Home Technical Talk

whats the number one thing that cheeses you off

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
about your chosen 3d / 2d software?

the main thing that cheeses me off about max its its inability to let me select the freaking poly i click on, here is a common conversation between me and 3ds max

me: " hello max, i would like to sellect this ply that i am clicking on"

max" ok so you want the poly behind the one you are clicking on?

me: NO the one that I AM CLICKING ON

max: ok here you go, the poly behind the one you are clicking on!

its really anoying on evviroment stuff here you have a lot of layers of objects,

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    the-having-the-need-to-use-ms3d-because-the-md3/smd/md2/mdl-exporter-sucks thing.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    hahahaha rhino i know exactly what your talking about. >.< That annoys me so bad. CHECK THE DAMN SURFACE NORMAL!!!
  • Faucet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faucet polycounter lvl 18
    Gah! So many things about so many programs!

Well I'd have to say Shake's way of always having the render preview at 360x243... this wouldn't be bad if it wasn't so easy to forget to set your proxy to full res at render time. Last month I spent 3 full days (unpaid because they were after my contract ended) franticly re-rendering because I'd accidently sent out a bunch of shots at half res... Actually that's probably tied with Shake's occasional node names in expressions freakout... it'll just start changing the names of nodes you're calling in expressions. "You want FileIn1.width? Well surely you meant to type Brightness3.width!" This wouldn't be so bad if it did this while you're working on it... but no.. it isn't apparent until you're rendering. It'll mangle them after caching the correct expressions! And god help you if you're using a bunch of expressions and were foolish enough to click "save" before render time... 'cause now not only is your 8 hour render completely useless, but you'll have to go through every expression and try to find what was changed!

And I'd be bitching about a few things in Maya and Photoshop, but you said numero uno...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I hate how when I'm in Illustrator and trying to use the 'Convert Direction Point Tool' and I accidently miss the point I'm trying to click on by a millimeter and a dialogue pops up "Can't convert the direction-point. yadda yadda yadda...."
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    ummm..ignore backfacing guys
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    PaK: What if the face behind the one you want to select is not backfacing? wink.gif
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Character Studio:

I hate...

...that you can't use Move-All-Mode with Biped when the COM is linked to anything.

...that I can't set IK keys for the left and right foot in one click.

...that there is no append load for bip files.

...that MAXscripts I write seem to only install and work properly for me, and no one else.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pak, its not backfacing,
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The fact that Maya has to tell me -twice- every time I try and save a read-only, which happens quite frequently. Even more annoying the dialogue boxes don't line up so you can't just click twice and be do0ne, theres movement involved too. Its a tiny thing, but when it happens again and again and again it starts to get to you.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    for the longest time it was clusters. fucking clusters. but now I know they're function, and it's useful. now it's the constant need to freeze to keep the performance smooth. maybe my computer still sucks. can't think of much else.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX: better than me, I can't really find anything to truly complain about with XSI.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    literally numerous stuff about max and maya. but right now it's discreet flame's whole stoneage-interface i have to learn and still hate with a true passion - i want back to shake! faucet, i actually envy you for your little to no problems wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The only real error would be that in Blender, when you have "ignore occluded" on (you can't select what isn't visible) a vert is sometimes considered occluded when you're seeing its surface at an angle. Another annoyance is that I sometimes forget that there's still a selection (e.g. after leaving and reentering editmode, that randomly removes vertices from your selection and sometimes it looks like it unselected all but one or two verts were left selected), add to the selection and try to do something. Rather nasty when you mess up another part of the model that way but so far I've been lucky enough not to do anything non-reversible.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about the faulty new axis selection, it sometimes selects the axis that's orthogonal to your view and when it does that you can forget about selecting anything else.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    the worst thing, probably ever, was Adobe's refusal to provide a blend-mode menu on the right click after Photoshop 5.5 - not even a fucking OPTION to turn it back on.

Therefore, to my mind, 5.5 was the last version of Photoshop that actually worked. Everything else is inherently broken.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I used to have my pen button set to right click and I would switch between blend-modes on the fly, that's why I recently dug up my copy of Photoshop 5 and reinstalled it.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Perhaps the new bug in Photoshop CS2 where when you click to close *Window A* after saving and it closes *Window B* erroneously which was usually unsaved...all without prompting you to save. Thats really goddamn annoying.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    about your chosen 3d / 2d software?

the main thing that cheeses me off about max its its inability to let me select the freaking poly i click on, here is a common conversation between me and 3ds max

me: " hello max, i would like to sellect this ply that i am clicking on"

max" ok so you want the poly behind the one you are clicking on?

me: NO the one that I AM CLICKING ON

max: ok here you go, the poly behind the one you are clicking on!

its really anoying on evviroment stuff here you have a lot of layers of objects,

[/ QUOTE ]

...Ignore backfacing is nice?

The thing that annoys me most... Maya's UV editor sucks, and it has no connect tool and no select loop/ring. (MJ poly tools is good and all, but not as good as max.)

In Max... haven't used it for a while, I forget.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    for max when I did use it, i'd say the whole workflow pissed me off. with maya when I used it I found it overly complicated some things. somethings were fine, but other items were overly complicated and was easy to get confused.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    alpha sorting.
    work, damn you, work.
  • DirtEater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirtEater polycounter lvl 18
    What used to annoy the hell out of me and still boggles my mind is that it took until the CS release to have the ability to assign hotkeys in Photoshop.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you fuckers should try and understand the nightmare I have with photoshop, max, illustrator, flash and PDFsoftware not letting me open or save files that use Japanese file names or are in folders with Japanese filenames.

