Home General Discussion

FF7: Advent Children... damn...

wow.

I just finished watching it twice.

For you FF7 fans, I'm sure you will not be dissapointed.

For you general 3d nuts, I'm sure you will not be dissapointed.

The rendering in this movie is just too good.

The camera moves too much at times, but still, the action scenes were so much fun. They kicked physics out the door, but that just made the fights so much better.

This is what Spirits Within should have been. Stylized and action packed. It's too easy to pick apart CG when you try and go for photo-realism. The materials were fantastic, the special effects were awesome.

This makes me want to go through FF7 again.

Anyways, I'm sure you guys can track it down on your own. Watch it and give us your thoughts.

I can't wait for the DVD release.

Replies

• DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
    yargh matey, treasure hunting we shall!
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    Me too. Fucking kick ass movie.. god damn it's amazing.

I can't get over the quality of it, down-right stunning really.

And, as usual, the sound track kicks ass.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Now we need ninjas! Because pirates + ninjas = cool ^ 4

From what I heard it's not worth it if you haven't played FF7 because there's no backstory given? All I know about FF7 is that Aeris is dead.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished watching it too. Twas amazing!! The action scenes never stopped, I was tense throughout the entire film
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    another 20 hours and I'll have it!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    From what I heard it's not worth it if you haven't played FF7 because there's no backstory given? All I know about FF7 is that Aeris is dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see that.

There were alot of references to FF7. Still though, worth watching for the beautiful lighting and rendering.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    mmmm few more hours and i'll have it too. wink.gif Can't wait!!!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So much for "We are artists, we respect other people's Intellectual Property" but I guess if it isn't software we don't care, eh?
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "We are artists, we respect other people's Intellectual Property"

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall ever saying that. I'll be seeing it in theaters when it comes out and buying the DVD as well, so I don't think they'll lose anything by me wanting to see it a year in advance without dubbing.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I enjoy something I support it. I'll go see it in the theaters and buy it on dvd.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But they aren't releasing it in theaters, are they? I'm getting the DVD for sure. smile.gif
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Wouldn't mind re-watching it in English, saw it a while ago when it'd just been released in Japan.

Yeah it's a straight to DVD/UMD Release, awesome film; while the refferences throughout would mean playing the game would help. The main story still revolves around Cloud and Sephiroth's rivalry.

I don't agree that this is what Spirits Within should've been. Personally I found that to be a stunning film too, providing the concept behind the Final Fantasy in a way that people who've never played the game would relate to.

Unfortunately it was still pitched far too in-depth, so adverage people thought it was boring .. and many die-hard fans hated it because it had nothing to do with the Final Fantasy universe they came to know. Not that if you tried to explain to any of these people that every damn final fantasy has been in an entirely self contained universe (with the exception of Final Fantasy X and X-2 but they were released after TSW)

In my mind Advent Children is the movie that the fans wanted, very clearly what they wanted. It's also one of those films that people will love because it is for the most part pure action.

Just think about how much Square-Enix would clean up if they did re-make a Playstation 3 Final Fantasy VII. I mean you see the reaction from E3, they would be stupid not to cash in. That said if they don't then you can respect them more than Capcom (:coughResidentEvil4cough:)

I look forward to seeing the English translation. Hope they lip-sync better than Final Fantasy X/X-2 though wink.gif
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So much for "We are artists, we respect other people's Intellectual Property" but I guess if it isn't software we don't care, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I very much doubt there isn't one of us who isn't going to buy the DVD ..I know I will for the making of stuff alone plus better resolution ..etc etc
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah! Yeah, because I DON'T want an uncompressed quality film and or making of features to display along with all my other DVDs.

I support what I like. In this day and age, I download before I buy. Too much crap out there. And yes, I actually go out and buy the stuff if I like it.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Think of DL's as getting to see it on TV first. You get to see it, but its not as good of quality and you dont get any extras. For some thats good enough, but me and it seems alot more want more from it and if its good enough are willing to pay for that little bit extra you get when you buy it. Not to mention the pride of ownership of something cool.

