Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    that's fucked up
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    They are going to let the illusion of liberty as long as its profitable for everyone, the day it wont work is when you'll see the brickwall behind the curtains.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    It's old news. Maybe not this spacific case. UK behaves much the same way, as does Singapore, Hong Kong, Pakistan and India. I know many people who have been permanently displaced for these reasons, including my Mom. Here are a few examples:

In 1971 my uncle was put in a UK prison for trying to enter Canada via London. His destination wasn't London. All his documentation was in order but I guess the immigration officer didn't like Ron, cuz he was detained without counsil, or even a phone call.

In 2002 my Mom's uncle, a doctor traveling on a pakistani passport was deported to pakistan while in transit the united states. He had been a US citizen for over 40 years, he was simply born in pakistan. he was traveling on a US passport within the US but the customs officer found his pakistani passport whilst searching him. The pakistani gov doesn't take kindly to their own emmigrating to different nations, so whilst visiting his family in pakistan he tries tio travel on a pakistani passport. the same is true in the USA, so he travels on a US passport when anywhere else. This is not illegal, this breaks no international transit laws of any kind. pakistan is a US ally. he was still barred from re-entering his own nation country of 40 years though. he hasn't returned since. his congressmen obtained a full pardon for him, but he's so disgusted with the way he was treated he has relocated to a new country. sad really. i think he over reacted but...hey, I haven't been barred from re-entering Canada before so I dunno how I'd react.

My mom herself was barred from re-enerting karachi when she was 8-9. Her family visited Bombay so that her mom could give birth amoungst some family members. Because of the war their travel documents were considered invalid because that part of india wasn't India anymore. the indian government surprisingly wiouldn't issue her new travel docs, and pakistan wasn't fond of recognizing non-muslims as citizens. my Mom was a refugee from the ages of about 9-25.

Governments all over the world play these lil games with people's lives. It's not just the "big bad Americans". it's everyone who has an axe to grind and a victim to exploit.

-R
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Pakistan is only our ally because of a dictator.
    You have what right's we grant you, which basicly means you have no rights if you aren't a citizen.
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...the U.S. government is interpreting its powers in such a way that passengers never intending to enter the U.S. connecting to international flights at U.S. airports...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Umm you're in the US if you're in a US airport, and in order to get to those airports you'd probably have to fly ove a US city or two.
    I (to no ones great surprise) don't have a problem with this.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Weiser, you and I can both agree that when Iranians detained American citizens without cause in their country in the early 80's and didn't grant U.S. citizens international rights that they agreed to previously (American's never install an embassy w/o those rights) was wrong. it was totally wrong. This is the same situation...only the tables have been turned. right?

Whenever you enter the USA you are required to state your intentions. Once this is done and you pass through security you are no longer a threat. if you are than you shouldn't have been allowed to enter in teh first place. Your passport is screened at the port of 'departure' by INS officers. If they want you out they can keep you out, there is zero excuse for any nation to behave this way. Yet they all do. I'm not picking on any one nation here, I figured thatw as clear in my post.

Seriously dude...if you are a guest by choice in someone elses country that's one thing...but

-if you have no intention to stay and are just passing through.

-and there are excellent resources and safe guards to keep people out from the point of departure.

-not to mention the double standard Michael Fay and such have set that exclude the privalged from the same harsh rules in other countries.

then where is your argument?

Pakistan is The U.S's ally cuz its convienient for both sides. Are accually suggesting that the U.S. is only making a deal with pakistan because they have a dictator? That totally makes no sense and doesn't line up with what this gov'ments self professed foriegn policy.

i don't understand what you're getting at. Both your points, could you clairfy?

-R
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Pakistan is only our ally because of a dictator.
    You have what right's we grant you, which basicly means you have no rights if you aren't a citizen.
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...the U.S. government is interpreting its powers in such a way that passengers never intending to enter the U.S. connecting to international flights at U.S. airports...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Umm you're in the US if you're in a US airport, and in order to get to those airports you'd probably have to fly ove a US city or two.
    I (to no ones great surprise) don't have a problem with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

God I want to leave this country so bad sometimes frown.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18

You remember that UN law grants basic rights to every human?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I always find that it helps to be clean shaven and have neat hair when flying about the place.

I've never had any trouble with customs in my short but busy flight record. My friend on the other hand, who is half Turkish, gets stopped and searched on every flight he's ever been on.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    So do i Daz, so do i...
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    So do i Daz, so do i...