Literally, all the batch commands are borked too. It's not windows fault either, Word and Office handle Japanese text super duper fucking A-OK! It's the short sighted bonkers mad way adobe etc test their software. It took what, 11 versions of photoshop before they realised that the cursors are not visable on gray?? And it might be a "cool" idea to make the cursors use thier own difference method so you don't go crazy in cs2 (which I got my money back on)

I was even thinking about installing a Japanese OS and Japanese software but that would cost me a frikkin fortune.

Max selecting faces is like ZEN for me now, relax.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken hit the nail on the head with the photoshop cursor problem.

Second to that, the thing that irks me more than anything else about software these days is the fact that just about every 'new' version of a package costs hundreds more than the previous one and you garbage in return. They just dont give you your money's worth with the new features. Companies thrive on the market that's saturated with consumer developers having to stay 'ahead of the game' which means owning all the newest stuff all the time.

Upgrading Max 6 to 7 was a joke.

Meh...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I hate it when I am trying to minimize a task then accidentally maximize it.
    Then I realise someone has put a rotten fish in my desk.
    I also hate it when you press ctl+alt+ del then the task manager freezes , even though there are no applications running
    You then search through list of processes for the culprit, but then you end up rebooting anyway.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Debabelizer Pro - god damn thing gives a crash error report EVERY TIME I shut it down....grr.

3dsmax - inability to slide new objects into an existing hierarchy in the heirarchy view. Our engine uses this as it's sorting graph, so things need to be in order to sort properly. It's BEYOND annoying having to unlink 40 objects, and have to relink them one at a time.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PHOTOSHOP, it insisting to save everything with copy on the end,, i see a check where suposedly i can turn this off... but the check is always greyed out.

the cursor bing at a 50% grey is a heap o crap also
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It usually only does that if you have an alpha channel or something, and try to save it as a format that doesn't support alphas, such as BMP.

It certainly is annoying, though.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    It does that when saving as this format or with these settings will cause a loss of information (layers, paths, whatever you have in your image) so you can still press CTRL+S and save without losing anything. I wish it wouldn't add the " copy" part to my filenames, though. I don't have my working files in TGA format anyway so I don't risk overwriting them.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I hate in Max when I have the Unwrap modifier at the top of my stack, how my view shortcuts stop working (ctrl + r)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas: Try holding down ALT + Middle Mouse button to rotate the view, instead of changing to Rotate mode? I find this a lot faster, and it always works.

Rhinokey, KDR: Heh, yeah, I've run up against that one a few times myself...

The main annoying thing for me is when I have to reset XForms or do weird things with transformations in order to get everything looking right... probably mainly my fault in the first place, though, heh.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    When your scene gets really full up with materials in Maya in the Hypershade, If you double click on the material you want to edit, it will often open the one next to it instead, as Maya gets confused by some kind of delay in loading all the mats. It's pretty infuriating. The workaround is to drag it into the workspace window below and then work on it.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that there is no visual way of telling you your selection isn't being shown, no, it has to be this annoying popup that completely ruins your workflow, moreso because you can't time it, as it tends to pop up pretty late on slow computers and/or large files
    The fact i can't assign a key to next/previous brush, both of which don't work on my azerty keyboard.
    edit: and what justin said. I liked all of the cs additions to illustrator, but i for one wouldn't mind if it would be less anal about some things.
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    What I despise is when using 3dsmax7 in edit poly mode...scale or move vertices my mover,pointer,extruder,ect dissapears and I cant tell wheater im on the xyz axis.
    What i also don't like is now that when i rotate an object it makes the object invisible with the selection box around it.
    This will help explain my frustrating problem...help if you can...cmon...you know you want too...
    Edit:thanks everyone for help,Now I know max isnt borken(i felt like hawken too).
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Photoshop: I hate that when I turn the "fit on screen" zoom button my document appears aliased, i mean with all the ressource photoshop takes couldn't they put some kind of cool resampling system when your document is at low resolutions?
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What I despise is when using 3dsmax7 in edit poly mode...scale or move vertices my mover,pointer,extruder,ect dissapears and I cant tell wheater im on the xyz axis.

[/ QUOTE ]

press "X" ?

[ QUOTE ]

What i also don't like is now that when i rotate an object it makes the object invisible with the selection box around it.

[/ QUOTE ]

press "O"
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Mop, thanks. I'm rendering now, but when it gets done I'll check it out!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

press "X" ?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

press "O"

[/ QUOTE ]
    And then rebind both keys to something thats actually useful so you never have to worry about accidentally hitting them again.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha, yes, if I was given money for every time I've had to tell someone to hit "X" or "O" to solve the problem that's been dogging them for days, I'd be a rich man.

Stupidest. Default. Shortcut. Keys. Evar.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Took me a while to find these, I seriously thought I'd broken max.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya i used to acidently hit x, and more oftenly o a lot when i would accidently start typing a im to someone while still having max active, usualy i mange to fix this, but just going into max and retyping exactly what i typed to fuck things up
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Haha yeah mojo I've done that before. Now I actually went and edited the hotkeys so those buttons don't do anything anymore tongue.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    With photoshop I hate it when I load it up and do a paste right away that it just doesn't create a new image with the pasted content in it.
    Noooo...you first have to create a blank document and then paste the content in it.
    I guess I have been using Paint Shop Pro for too long.