Note i havent seen it, but now i know to buy it when it comes out because of this. So they just got a sale they were otherwise not going to get.
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    I watched it last night with the english subtitles, it was pretty damn tight. My only gripe was the camera moving too much during some of the later action scenes. I guess all the cinematic work for the "games" has paid off.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    My new "Favorite Movie" Of all times.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My new "Favorite Movie" Of all times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger that!
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just finished watching it too. Twas amazing!! The action scenes never stopped, I was tense throughout the entire film

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOO!!! I did not KNOW!!!

Just kidding!

Etienne
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    The camera moves too much at times,

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a last minute fix so you wouldn't notice that they forgot to animate the faces again.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    too too good. my god, I am so glad I was not let down by this film. FF7 is my fave of the series (yes even above the almighty 6) so I've been drooling over this for months. There were a few parts that made me choke up as I flashed back to playing FF7. I'm gonna be buying the dvd release as soon as it is available. but in the meantime i think i'll give it a few more viewings smile.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    uh, well...
    lighting is gorgeous, cloth simulation seems very good vor the most part. animation ... first thing that struck me was that you can tell instantly in almost every scene which parts were mo-capped and which hand-animated (kids were sometimes horribly animated). still, looks good all in all, especially some of the facial stuff on tifa.

but what is the point of showing fights like those in AC? you never feel like there's any sort of threat to the life of the combatants, they do not seem to feel pain, regardless if they just have been crushed into a wall or fell a hundred meters. after a while, the fight scenes became pretty annoying to me but that might also be because of that matrix-style everywhere.
    now, having played some FF titles, i do understand that they captured the style of video game fights and translated them onto the big screen, but for me that doesn't work too well.
    breaking the rules of physics is okay, but that requires careful execution. having a character effortlessly jumping around in the air in one scene and having him hanging on a cliff with one hand, desperately trying to pull up - doesn't work at all for me.

also, it's probably just me but your typical RPG party with all the sterotypical characters united looks really cheesy in a movie (especially that reddish four legged creature when it's talking, lol).

at least they should tell the backstory in more detail.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you never feel like there's any sort of threat to the life of the combatants, they do not seem to feel pain, regardless if they just have been crushed into a wall or fell a hundred meters.

That's par for anime. Your complaints sound like you aren't used to anime-style "selective physics" or didn't expect them in a seemingly realistic context.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well, i'm not 14 years old and like to watch fights for the coolness of the effects alone if that's what you mean wink.gif
    as for anime, i have seen several of the more famous ones (ghost in the shell, jin roh, some others). there clearly was pictured that fights are dangerous in those movies. in AC it's more like sport - jumping and kicking and reflecing bullets all over the place.
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    too much chromatic aberration :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Just think about how much Square-Enix would clean up if they did re-make a Playstation 3 Final Fantasy VII. I mean you see the reaction from E3, they would be stupid not to cash in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read an interview with Yasumi Matsuno, and he said after getting such amazing feedback from the FF7 E3 trailer he finds the idea of remaking FF7 for the PS3 intriguing, but admits that it is too late to get started on something like that. Personally I think ever every man woman and child that can wield a mouse should be working on (re)making FF7 for the PS3. I bet it happens but it will be 2-5 years from now when everyone is burned out on FF7. The hype just won't last that long.

Too bad Square/sony didn't have a master plan, which included making FF7(ps3) a launch title. FF7 is the reason I bought a PS, FF7(ps3) is the reason I would by a PS3.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, don't tempt them, they'll just cave in to the fanboys who demand a way to revive Aeris.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    they don't need to. i don't know the FF7 backstory (AC hardly told anything), but aeris seems as alive as tidus from FFX/X-2 in that special FF-way.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I hate Sephiroth and cloud. I'd rather watch Sesshomaru take a cg shower. Call me when the make a ff3/6 movie.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Where is this abailable, now? been wating.. what.. twoyears for this?

