more random. I'll download it tonight and hope for the best.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After playing it for the 3rd time I agree. The replay value is severaly dimished because of the heavily scripted scenes. Also the "openess" of the maps apears to be there but really its almost a straight hallway from point a to b. In a town with all these nooks and ally ways you think there would be more than one way to flank a machine gun.

When I play online games most of my skill being able to pop up in unpredictable spots by taking the road less traveled, or switching up routes I take. But with CoD2, it's the running of the bulls.

I wonder how hard it would be to have 3-5 sets of scenes per each scripted sequence and have them play at random independantly from each other. I really wish developers would work on features like object rotation when a map loads. It doesn't have to randomly create the entire map but have 5 total routes from A-B and only open 3 of them (at random) per map load. Switch up the MG locations, open shop fronts ect.

Having a mondular design like Expendable is talking about would be a great idea and could make lvl design easier? If you could randomize the modules themselves it would be even better. Example, have a module of a store front with 3 random ways it could be presented/used.
    1) closed and or blown out
    2) open but vacant
    3) open and used by the millitary

I don't think it would take that much more time since you are pretty much taking the same asset and changing it slightly, most of the time this idea of recycling art is already done. Something just has to be done about putting it in randomly into the lvl. It seems like a small feature to add but would give games such great replay value. But like Daz said its graphics first everything else second... pitty...
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think switching things around each time would as easy and simple as it sounds. It would lead to annoying and unforeseen bugs. Also the idea of switching MG locations affects the gameplay (obviously) which in turn requires more time spent on design. You can't be completely random about it or the gameplay will be negatively affected and then people will complain even more because the levels don't always work properly.

Don't get me wrong though I am all for thinking and choosing the best approach to a given situation. I am also very dissapointed by the lack of improvement in gameplay in next gen games. From my experience so far they are much more fun to work on as an artist than actually play wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Diablo wasn't buggy because of the random generator, now was it?
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I guess it depends how far you want to take the "randomness". I was just trying to present an idea for why such a direction was avoided in Cod2. I have played some in the past that did it just fine.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Hell(something) : London is suppose to have a good random generator in it. It's from the Ex-Blizzard boys who did Diablo 1 & 2 so kinda expect what it'll be like.

As for the demo. tbh the difference between DirectX 7 and 9 modes were fairly, meh! Graphics reminded me a lot of Brothers in Arms or whatever it's called. It's nice but, no real difference from any other WW2 game really.

The level felt better structured than the original. Still far too linear though. I mean there was literally no-give in where you could go, which is disappointing after your ferried in over the dessert. You would've expect a bit more to it. It was a very short level too, which is what disappointed me about the first game really.

If your going to be linear, then you need to really throw sheer size at the problem to make it less boring and be able to capture peoples attention.

The Bungie guys said it perfectly in thier documentary.
    "You have to make a game to keep the gamer having fun for atleast 30seconds. Then you can add that with another 30, and another. Soon you have a whole game. Without that first 30seconds though, it's doomed to fail."

I think it's particularly true. When our attention span is for games that don't entertain us for more than 5minutes, then it'll just be turned off.

This demo barely lasted 5minutes, that was even taking it slow and cautiously. When things are short you'll feel slightly ripped-off. I mean something has to feel it'll last longer than 5minutes of entertainment to be worth that $50 price tag.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The Bungie guys said it perfectly in thier documentary.
    "You have to make a game to keep the gamer having fun for atleast 30seconds. Then you can add that with another 30, and another. Soon you have a whole game. Without that first 30seconds though, it's doomed to fail."

The problem was that they copied and pasted those 30 seconds of fun over and over again.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

As for the demo. tbh the difference between DirectX 7 and 9 modes were fairly, meh! Graphics reminded me a lot of Brothers in Arms or whatever it's called. It's nice but, no real difference from any other WW2 game really.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you missed the soft stencil buffered character shadows, very high polygon models and textures, per pixel shaders and normal and bump maps all over everything then? Sometimes Raven, I seriously wonder If you actually consider what you're saying before making one of your longass posts!! It's a huge leap graphically from BIA and any other WW2 shooter. The Art team have done a bang up job. But my point still stands. The developer neglected to update the gameplay one iota. There is no genuine AI to speak of in this demo at all. It's a shame. I find B.I.A much more fun.

Brothers in Arms:
    bia1.jpg

bia2.jpg

COD2

COD1.jpg

cod2.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did find one AI improvement, Germans don't hide behind something with thier heads convinetly poking out like they did in CoD. Since they duck behind cover when you fire at them you can keep them busy as you or your boys rush em. They don't aways obey this rule and they will always stay in the same spot and eventually pop back up to take another shot.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    something that stood out for me was a rare moment of silence ... everyone piled in behind some sandbags on the beach, and the fire from the enemy briefly stopped as all the friendly troops ducked out of view. Then ... after a slight pause the silence was broken by my mates reloading magazines en masse. Top moment.

