Home› General Discussion

cynics

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
How come that anyone who has worked in the industry for more thne 5 years turns in to a cynical bastard.
I can undertand why, but imho its up to them to find new ways to amuse themsleves , not to pour out their bile on to us newcomers.
I am slowly learning not to trust any fucker I meet in the industry, polyconters excluded of course smile.gif

Replies

• Kristian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kristian polycounter lvl 18
    gazing into the abyss and all that
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah i suppose so, but I have always enjoyed the pure art side of it, so I hope to avoid all that
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    wait a few years, then you might understand heh

r.
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    No, Ruz, you can't trust Polycount-goers either, you can't trust anybody, RUN! RUUUUN!!!!!!

Anyhow, avoid the cynics like Ror here and you'll do just fi -- ah crap, I can't keep a straight face while typing this >_<
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    he he, i just can't stand the 'negtaives', they talk to me all the time and I smile and listen like a fool.
    Ironic as I am 38 on monday and am older then most them , but have only been in the industry for about a year and a half.
    Hooker with a Penis - I am trying to run, but am standing still
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    heh, Cynicism is common to all industries that marry art and buisness, not simply the games industry.

It's a form of self protection in some cases and does not mean people have given up on their job or their art or their profession, its often just a sign of maturity in terms of how one approachs certain aspects of the job.

Some people take things too far, sounds like you have met a few.

Some people are so idealistic and optimistic that they will screw their deadlines everytime or push themselves to crunch willingly so they can meet those deadlines and thats just as unprofessional in the long run too.

My point is, theres a lot can happen in a person's career and you might do well not to underestimate that.
    For my part, i've gone through my most cynical stage already and I'm back on the climb back up toward more positivity for reasons that I don't care to explain.

There are a lot of things that justify a cynical attitude though, sometimes its more a defense mechanism than a bad attitude as you seem to be assuming!

r.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I think you're right, but I also think it's true for most industries. People can be cutthroat assholes when it comes to business. I personally enjoy working with people that care more about the work than stabbing coworkers in the back to "get ahead". IMO you don't get ahead that way, you just get further behind.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    and thats why rhinokey rocks
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    maybe you're working with too many scot's who can't find their whisky
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I can see what you mean Ror, but even taking that in to consideration, as a newcomer you tend to form an impression on what you see, not what you assume may have happened to a person over the course of a career.

i just think its a shame when a person gets to the point where he forgets why he got in to the job in the first place.

There are of course lots of positives too, met some interesting personalties so far since i changed teams within my company and its a fairly laid back here.

Sledgy is right about the cutthroat stuff too. I am developing a bit of a nasty streak , just to avoid getting undermined by certain people.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    I find the fact I haven't been paid yet this month due to the two companies we were providing assets for haven't paid their invoices yet, contributes a great deal to my cynicism.

I love creating art, I hate the completely disorganised and slap-dash nature to business that seems so prevalent in this fine industry of ours.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    The key is to find positive people and don't even 'talk' to people who: trash talk, bitch about people behind their back, ect ect.

These folks seek out new recruits to trash talk as a group. They are like an infection and honestly...imo, they all need to be warned and then fired if they are caught again. If you don't like a place it's your duty to try and mend it or leave. Poisioning your workplace with negativity is horrible, selfish and counter-productive behavior. I can't say i haven't been guilty of this...I have, but not whilst working at that place (it was after the fact, still inexcusable.)

I'm lucky enough to have found this place to work that encourages me to deal with my weaknesses and helps me forget all the trashy times in my career.

-R
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    While many of us like gameart now, I can easily imagine starting to dislike it after doing it for 5-10 years.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    I was looking through my "Monsturo - Art of Carlos Huante" book for some inspiration when I got to the end and read something in the afterword that I think fits well into this thread.

I quote:

" ... It's what what we do after knowing these things that makes us either a cynical, miserable husk of a person, or a strong, self inspired creator who is resilient under pressure, and can continue to produce new, fresh ideas as well as inspire others."
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    I was a cynical bastard long before I got into the industry. tongue.gif

And Ruz, it sounds like you're assuming people are cynical and have bad attitudes because they aren't as optimistic and idealist about how things work as you. There's a word for that: it's naive. When you learn how things work, the wonder goes away.

Frank the Avenger
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I remember that quote. I personally don't think alot of the people in the industry are fit to withstand the pressure, I mean we're artists not fucking marines. Still though there does have to be some sort of mental toughness. I think the usual cycle for a gamedeveloper goes something like this:

1. you get in, all cheery and excited, like FUCK YEAH I'm in the industry.

2. First project passes, its usually a pieces of shit and you're all like, man this crunch thing SUCKS BALLS and the game i worked on SUCKED, shit let me go find something else.

3. A couple of more projects pass and u kind of fall into the whole trap of thinking that the whole industry is the same, thats when you become a cynical jaded bastard. Sounds like FUN TIMES TO ME, CAN'T WAIT!!!

4. And lastly when you're in your late 30s and have been around for awhile you start to settle down, grow some grey hairs and suddenly the world really isn't so bad anymore.

granted this is all just speculation on my part I'm like somewhere between 2 and 3, but I heve met people who've been through it all. Don't see myself becoming cynical any time soon so, I guess thats good. I'm usually a fairly happy employee whatever gets thrown my way, and I'm also slightly masochistic when it comes to work smile.gif you can choose not to be fucking depressed all the time
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The key is to find positive people and don't even 'talk' to people who: trash talk, bitch about people behind their back, ect ect.

These folks seek out new recruits to trash talk as a group. They are like an infection and honestly...imo, they all need to be warned and then fired if they are caught again. If you don't like a place it's your duty to try and mend it or leave. Poisioning your workplace with negativity is horrible, selfish and counter-productive behavior. I can't say i haven't been guilty of this...I have, but not whilst working at that place (it was after the fact, still inexcusable.)

I'm lucky enough to have found this place to work that encourages me to deal with my weaknesses and helps me forget all the trashy times in my career.

-R

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that attitude and I try to exercise it when possible (when I remember!): Don't bring a bitch to the table unless you bring a solution.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There's a word for that: it's naive. When you learn how things work, the wonder goes away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would disagree. Wonderment is a continual process of awareness. Meaning its not a static item. We have to be willing to step back once in awhile to see the idealism as it were. I find such a response more telling of an individual than any global human rule.

Really in short its all a POV. So I think its more than unjustified to simply state that everyone will end up being a cynical bastard (even in this industry). You get out what you put in.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    It's not just games it's every industry by the way . The company I work for is full of a-holes also . In fact the only place I worked with people who actually liked there job was Pizza Hut when I was in my early 20's . We all loved goofing around and having a good time and we had a very good manager who did'nt hire slackers ..or fired them right away .