Home General Discussion

"Must Have" Console Games?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
I bought a PS2 recently and God of War has rekindled my interest in console gaming. So, what other games out there would you say are "must haves" for the PS2? Xbox? I don't own a Game Cube (yet) but I don't want to leave anyone out so GC owners go ahead and list your faves too.

My list:

PS2
- God of War (only one I have played so far but AWESOME)

Xbox
- PoP: SoT
- Burnout 3

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Katamari Damacy
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Zelda
    Soul Calibur
    Various rpg and turn based strat/rpg's, I'm mostly a computer gamer so it amazing that I'm buying anything for consoles...
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    PS2
    Devil May Cry 3
    Metal Gear Solid 3 (just be warned lengthy cinematics, but it gets good, real good)
    Ico
    Gradius 5
    Oxnary has already mentioned Katamari.

As for the X-Box:
    Burnout revenge
    Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (So Much fun though kinda short you may wanna rent it)
    Mercenaries
    Oddworld: Strangers Wrath
    Forza Motorsport
    Ninja Giaden Black will be out on tuesday and I believe it sells for $30.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Lots of great games out for you to choose from, be sure to check the Greatest Hits for good, cheap games.

The Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank series are all great platformers, and if you can find it Klonoa 2 is a lot fun.

There's also all the GTAs, Final Fantasy's and access to the Ps1 library.

and yes, get Katamari and ICO.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    PS2:
    Devil May Cry 3
    GTA Series
    Katamari Darcy
    Star Ocean 3
    Suikiden is pretty good
    Bloodrayne2
    FinalFantasyX
    Gran Turismo 4
    Guilty Gear X

Xbox:
    Halo1
    Halo2
    Ninja Gaiden (Highly Recommended)
    Prince of Persia (First one)
    NFS:U is pretty fun
    The New Hulk Game
    Burnout3
    Crimson Skies

Those are good ones smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    GC:
    Metroid Prime (the first one, I didn't like the second as much)
    Wind Waker
    Viewtiful Joe
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Resident Evil 4
    Eternal Darkness (not my preference but many like it)
    Soul Calibur 2 (the only fighting game you can play with friends)

I have a PS2 but none of the games I have qualify as "must have".

I'd strike Final Fantasy X and Star Ocean 3 from Sonic's list, both are nice but too flawed to be called "must haves".
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i bought a PS2 for katamari damacy and Ico. i hear there are some other pretty good games for the console as well smile.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd strike Final Fantasy X and Star Ocean 3 from Sonic's list, both are nice but too flawed to be called "must haves".

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? I could possibly see that with SO3, but FFX?
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    Any and all Metal Gear games (except for that one that's not recognized as being a Metal Gear game), Resident Evil 4, um... I have a very low interest in consoles.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Ico, Viewtiful Joe (though i haven't played the Ps2 one, just the GC), SSX3

i also couldn't imagine 5 pissed-up people crowding round a PC to play Bishi Bashi Special
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Against FFX: For example, I'm stuck at the third fight with Seymour, the guy kills me with one hit. The way to get there was hours upon hours of walking along a narrow, linear path (no branches, environment or anything else to break it up) with random encounters roughly every five steps. The monsters are fairly strong and repetitive, after a few minutes I just ran from every fight because it was more tedious and boring than Lineage 2. It still took two hours to walk along that path (interrupted every two seconds with a fight that takes roughly a minute with intro and all, even if you just escape). Can you imagine how incredibly annoyed I was at the time I reached the end? And there's a boss that might or might not require a trick to defeat but every time I want to try it I have to wait through fifteen fucking minutes of cutscenes (that's fifteen minutes skipping all skippable dialogue). Bite me, that's below mediocre, that's downright crap. Never mind the idiotic characters (Only upside: It doesn't include Squall). Sheesh, why is Yuna even allowed to follow you? I mean, doesn't Down's syndrome disqualify you from world saving?

It's like the old "defeat the player" mentality just with "difficulty" as a weapon replaced with "frustration and tediousness".
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Against FFX: For example, I'm stuck at the third fight with Seymour, the guy kills me with one hit. The way to get there was hours upon hours of walking along a narrow, linear path (no branches, environment or anything else to break it up) with random encounters roughly every five steps. The monsters are fairly strong and repetitive, after a few minutes I just ran from every fight because it was more tedious and boring than Lineage 2. It still took two hours to walk along that path (interrupted every two seconds with a fight that takes roughly a minute with intro and all, even if you just escape). Can you imagine how incredibly annoyed I was at the time I reached the end? And there's a boss that might or might not require a trick to defeat but every time I want to try it I have to wait through fifteen fucking minutes of cutscenes (that's fifteen minutes skipping all skippable dialogue). Bite me, that's below mediocre, that's downright crap. Never mind the idiotic characters (Only upside: It doesn't include Squall). Sheesh, why is Yuna even allowed to follow you? I mean, doesn't Down's syndrome disqualify you from world saving?