Having played through CoD1, this demo and also BiA i come down firmly on the CoD side. While initially impressed with BiA, most of the gameplay degenerated into me screaming "goddammit, when i shoot someone in the HEAD i want them to go DOWN for christs sake!".
    This demo fulfilled this wish brilliantly - i swear, in the interior scenes you can see the suddenly terrified faces of the enemy briefly illuminated in 3 frames by your single muzzle-flash, before his neck is snapped back in a cloud of red.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    i have read somewhere that they are used q3a as a base to built and modify their game engine for cod2, anyone have any more info on that ?

that would account for the lack of ragdolls and dynamic lighting ?

daz, i agree with you that the developers are not exploring the possibilities of giving more depth and innovation in the experience besides cramming fancier graphics
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't recall if CoD2 has ragdoll physics?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the history of CoD according to me (could be wrong).
    The guys that made Metal of Honor (based on the Q3 engine I think), wanted to take it in a new direction but the publisher wanted to play it safe, EA I think. So they broke off, licensed a new copy of Q3 and set about making the improvements they wanted. I THINK* they are still using the same engine but it has changed so much it's not really Q3 any more. Kind of like how Half Life was based off of Q2.

It has death animations instead of ragdoll. It doesn't make sense to toss them around like Raggedy Ann not everyone that is shot will or should go limp the second they are hit. After they lose consciousness its ok to apply ragdoll but they didn't. I think ragdoll has its place, but shouldn't be the only answer to death in games.

I keep waiting for the FPS WW2 shooter that lets you take prisoners or make non lethal shots (arm, hand leg) to take enemies out of combat without killing them. Then interrogate them to better define your mission objectives or find hidden stores of weapons/ammo. They kind of did this in CoD:UO but it was as a scripted sequence you watched, and you didn't have the option to kill the prisoner and press on with the vague mission objective.

On second thought continue to wow me for the first 3min and bore me for the rest of the game. I really do only want better graphics at the expense of game play, what was It thinking.

I have to remember screenshots sell games not gameplay...
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I loved the demo. I think the suspense feeling throughout the game is great. It's beautiful as well, except some of the textures are low-res, but it ran amazingly well with everything on highest 1024x768 2xAA on my 6600gt, so I was happy smile.gif
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not saying ragdoll is the only answer to death in games, but it's definately a better than the canned repetitive death animations CoD had, Esp. in the fast paced MP games where guys were dying left and right.. the animations just got old. I'd much rather see the bodies fly when a grenade goes off in their machine gun nest.. just my opinion.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I loved it, played the demo, played it again, ramped the difficulty up, played it again, ramped it, played it again and went...oh...bored.

It'll be great to play through once, and it'll be great on the LAN. And top marks to the particle guys - superb smoke.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Vig: Infinity Ward started off from scratch with q3a as a base for the original CoD, they didn't use any mohaa code (mohaa licensed ritual's uber tools)
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    did anyone else notice that one of the cries of "open fire!" was sampled from Labyrinth?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No! That was incredibly well spotted Danr. On the subject, I must say that the voice work in general for the British soldiers was superb. Swearing aplenty, and a real good mix of regional accents. Good stuff.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One voice clip bothers me, it sounds distorted. It's of a british soldier saying 'LETS GOOOO'. You can normally hear it a few times as you play but it seems to pop up most often after you send the radio signal to bomb the 88's.

I think I'm still in love with the game and I'm sure I won't be able to put it down after I pick it up. After all CoD had me in its grasp for almost 6 months...

Cheap, I didn't mean to imply they where using the MoH engine. I ment I didn't know if the engine they used for CoD2 is the same as CoD, it looks like it but I can't be certain.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Call of Duty had single player?

Just kidding. Finished it in a couple of days. Then, for the next 2 years, I enjoyed the real strength of COD, the multiplayer. The maps are very well laid out with choke points and room to flank. The best team deathmatch maps around, imo.

To be honest, I could care less about the single player version of any game, as it's the competition and teamwork of multiplayer that I really enjoy. Does the demo have multiplayer?
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I guess you missed the soft stencil buffered character shadows, very high polygon models and textures, per pixel shaders and normal and bump maps all over everything then?

[/ QUOTE ]

CoD2 doesn't look like that here. Not in DirectX9 mode.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    where is "here" ? I screengrabbed these from my machine at home.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    that bloody wankeh...

lol the game looks awesome, plays nice too, I don't care about replayability, i loved playing through it seems very polished, should be pretty damn awesome. I'm rarely impressed with ww2 games, hell no games that have come out just recently managed to impress me at all... but this was really neat, i liked it.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    I loved CoD and I'll definitely buy this one too. I bought BiA and I thought it had some good ideas but I found it repetitive after a while and never finished it. Also I'm not a fan of the U2.x render, so muddy lookin'.

Some things missing -Blood! and sprinting. I found it odd that they would remove that. Being that it is a crucial component in online play. Also did you notice the swastikas were replaced by +.

I seem to be shooting a lot of Germans in the back with this demo. frown.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    There is a blood option in the menu Sett. But yeah, no swastikas is teh suck. Guess they couldn't be bothered to localise for Germany.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice demo. I enjoyed moving around with my squad, making ground and getting around was unique, and so much going on around me made it feel like a living, breathing world...until we killed everybody. :P
    I'll probably play through this demo a few more times, but not sure if I'll get the full because there are so many new games coming out now. frown.gif