Home General Discussion

Visible Tattoos?

Weiser_Cain
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
I've been thinking of getting tattoos on my hands since about fifth grade. But even then I realized I'm barely employable as it is and so remain unmarked.
Would solid black tattoos running up my arms be a hindrance in the industry?

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I got both of my pin-up tats on my forearms before I got into the industry, but it is still possible to cover those up with long sleeves. You may want to wait to do your hands until after you have a job in the industry.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    maybe figure out a design that can 'grow'.. something that starts at your shoulder or upper arm, and can be covered even by a short sleeve shirt; then, after you've been around the workplace for a while you can have it expand down your arm.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Cover your whole face in tattoos, you can still go to work if you wear a ski-mask and huge 70´s sunglasses (the ones with brown glasses and golden frames, otherwise you get caught and fired for sure).
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I guess I could get my ass tattooed and work my way up...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    are just getting one of those typical tribal design tattoos? Or are you gonna try and get something that really means something to you and will continue to mean something to you even when youre an old wrinkly fart? Just curious.

As far as your original question, most art jobs dont really care as much about physical appearance, cause youre a freakin artist, however, if one day you decide to quit the art game and get a desk job somewhere, then yes, it will definietly matter.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think he's around here anymore, but wasn't it R3koil who had his chin tattooed?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    you can always work at walmart. more tatoos (associates and customers) there than in the college
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I say get the most unoriginal tattoo you caan think of,the Tazmanian Devil holding a ying yang with some lame chinese proverb written above it.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    The thing with me is to fell good about myself, i dont really need tattoos for that, i don't dislike them either. I guess its really personal, for some people its important to look good, for others world hunger or cancer vaccine is more important. I also like pook
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I doubt many games companies would mind, but if I were you I'd get a non-permanant one, then get it permanant if you still like it when its fading. Personally I don't think I could stand to have one design for my entire life, I'd get bored with it sooner or later smile.gif unless maybe some megaman boss sprites..
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    MoP, yeah R3Koil has some cool facial art going on. As I recall, I believe it's the chin with some forehead action too. He mentioned that people give him shit daily. I would think that kind of display would evoke quite a range of response depending on where you live. I would never tattoo my face just because the face is such a subtle and complex signaling device and I'd be sending the same signal all the time.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Actually R3koil had to have them removed. I remember him telling me that while he loved them, society gave him too much flack and that he couldn't afford to keep them. Apparently in todays society, facial tattoos = baby raper.

I just got my eyebrow pierced three times right in a row, and I have a tattoo, though not visible when I have a shirt on with short sleeves. Basically I feel the same way about that kind of stuff that I do my immature nickname. If something that miniscule can keep me out of the job, either I wouldn't have wanted it anyway (stuck up snotty workplace) or I wasn't good enough yet (to have an appearance issue change their mind about me).

Most game companies are extremely casual. Only the larger more corporate places like some EA offices, Ubisoft, Sony, etc, would be worried about appearences.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    A few years ago I had my hair dyed a bright blue. Other than that, I dressed as I do now- dull casual. No tats, no piercings- I didn't look especially threatening. Over the course of a month I must've been tapped on the shoulder fifteen times by sweet little old ladies asking me, "Tell me, son, why did you do that?" It got annoying.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I have 2 tattoos. One on the back of my right bicep, goes from just below my sholder to my elbow and is visible with a short sleeve t-shirt on. I have another on my leg which is visible with shorts.
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    i have a large circle on the underside of my left forearm and two bands circling my right forearm. i doubt they had any negative impact when i interviewed for the job I have now, but in the scope of things, they are very "low impact" tats.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Last time I checked it is illegal in Maine to get tattoos on your hands or face. I guess anywhere that a suit can't cover up.

I have no tattoos... but, uh, my girlfriend has 'KUNT' across her back/shoulder.