Home General Discussion

I'm never watching horror movies again..

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
Ugh, dammit. I watched "The Grudge" and now i'm afraid to walk up my stairs, or open doors, or look out windows...dammit. For me, it's strictly zombie movies, and godzilla for me. BTW, anyone have a way to make yourself not think of things that scare you? Because...i'm losing sleep over this..(not like i got any in the first place.) Also, they are terribly cliched, and not very good...IMO.

Replies

• jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Think about something else. Concentrate hard.

Alternately, I got over a 'creeping dread' fear when I was young by facing up to it. I had this lurking dread of something coming after me through my bedroom door, but I didn't know what. So I decided to let my imagination run wild and think about just what I was afraid of. What would be the absolute worst thing that could come through the door? I asked myself. The result was hard to describe, but it was anticlimactic to say the least. Guess I wasn't as good at scaring myself as I thought! That feeling never bothered me again.

/jzero
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gah, i just tell myself "It's all a bunch of bullshit" and that works for about...2 seconds, so i have to keep saying it....dammit.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    It must be worse knowing that the grudge was based on a true story frown.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I sometimes used to get this feeling while walking on the moors at midnight. Then I just thought to myself "yeah right, like someone would be waiting out here all night".
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    The Micheal Jackson video "Thriller" scared the crap out of me when I was little. The part before the song starts where he turns into a werewolf.
    The grudge was good though
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    I've found watching a comedy before going to bed relaxes me and make me not thing of things that scare the crap out of me.

Remember when I watched Robocop for the first time, was like it'd just come out on video and I was 8 or something. Had nightmare about that grenade scene for weeks.

Don't know why it wasn't even the worst part of the film.
    The only thing that scares me nowadays are the Alien films. God knows what it is about Alien and Aliens but those things just freak me out too much.

It's like I can't even play Alien Vs Predator on my own when I'm against the Aliens. Probably stems from my dislike of Beatle/Cockroach bugs, they just give me the jibblies.

As I said try watching some comedy, like Red Dwarf or something before bed. You'll find you'll think more about how funny the show was rather than anything else. Eventually the film won't bother you anymore.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    picture jesus in your mind. jesus saves.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Micheal Jackson video "Thriller" scared the crap out of me when I was little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahahahaha me too! I watched it when I was 9 years old and it first premiered on MTV. It was the first time I ever stayed awake for 24 hours straight. LOL The zombies scared me more than the werewolf part though.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I remember this series back in 1978 called armchair thriller. One particular episode was called 'the black nun'
    The image ofr her floating up the corridor with just a black hole where there should have been a face frightend the living crap out of me.
    I had nightmares for weeks

Hhe turned out to be a bloke in a dress in the end
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    hey guys, dont you think its funny he hasnt replied to the thread? Maybe someone, I mean thing, actually does, I mean did, have a grudge against him for some reason frown.giffrown.gif
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Armchair Thriller was very spooky indeed, especially that Nun stuff! Sapphire and Steel had a fair bit of creepiness too =/
    PS. I love deserted asylums =P
    http://www.abandoned-britain.com/photos.htm
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    All the things which scare the crap outta me exsist in real life,like Rosie O'Donnell
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Jimmies??!! Hey are you still there??!! Jimmies??!! JIMMIES!!!!!!!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i watched the grudge with a few friends so unfortunately it wasn't very scarry, but i think that if i watched it alone i might have been pretty creeped out. as it were, there were some awesome moments, worthy of further study. it's a shame i watched it with a bunch of guys who talk shit. that'd ruin any movie.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    The Grudge? Haven't seen that one yet. I do remember the the Ring spooked me. I saw it in theatre at night so when I came home it was dark ooOOOoooOOOoooOOOO. Anyway, I was sure to keep atleast 15 ft away from the tv at all times.

When I was a kid I was actually scared of the movie Tremors. LoL. My room was on the second floor of the house but I still thought one would pop up from the floor at the edge of my bed. My brother actually helped me get through scary movies as a kid. He made rationalize things. He told me that it was a movie... someone was there with a video camera. Who in their right mind would stick around to record all that shit if it was real? Helped out a lot.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    You know what movie still holds up and still scares the crap outta me,Poltergeist
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Grudge? Haven't seen that one yet. I do remember the the Ring spooked me. I saw it in theatre at night so when I came home it was dark ooOOOoooOOOoooOOOO. Anyway, I was sure to keep atleast 15 ft away from the tv at all times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the ring on an Equestrian trip for college, with twenty-eight girls (I was the only guy on the team). When it was over I had to walk them all back to their rooms, they were so scared. But then I got back to my room and I turned my TV around, Hahahahah.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    When I was in college my roommate was in charge of the free movie channel that the school funded. The night The Ring was first aired he and I went to the broadcast station during first midnight showing. Halfway through the movie we cut the feed and left the univ. with nothing but white noise.

