Home› General Discussion

[noob]questions..

The_Synj
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
The_Synj polycounter lvl 18
Anyways, im new to the forums and was wondering if anyone could awnser some of the following questions to help me out to learn howto model. I AM a noob, so i dont know much about modelling. an could use some help.
whats the best modelling program?(easy, free, fun)-dont say milkshape mad.gif
whats the best texture painter program?(easy, free, fun)
another note:
i bought Zbrush 2 off a friend today for cheap..but he lost his case and POP code...and now i cant even use the program, he moved away too..so i cant get my money back..does anyone know where i can get another pop code?(front of disk=scratched bad..so if it was on there..i cant read it../back of disk(data is..is perfect).
the disk works..but it asks for a POP code, wich i cant supply crazy.gif, but if you cant help me there..just awnser the questions.
...btw, dont say milkshape as a good program..i have had it..it was easy, but really not good oO.
thanks in advanced..i is a noob ooo.gif

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    it sticks
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8173&an=0&page=0#8173

Your zbrush request sounds like warez asking for a crack.
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, i dont want a crack..i wanna know if theres something i can say to prove i own it..so i can send the info to the creators of zbrush(pixologic). because, as of now..i really have no proof..and i dont want to throw away a cd..i COULD use. anyways, thanks for the topic..i might just dload the zbrush demo..then buy it later on full price. because all the work i see with it makes me mad that i cant get mine mad.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    no, i dont want a crack..i wanna know if theres something i can say to prove i own it..so i can send the info to the creators of zbrush(pixologic). because, as of now..i really have no proof..and i dont want to throw away a cd..i COULD use. anyways, thanks for the topic..i might just dload the zbrush demo..then buy it later on full price. because all the work i see with it makes me mad that i cant get mine mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ever thought about sending pixologic the copy of zbrush through postal delivery?
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill look into that later tonight..anyways, anyone recommend a program to use?..i mean there plenty to choose from..but wich is the best?..it would help if you just said what you use.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    wings and gimp if you want free.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    You're friend pirated Zbrush (just like everyone else does) put it on a CD, and sold it too you for cheap? And you want pixologic to hand you a code to activate it? Do you have a receipt? No.

you want Wings and Gimp. there is no "best". if there was, we'd all be using it.

if someone recommends you download 3ds max, put your hands around his neck and choke him til he is dead. and then kill him.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Why don't you grab the Softimage XSI modtool. It's free and does everything the full app does and is a "high level" software.

Heres link:
    http://www.softimage.com/home/

And Tutorials:
    http://www.edharriss.com/
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    holy crap i haven't mentioned blender yet, it's totally free

http://www.blender.org

If a dumbass like me can use it, it must be good! It's python-powered, and exporters/importers are written in Python, so you could tweak them if you know what you doing.

shame the commercial-level free software want your info in exchange for an auth code, so perosnally i wouldn't call that free. heh
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Hey come on now, what's this crazy Blender talk...pff :P
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Well, he could have bought it and got a backup from element 5... I know I've mine sitting right here. But aren't licenses non-transferable?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    But aren't licenses non-transferable?

Depends on where you live, some countries outlaw that term.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's my concern. I'm told you're not buying the program, but the license to use it. And that comes from the developer or a reseller.

The_Synj, the best way to find the best app for yourself is to look. Go to each company's website and look into all the features they provide. Try their demo/educational/modtool versions if they provided them. Spend time learning their workflows. Read reviews. Ask questions.
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    holy crap i haven't mentioned blender yet, it's totally free

http://www.blender.org

If a dumbass like me can use it, it must be good! It's python-powered, and exporters/importers are written in Python, so you could tweak them if you know what you doing.

shame the commercial-level free software want your info in exchange for an auth code, so perosnally i wouldn't call that free. heh

[/ QUOTE ]
    well..i have blender xD and damn i must be stupid..because its hard smile.gif, lol..the problem i have is the views..and some of the tutorials arnt up to the newest version...so it pisses me off to try and do them. im also downloading max now..i know its not the easiest program. but i hear it gets good results, wich is what i am aiming for.
    main problem with blender-i did the making a girls face tutorial..but when i get to the part where it says to add a bg..i do so..just like he says..but no BG shows up mad.gif
    alot of anger here latly. hopefully thatl end soon.(tutorial can be found at blender3d.org..or was it blender.org?).
    another note: why do people seem to think Zbrush is a really good program? ive seen the awesome work it does..but is it simple or something?<==just curiouse.
    Thanks for all your comments guys..it really helps smile.gif just wanna get ahold of something to help learn..im only 14, so im doing this a bit early(so i hear...)
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sumguy polycounter lvl 18
    Nothing is simple until you learn the process, then it becomes simple young grasshoppa.

Now go wax my car. sand my floors, then paint my fence.
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nothing is simple until you learn the process, then it becomes simple young grasshoppa.

Now go wax my car. sand my floors, then paint my fence.