It's like the old "defeat the player" mentality just with "difficulty" as a weapon replaced with "frustration and tediousness".

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation:

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm crap at FFX

[/ QUOTE ]
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It still took two hours to walk along that path (interrupted every two seconds with a fight that takes roughly a minute with intro and all, even if you just escape). Can you imagine how incredibly annoyed I was at the time I reached the end? And there's a boss that might or might not require a trick to defeat but every time I want to try it I have to wait through fifteen fucking minutes of cutscenes (that's fifteen minutes skipping all skippable dialogue). Bite me, that's below mediocre, that's downright crap. Never mind the idiotic characters (Only upside: It doesn't include Squall). Sheesh, why is Yuna even allowed to follow you? I mean, doesn't Down's syndrome disqualify you from world saving?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya!!! I played FFx not too long ago after having it talked up to me by co-workers. OOF!! What a painful piece of trite to have to sit through, After sitting on my couch for about 12 hours and only 4 of it counted as actual gameplay hours I got mad and gave up, I died once and after clicking through 40 mins of cinematics and story telling points my patiencs=e wore very thin. I atleast got 15 bucks trade in credit for it. I generally have a lot of patiencewhen It comes to many games but the design of today's "Console" rpg's just stinks of bad design and dull gameplay and metrosexual male characters.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine: Yeah, I suck at grinding, I always get bored after five minutes of repetitive levelling.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekken 5
    Fighting games don't exist on the PC for some reason and are better with a control pad anyway, GTA is actually better on the PC...
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tekken 5
    Fighting games don't exist on the PC for some reason and are better with a control pad anyway, GTA is actually better on the PC...

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked GTA:SA PS2 version more than PC one, at first the controls felt awkward (it was the first time i played GTA on console) but after i got used to it then keyboards/mouse combo felt terrible (you might say that you can free aim with mouse but IMHO auto aim suits GTA much better).
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekken 5 is only worth it if everyone you want to play it with has the game themselves, it's too counterintuitive to just learn while you go along. Might be an option if you're sick of Soul Calibur already but you'll want to look into indy PC fighting games first.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Get Fantavision and Ico and Guitaro Man on the PS2
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I really liked FFX as did my mom who had no trouble beating it. Also ICO
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    as for gamecube: if you're into classic 2D shooters: get IKARUGA! that's some groundbreaking gameplay, although a tough one. gradius5 on the PS2 is very good as well. there are a lot of shooters, mainly for the PS2 but you'd need a japanese console to play them.

eternal darkness: i expected something dark and gloomy given the lovecraft setting. however it's rather funny at times - the humour seems non-intended but it's still there smile.gif characters are cruel to look at in closeup - fine, just don't try to do cinematics with that crap. ah, you did, well...
    also the limited camera angle makes it frustrating to play at times. you don't even see what's attack the character - grrr. still, the sanity effects are very well done. it's an easy game so maybe good for a rent.

FFX is great, linear at times, yes (however at a certain point late in the storyline, it really opens up). i got stuck with some boss fights, too. level up a little and also get your characters and aeons on overdrive prior to the battle. then it's rather smooth for anything but the very last bosses.
    i blasted that seymour guy away at times without him getting a single chance to strike back. yunalesca and that morphing thing (stone?) which are supposed to be hard bosses were pieces of cake with that method as well.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    level up a little

I have a feeling I need to spend at least two hours levelling, currently he wipes out my party with one attack. I have all aeons charged up but it's futile, doesn't even take half his health and after that it's at most two more turns until he kills everybody (why you can't come back from the dead and kick his ass I don't know).

If you want shooters, buying them for the PS2 is a waste of money. There's tons of free shooters out there for the PC. The commercial ones aren't necessarily any better. Except for Gradius V, that's made by Treasure. And Treasure sometimes makes awesome games (they do make bad ones though so read reviews).

