Home Technical Talk

2048x2048 texture in Maya, blurry as shit.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Who knows how to display a 2048x2048 texture in the Maya real time GL viewport without it getting all blurry and shit. Turning on high quality rendering fixes the problem but then I get mipmapping. Any takers to this problem, try it for your self, load up a 2048x2048 in Maya 6.0.1 and see how it looks in real time.

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I know that Max viewports wont show larger than 512x512 textures (256x256 by default) perhaps there is a workaround for this??
    Maybe Maya is similar.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    High Quailty Rendering options box > Display Parameters > set your color and bump texture to 2048. This seems to be working for me.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I stated in my post above I already have high quality rendering turned on with no problems, I was wondering if there is a way to display the texture in the default Maya GL view without the blur. FPS gets pretty low when high quality rendering is turned on.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I don't think so. Sure if you ask your tools programmer something could be worked out. Everything in Maya is flexible to a point it seems. Otherwise there isn't one that I know of.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    You can tune the HQ Rendering to use fast-phong lighting instead, that will certainly speed it up. As far as the regular viewport goes. No you can't use anything higher than 512x512; you can turn the filter for it off though that stops much of the blur, but also the correction from the downsize.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try Window>Settings/Prefs>Display

There might be a Max Texture Display Res slider. Not sure what version they added it in though.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I just tried turning that up as you suggested but it did not seem to make any difference. I've decided to do all my texture previews in the render view now any ways, refreshing a 2048x2048 eats up my ram really fast, but rerendering a region does not require a texture reload. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes as I've found when I talk to the Alias guys at GDC. One guy was saying there is a slider with Mental that until Maya 6.5 version it did absolutely nothing. So that might be the case with other things in Maya like the display res slider. Not sure if they corrected this with 7.0 cause it seems that 2048 will be much more common now.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    Have you tried setting your OpenGL texture setting through you video card. I had problems with the ATI drivers setting low quality mipmaps, which looked like crap in maya.