[/ QUOTE ]
    do i get a tooth brush?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You wrote:
    im also downloading max now..i know its not the easiest program. but i hear it gets good results, wich is what i am aiming for.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Grind wrote:
    if someone recommends you download 3ds max, put your hands around his neck and choke him til he is dead. and then kill him.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confused.gif so..no to max :'(...but blender is for boxmodeling in general aint it?...and wings is for low poly stuff...and milkshape=stupid<i hate milkshape>
    IM CONFUSED ooo.gif ..i think ill try to do another blender tutorial..lol. maybe ill get it eventually
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wings is better for box modeling thn Blender, Blender is better if you want edge extrusion or something like that and Wings can't do anything outside of mesh modeling.

I'd recommend some interface tutorials (so you know how to use your app) and then some general tutorials (so you learn how to model), usually all the functionality shown in them applies to all apps.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Max is fine and you can run it 30 days in evaluation mode (it should work just like fully licenced copy).
    But its as "easy" as any other professional package out there...
    If you d/l it do the tutorials that come with it tp get hang of the tools (applies to most of the software).
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    and no one has mentioned Maya ple. I would say download all 3 major "free" software packages, maya ple , softimage XSI , and max in eval mode, and try them out , see what you like.

then try wings. or go and spend a very small amount on silo.

at the end of the day they all do the same stuff.
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    whats the best modelling program?(easy, free, fun)-dont say milkshape

[/ QUOTE ]
    Someone asked pretty much the same thing a little while ago. You may want to check out this topic: best./easiest 3D program? A lot of different tools where mentioned and discussed in it. Milkshape is not a very powerful application indeed when it comes to modelling - you can still use it as an export tool though.

If you want a free modelling tool you should try out some of these tools and pick your own favourite. It all depends on what you want to do with it. However, it's important to remember that your work will not instantly improve just by using a better program. Practice and patience are the key to succes.

Free 3D programs:
    <ul type="square">[*]3dPlus
    [*]Anim8or
    [*]Art of Illusion
    [*]Aztec 3d tools
    [*]Blender Tip
    [*]Delgine 3d Tools Lite
    [*]Freyja
    [*]Gmax
    [*]Jpatch
    [*]K-3D
    [*]MarbleClay
    [*] Maya Learning Edition Tip
    [*]Sharp3D - Use Cygwin on Windows platforms
    [*]TrueSpace 3.2
    [*]Wings3D Tip
    [*] XSI Mod tool Tip[/list]
    Free Normal Mapping tools:
    <ul type="square">[*]NVIDIA Melody
    [*]Open Render Bump (ORB)[/list]Free UV mapping tools:
    <ul type="square">[*]LithUnwrap v1.3
    [*]Unfold 3D - Fraternaware version
    [/list]Free 2D programs:
    <ul type="square">[*]Art Rage [*]Paint.net
    [*]PD Pro v1.2
    [*]PhotoPlus
    [*]Pixia
    [*]Tattoo - Mesh Skinning tool
    [*]The Gimp Tip
    [/list]Free render programs:
    <ul type="square">[*]Povray
    [*]Toxic - Open Source Global Illumination Renderer
    [*]VirtualLight
    [*]Yafray (Yet another free raytracer)
    [/list]And last but not least - here's some newby advice poly121.gif
    <ul type="square">[*]Always use the search button before asking a question - A lot of questions have been answered before.
    [*]Read all the sticky topics - They contain important information.
    [*]Google is your friend.
    [*]Read the forum descriptions carefully - This topic belongs in 2D and 3D discussion and not in the General Discussion forum.
    [*]Stick around and have fun![/list]

Edit: I've added the following programs to the list: 3d Plus (3D program), PD Pro v1.2 & PhotoPlus (2D programs).
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    and wings is for low poly stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

*buzzer* INCORRECT!
  • Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve polycounter lvl 18
    Great post Tes.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I would say download all 3 major "free" software packages, maya ple , softimage XSI , and max in eval mode, and try them out , see what you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

do that. all packages do the same basic thing, it's really which interface you prefer
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tes: wow.. grin.gif if only every1 was that nice, thanks..ill definetly try this stuff out..on another note..how old were all of you when you started modelling?.(jus wondering)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you missed the link within the second post of this thread.
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    i missed half of it mad.gif
    i just read what you said about the crack and replied..i guess i forgot about the link. anyways thanks for it..ill read that too confused.gif i think ill start with wings though..and ill stick to that as much as i can..i dont think blenders for me frown.gif off to waste hours of my life on wings grin.gif
    ----
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for double posting but does anyone know where theres good wings modeling tutorials for human sculptures? ive checked some threads...none..and the ones that are there suck :'(, anyways..i seem to like wings so far..pretty simple. just need some good tuts and im on my way smile.gif
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    i missed half of it mad.gif
    i just read what you said about the crack and replied..i guess i forgot about the link. anyways thanks for it..ill read that too confused.gif i think ill start with wings though..and ill stick to that as much as i can..i dont think blenders for me frown.gif off to waste hours of my life on wings grin.gif
    ----

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, I always thought there should be a single list with all important links. It's much easier to find what you're looking for that way. Especially when everything is categorized.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is easier to browse.

The_Synj: you need to learn the general guidelines of modeling. look for tutorials that aren't app specific, or follow those for other apps, and use Wings3D commands in their place.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    OK, this is going to be closed, mainly because it has all the info you need and it's kind of a warez thread.
This discussion has been closed.