[/ QUOTE ]

so uh, see ya!
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    So do i Daz, so do i...

[/ QUOTE ]

so uh, go then?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html

Here are a few.

Article 5.

No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

Article 6.

Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.

Article 7.

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 8.

Everyone has the right to an effective remedy by the competent national tribunals for acts violating the fundamental rights granted him by the constitution or by law.

Article 9.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Its funny that we see the rights we have in this country as sacred but if your not American somehow that doesnt apply to you, what enititles us to basic human rights but not others?

Rick despite the fact that we are the sigantories of the United Nation charter and in our constitution it clearly states we must abide to any treaties or agreements in which we are signatories and despite the fact it clearly states it will be the law of the land, our President doesnt not care about our laws or the constitution and violates this law.

Thats an impeachable offense,butnoone has the courage to hold him accountable to these laws which he supposedly supports and defends.

but hey when someone subjects our citizens to the same type of treatment its an outrage.

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Well, not all Americans are as one dimensional as either Weiser or Foe.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    God bless good old-fashioned American double standards!
    They're what this country was founded on, after all.

/jzero
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    They aren't 2D, have a heart man *sniffs* they have 'colorful' personalities. You know...like #:6B4707

-R
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What brilliant input!

Although what happened was wrong, it's a tough call on how much the US overstepped their boundaries. I'm sure the media exagerrated the story a bit, and he exagerrated his story a bit.

"At most, Mason told the judge, a foreign passenger detained while travelling through a U.S. airport might have a limited right to protection from "gross physical abuse.""

Paragraphs with tricky language like that make me wonder.

Either way, the US needs to realise that treating every terrorist-looking person that comes in like shit isn't going to protect us. (Or maybe it's working?:P) We're going to keep pissing off more and more people and countries until we're satisfied that they are still weaker than us.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought they only had #FFFFFF or #000000?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    What brilliant input!

[/ QUOTE ]

Look before you leap. I was speaking towards those in the thread who were upset by the lack of even trying to see more than one side (which you thankfully are). Not about the issue per say.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What brilliant input!

Although what happened was wrong, it's a tough call on how much the US overstepped their boundaries. I'm sure the media exagerrated the story a bit, and he exagerrated his story a bit.

"At most, Mason told the judge, a foreign passenger detained while travelling through a U.S. airport might have a limited right to protection from "gross physical abuse.""

Paragraphs with tricky language like that make me wonder.

Either way, the US needs to realise that treating every terrorist-looking person that comes in like shit isn't going to protect us. (Or maybe it's working?:P) We're going to keep pissing off more and more people and countries until we're satisfied that they are still weaker than us.

[/ QUOTE ]

The part of "Gross physical abuse" seems to be a quote from the lawyer for the U.S goverment, if its in quotes i imagine its what she said,so unless the reporter flat out distorted what this lawyer said, then it does not appear to me that the reporter of this story is playing around withthe language.

EDIT:Here you go looked up other news sources

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/10/nyregion/10civil.html

gross physical abuse is exactly what the lawyer said proving the cbc reporter didnt not distort the language in his report

Sonic i recommend before you jump to the conclusion that the reporter is exagerating a story to look up the same news story from other news outlets then make your opinion before assuming the reporter is attemping to play around with the language involved in the story.

Not every reporter out there is of the type youll see on fox news or CNN,there are still honost reporters left.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    good call havier.

-R
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    good call havier.

-R

[/ QUOTE ]

Its Javier kit boy!! wink.gif
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Why is that whenever something horrible is done, after the influx of sympathy the morons come riding in on horse back to support the crime and then brush it under the rug before anyone can get anything else in?
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can assure you I am 3 dimensional. oh and you dont know me for shit so how can you say that at all? pretty one dimensional to make such a snap judgement don't you think?

regardless, i feel for the guy, what happened was horrible, at the same time we'll never know the full story, he could have been acting in a way that was perceived incorrectly or suspicious or even as a threat, on the otherside, why isnt the country that imprisoned and tortured him for a year being sued? I would think that's a bit more serious than being deported, don't you? but i guess to some it doesnt matter, anything to make the U.S. look like the bad guy. No, our country isn't perfect, it has a shitload of issues as do other countries, but I'm proud to be an American, we make mistakes as do others, but there are few places in the world that are allowed the freedoms that we have.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Well i imagine the reason he is sueing the U.S is because it was the U.S who detained him without charge,denied him his rights to due process and sent him to a country which would almost certainly torture him?

