Home Technical Talk

Texturing - Whats Wrong with my settings?

Irodex
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Irodex polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys.

Im pretty new to texturing, and have been watching all the video tutorials I can get my hands on. I have an Intuos 3 and Photoshop. I have been trying to do the Hellboy video tutorial and cant seem to get the same strokes as the artist on the video.

At the step Im at, this is what the artist's painting looks like :

25720091254.jpg

And this is what mine looks like :

25720085875.jpg

As you can see, the lines in mine lack much of the detail and seem to be one solid color. Is there any settings I can set my Wacom to in Photoshop or in the drivers (I currently have the Ocpacity Jitter set at Pen Pressure, same with the Flow) to make my lines look more like his? If you don't know what wrong with mine, could people share what they set their brush settings to in Photoshop to draw lines like that?

Thanks guys, much appriciated.

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I normally dont bother with flow, and set the opacity to pen pressure. Not quite sure why yours isn't working, though. I had problems once with my Wacom not picking up my pressure. Restarting photoshop usually fixed it.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, for some reason mine does that too pretty randomly. SOmetimes when photoshop looses focus. What ive found is either re-opening photoshop works like slum said... Also sometimes it just absolutely WILL NOT work i then unplug my tablet and wait untill i hear that little "unplugged" sound that windows plays. Then I plug it back in. I guess it resets and then it works.

Hope that helps.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. If you're using AIM while using your tablet, you may get pressure sensitivity loss. When you have a chat window out of focus, AIM's taskbar blink feature pulls it into focus, then out again. Somehow, that interferes with photoshop and you've got to restart it.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    dark horizon is one of my favorites here. D_H now isn't it.

i've watched that video when i was learning how to texture about a year ago. not sure how he goes about it. i noticed he painted in blend modes directly, that was fun to play with, and i adopted his use of swatches. what you describe is exactly how you would get the effect you're looking for in your stroke.

just happened to have these two demo images uploaded already so..
    brushsettings.jpg

brushsettings2.jpg

1. opacity jitter as pen pressure? (yup)
    2. current drivers? (yup)
    3. plug in tablet before opening photoshop?

[ QUOTE ]
    If you're using AIM while using your tablet, you may get pressure sensitivity loss.

[/ QUOTE ]
    4. i've found simply minimizing and restoring will fix this

k, good luck.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Irodex: Which version of Photoshop are you using? Brushes were overhauled for version 7. With version 6 and below, you might as well be using a graphire.
  • Irodex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I would turn the Flow control from Pen Pressure just to Off... personally i prefer that constant, I tend to have the Pen Pressure only affecting Opacity.

I hate to say it, too, but ... maybe it's not just photoshop and wacom settings... maybe you just need to practise painting with them until you're comfortable?
  • Irodex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe yup Mop, I think your right. I knew I had some settings screwy with my Wacom/PS, but I needed to get it working correctly before I could get my skills up.

Lucky me, my friends dad who does concept design is *hopefuly* lending me some of the DVD's he has to view.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    where's this tutorial located? smile.gif
  • MoP
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    sweet thanks, I was dumb and didn't see horribledeath's url in the image above until after lunch. smile.gif Anyhow, that's sweet how he switches from photoshop to 3dsmax.. is that possible in Maya and 3dsmax?

I haven't seen that feature.. I'd like to use it more often.. O_o
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    actually I think that he uses a photohop Action he made to overwrite the old file, and 3dsmax update the texture in real-time. So I think it must work on maya too.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Dekard.. he's simply placed the window in the exact same spot as his drawing screen. He's then just minimizing/maximizing in and out of photoshop and max, so yes its possible with maya.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    thnom: Nah, I think he's talking about texture auto-refresh.

Ramucho: You don't even need an action - just load the PSD into Max, it will auto-update every time you save the PSD.

Dekard: I believe Whargoul helped me out with some MEL scripts for refreshing textures at a keypress in Maya. It's not quite as effective as Max's auto-refresh, but it works. Do a search for that in the 2d/3d forums and you might get the MEL script in one of the replies...