Does the Gameboy count as a console or is this thread only for the TV-based variety?
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    If you can find it, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for PSX, while too easy, is one of the greatest games ever made.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i remember i leveled up for at least four hours (split over several work-days) - after that the whole game became much easier and i was kinda mad that i hadn't done this earlier because there were some nasty boss battles that required lot's of struggling.
    right now, while playing FFX-2, i'm remembering those lessons learnt. smile.gif

btw. there's a huge difference between playing a good console shooter and some shareware or free pc-shooter. a shooter can actually have depth and clever game design, most of the stuff on pc is mediocre or even awful.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    hijack thread - Rick your av has me lmao - sheesh! smile.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is left punch /right punch counterintutive?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cain: Because there's no relation between input and outcome. Will back+LP cause a jab or a guard breaker or maybe start off a quick combo? How do I do a long ranged attack? What do I have to press for a quick jab when the enemy is too close? And why do I need 110 different moves when 10 already do everything I want?

Thomas: You certainly have a lot of patience.

There's also a big difference between some random freeware shmup for the PC and a good freeware shmup for the PC. Just as there's a difference between a bad shmup for the console and the big flagship shmups for the console. Iridion II is a console game and it sucks vs. TUMIKI Fighters which is a good PC shmup.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got Ico. Great design and environments but the combat is crap. The enemies are really cool but I almost wish they would have just left the combat out. Its' strong point is definitely exploring and puzzle solving.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I'll list a few personal picks...

PS2
    ___
    1.ICO
    2.KATAMARY DAMASHII
    3.MARK OF KRI
    4.METAL GEAR SOLID 2 & 3
    5.GUILTY GEAR X2

XBOX
    ____
    1.NINJA GAIDEN OR NINJA GAIDEN BLACK
    2.BURNOUT REVENGE
    3.DEAD OR ALIVE ULTIMATE
    4.CRIMSON SKIES
    5.OTOGI 1 & 2
    6.GUILTY GEAR X2 #RELOAD

GAMECUBE
    ________
    1.THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: WIND WAKER
    2.METROID PRIME 1 & 2
    3.RESIDENT EVIL 4
    4.NARUTO 1,2 & 3
    5.FINAL FANTASY: CRYSTAL CHRONICLE

Just some of my top picks, maybe not must haves for everyone, but I think they're some of the upper tier.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    final fantasy crystal chronicles was a peice of crap in my opinion. has a horrible camera. I don't like being able to run to the edge of the screen and have the camera play catch up. quit after about 10 minutes playing it and it's gathering dust.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    wow, can't believe no shouts out for PSYCHONAUTS its by far the best console game i've played in years (even tho the last level is cheap) its definately a game to play all the way thru
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Grrr - we're still waiting for a release o0f Psychonauts over here frown.gif ... I borrowed an American version of the XBOX version off a friend but it would only play in black and white - even with the E-nigma video switcher converting from NTSC to PAL...bah humbug
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    If you are a fan of SRPG's any game by Nippon Ichi should keep you busy for weeks. Disgaea, Phantom brave , and Makai Kingdom are what you want to look for. Awesome artwork and a wide open gameplay system. Sure, you have to power lvl like crazy to fight some of the hidden bosses, but I never tired of it. Oh, another great RPG is Digital Devil Saga. Very fun game. I'm waiting on the sequel which I don't believe has been released yet.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burn your consoles, and get back to 3D modeling or work which ever is more important to you.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    No kidding... the only things I have played in months is Fire Emblem (excellent btw) on my DS and I'm working through it at a glacial pace.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Burn your consoles, and get back to 3D modeling or work which ever is more important to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I do 8+ hours a day already. Besides, playing games is "work"; It's all about the R&D, baby tongue.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Gamecube :
    Resident Evil 4
    Zelda the windwaker
    Ikaruga

Xbox:
    Burnout 3
    Oddworld stranger
    Street fighter anniversay collection (sf2+sf3-3rd strike)

Ps2 :
    GTA san andreas
    GTA vice city
    Wipeout Fusion
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    PS2:
    God of War
    Killzone

XBox:
    Halo 2
    Forza Motorsport

Gamecube:
    Resident Evil 4
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    I still stand by my opinion that Tetris Attack on SNES is the best game ever. My ex and I would play that for hours, no talking, no blinking. Just pure competitiveness. As for my cube I love my Smash Bros and Mario Party. I'm so cool!
  • jdevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jdevin polycounter lvl 18
    Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks is fun as hell. Played it for 2+ hours about a week ago and had a ball. The ko-op mode makes that game (I was playing it with a coworker). If you like fighting or adventure games its a good buy. Think a MK version of god of war. But then again I may be biased.