We started it up again in a few minutes, but I really like to believe it creeped some folks out.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    meh, The Grudge? I watched David Lynch's 'Eraserhead' alone when I was about 13. I've never quite been the same since and I now am totally immune to any movie that attempts to scare me.
    There was some good British horror stuff on TV when I was growing up. 'Tales Of The Unexpected' ( damn, I can still recall the theme tune ) and the Hammer horror series used to terrify me. They were usually more about people commiting acts rather than classic ghost type stuff. Infinitely more scary imo.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I watched David Lynch's 'Eraserhead' alone when I was about 13.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! Yeah, that movie's bound to fuck up the mind of a 13 year old, god, I wouldn't be suprised if it fucked up the mind of a 30 year old.

Though I remember out of the movies that have scared me in my child hood, the ones that made the most impact were. Ghoulies I was very young, and after watching it, I was actually afriad to sit on the toilet, and Creepshow, because that little Yeti monster scared the shit out of me and for years when I was younger, I beleived it lived in my attic.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    my dad made me watch Razorback, american warewolf in London and Fist of the Northstar when I was 13ish. Enough to prepare anyone.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I freaked out when I was 11 and reading the Exorcist and She starts f*cking Herself with a crucifix.

Recently I read Stephen King's short stories and the Boogeymen got me having nighmares about a Monster in my closet. shakes head.....
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gruh? Meh, i actually did fall asleep, after 1. Turning the lights on, 2. Reading 3 or so 100-200 page books, 3. Drawing for an hour afterwards, 4. Pretending to sleep when my dad got up for work, 5. Stared at the wall for about 10 minutes...
    I fell asleep at like... 4 o' clock.
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    Ringu did it for me as well. But then i just said: "Fuck it, if you're gonna kill me, do it, i dont care" and went to sleep. laugh.gif

While watching one of the Ringu movies with a girl, she almost broke my arm when my computer had a little freeze in playback during something dropping into the water. laugh.gif

When i was little i was watching Stephen King's It, but then my aunt turned it off. Don't know, but i didnt get scared, even though i was, like, 8 or something. laugh.gif
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    This thread is like the darker part of my childhood: Creepshow, Stephen King, Exorcist, American Werewolf in London, Thriller (hah).

I recently watched Lynch's Eraserhead, and I found it to be equal parts surreal and humorous. Some scenes are outright hilarious, but I think some subtleties would be lost if you were younger. Definitely worth another viewing if you haven't seen it since you were a kid.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I'll watch 'scary' movies from time to time, but once the flick is over it's pretty much out of my mind completely, with no after effects. Am I doing it wrong or something? Perhaps I lack the imagination to be properly frightened tongue.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe,I know a guy who loves his horror movies,when I visited his house,we would always watch horror movies and I think ive seen the minority of those that were banned rthough the 70 and 80s and most of them in places I find are just quite funny and most get pretty pridictable.

The evil Dead series,The Exorcist,Nightmare on Elm Street,Chucky,Driller Killer,The WHOLE Halloween series.

But the one movie taht did scare me shitless when it first came out was the orginal "scream".....just the first scene in the house scared the crap out of me and I couldn't watch it from then on. I have seen them all now though and alot of them are just quite funny.

The grudge I saw afew weeks ago and it was pretty spooky,if I watched it again id be more scared though as I never realised it was based on a true story frown.gif.....

John
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    jimmie, which grudge, the original, or the remake? i thought the remake was "ok" but the japanese one scared the shit out of me, evn tho it was much lower budget it had a lot more scare to it,

best way to get over the scare of a movie is to watch a making of special about it,
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I watched Dead Alive (Braindead?) over a decade ago. Probably one of the goriest movies ever. At that age, all the zombies were a bit over the top for my young eyes. Weeks of nightmares. I still enjoyed the lawnmower scene. These days the director is making such films as LotR.

The Evil Dead series was fun. Low budget horror is usually better.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's been 13 years since I've been scared by anything really, that was John Carpenter's remake of The Thing. I really miss being scared, haunted houses aren't any fun now frown.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    How was that game btw?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I watched Dead Alive (Braindead?) over a decade ago. Probably one of the goriest movies ever. At that age, all the zombies were a bit over the top for my young eyes. Weeks of nightmares. I still enjoyed the lawnmower scene. These days the director is making such films as LotR.

The Evil Dead series was fun. Low budget horror is usually better.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Bah! I rented Dead Alive when I was at a friends house, once, and i couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculously gory that was.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    aye DeadAlive (Braindead) was more of a comedy than it was a horror, much like Evil Dead really, tho the first two evil deads were funny and scary... 3rd just being funny in a disney style.
    I wasn't scared by The Thing, more in awe at the arty gorey mutant goodness, god damn the first discovered cadavre was a sexual masterpiece :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    How was that game btw?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I rented it for the console and I suck at console FPS's, I might pick it up for the PC.

RazorBladder: yeah, the creature effects are awesome! The Thing is one of my favorite movies of all time, hands down!