Scott
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This movie gave it proper closure. I can live without another FF7.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    to complete skanker's opening lines: for you FF fans, you won't be disappointed. for you general 3d fans, you won't be disappointed. for you non-fans who tend to like movies over sophisticated fan service delivery devices, you may be disappointed smile.gif

the 3D is incredible, and the fan service is, in automobile terms, like getting a complete oil change, tires and engine replaced. but that's what it's about... i haven't finished watching the second half because it just doesn't hold my attention. i bought FF7 back in the day to see what the fuss was about, but i still don't have any real attachment to these characters, so i'm definitely not the target audience.

the bit in the beginning with the jenova recap, where you see the oil or whatnot streaming out of her face is an incredible image. and i did enjoy the humor related to cell phones. that's about all

but yes, if you're a fan, be sure to see it. it's sure to be an ecstatic viewing experience smile.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a huge kick out of that cellphone thing too gauss.

Such an amazing moving. I'm definantly buying this one.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    best fight scenes of any movie that comes to mind right now.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Watched a bit this morning, as far as the Tifa fight (hehe on ringtone). Looks fantastic. Thomasp has already mentioned the uneven nature of the animation. At one moment a charcter can be displaying emotions and thoughts beautifully, they next, they are a stiff puppet. A small fly in a very tasty soup, so far, though.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...when everyone is burned out on FF7. The hype just won't last that long.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see, FF7 is like a cult movie. People don't get burned out on it, they just play it for the rest of their lives. The hype will last for as long as they do. I mean the game is just 1 or 2 years shy of being a decade old.

Personally, I'm not a Final Fantasy fan at all. I havn't played any of them, except Final Fantasy 11, but that's because I like pretty MMOs...

Though this movie, it looks fun, I'm sure it will be on adult swim anyway, seeing how there's like 45 million anime fan kids on it, they'll want to see it on. I just can't see myself buying it though.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Why do cg animated vehicles always look so odd?

Finally found an english subtitle version.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished watching it. A triumph is style over substance. But wht style. Fairly good acting for CG Characters, though the formulaic stoicism of Japanese drama in general gets to be wearing, but the expressions were very subtle, and some of the best rigged shoulders I have ever seen in a 3D film. The change between Keyframing, and mo-cap is indeed abrupt, but would not be noticeable to a lay audience. The sound work was well done, as was the lighing and material handling. Apparently it had a number of "fanboy moments", that I, who dislikes playing that particular genre of games, completely missed. The humans were well done, but the animals were much less well done. I liked the camera work, actually as even though the action was lighting fast, it was clear, and you could follow what was going on. The story, even for the game vets in the audience was still full of "WTF?" moments, but the action was not bad, in that anime way. It's worth a look. Especially for those that wanted to see a final fantasy movie done like the cut scenes, though without the stupid random encounters and low bit depth texture maps.

Scott
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    for all you final fantasy VII fanatics: there's another movie out there done by square. this time it's an anime short movie called "last order".
    apparently this one will only be released as a part of some FF AC collectors edition in japan. or whatever. as always, without the backstory i'm not understanding a lot. mother? jenova? nibelheim? huh...
    and no, fights do not look half as ridiculous when done in that style as opposed to AC.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    did anyone else notice that cloud got shanked in the shoulder, and yet a couple minutes later the only blood in the movie (from the stab) was magically gone?

smile.gif

i enjoyed it a lot, i actually loved the exageratted physics and cool fight scenes. i do pity the person who watches this that hasn't played ff7 though.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome everything.

My biggest complaint is that the impacts were completely unbelievable. If you wanna see good impacts, watch Naruto, specifically epsisode 133 (it might be 139, I forget) but you can have exagerated physics, and realistic impacts. Every time they touched it felt more like a little slap than an actual pound or jump. Better soundwork, and better reactions to these insane hits and swings would have made this movie perfect.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it over the weekend on my friend's bigscreen tv, I was the only person in the group that hasn't played FF7. We watched "Last Order" first then went into "Advent Children".

It wasn't too hard to follow, I just got some quick background about the the characters from my friends and having played FF8, FFX and FFX-2 I wasn't totally new to Final Fantasy.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is "Last order"?

scott
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some bonus they pack into the japanese deluxe package, I think.
  • Seyiji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyiji polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    What is "Last order"?

scott

[/ QUOTE ]Its an anime version of final fantasy 7 recapping the Nibleheim Event where Sepiroth goes crazy.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    anyone know a us release date?