Acting in away which is suspicious is grounds to look furthur into a person but if were no charges filed and no acess to a lawyer and then deported that is not right.

The torture is serious Foe but so is the pattern of Extraordinary Rendition this goverment has shown is just as serious, its a way to bypass our laws to try to gain information.

Its good to love your country,i love America too,but when i see its not living up to the standards and principles it stands for i will not ignore it nor excuse it, there is nothing wrong nor unpatriotic by trying to make your country live up to the ideals we are fighting for.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    he could have been acting in a way that was perceived incorrectly or suspicious or even as a threat..

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, that is possible. it's still not grounds for torture or unlawful imprisonment. You are misinterperating the critiques in this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
    on the otherside, why isnt the country that imprisoned and tortured him for a year being sued?

[/ QUOTE ] he has legal representation and he is suing. Reasearch a bit bro.

[ QUOTE ]
    we make mistakes as do others, but there are few places in the world that are allowed the freedoms that we have.

[/ QUOTE ] how very true. This is the reason non-Americans find it particularly displeasing when they aren't treeated with the same human rights just as all their
    american friends surrounding them within the boarders of the land of the free.

It's hard to understand what non-americans complain about while you're being treated with respect. I'm not surprised at all when americans wonder what everyone else is complaining about, because the vast majority have no reason to empathize.

Sad really.

-R
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well i imagine the reason he is sueing the U.S is because it was the U.S who detained him without charge,denied him his rights to due process and sent him to a country which would almost certainly torture him?

Acting in away which is suspicious is grounds to look furthur into a person but if were no charges filed and no acess to a lawyer and then deported that is not right.

The torture is serious Foe but so is the pattern of Extraordinary Rendition this goverment has shown is just as serious, its a way to bypass our laws to try to gain information.

Its good to love your country,i love America too,but when i see its not living up to the standards and principles it stands for i will not ignore it nor excuse it, there is nothing wrong nor unpatriotic by trying to make your country live up to the ideals we are fighting for.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with you. he may or not have deserved being deported, but if it's going to be made an issue worthy of a lawsuit, me personally i'd go after the bastards that wrongly imprisoned me for a year and subjected me to torture, or maybe the people who were responsible for him being shipped from Jordan to Syria where he was tortured.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actaully I know a bit more about the case than you perceive me to Foe.. great program called Democracy Now covered this story months ago. Including iveterview with him and his family (and questions toward the US and Canadian officials which went unanswered)just after he finally managed to get out of Syria.

He had done nothing to have been detained and deported. If he had, then the US government has failed thus far to give a reason.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    on the otherside, why isnt the country that imprisoned and tortured him for a year being sued?

[/ QUOTE ]

he has legal representation and he is suing. Reasearch a bit bro.

Ive seen NOTHING that states he is suing Syria where he was imprisoned and tortured

check the CRC website they are only suing John Ashcroft and other "responsible" American parties.

linka dink

http://www.ccr-ny.org/v2/home.asp
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Syria doesn't have a a robust and mature enough inetrnational legal system to hold them accounatble. Geneva convention and the newer more applicable U.N. treties associated with human rights, there's your reason.

-R
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just read that interview on Democracy Now, if it is in fact true that our government is intentionally sending people to other countries to be tortured that's completely FUCKED, someone needs to be drug out into the street and beaten if that's case.

what's that sound? did I just gain another dimension?!?! kinda hurts...
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Syria doesn't have a a robust and mature enough inetrnational legal system to hold them accounatble. Geneva convention and the newer more applicable U.N. treties associated with human rights, there's your reason.

-R

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i thought about that, the Syrian Gov would just give the CRC a big F.U.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    hey man, I never agrered with that 2D comment anyways :P There's nothing wriong with a healthy disagreement, so long as it stays civil eh smile.gif

-R
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A: I was referring to your immature response to the TGZ. Instead of wasting the thread with that, you could have voiced your concerns right then.
    B: Congrats for researching more.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I refuse to do any research on this. He's suing us because he think's he can get some cash and sympathy out of us while all he'd get in syria is a bullet. He's full of it even if we are guilty.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I love it! oh, and my fav bit:

[ QUOTE ]

I refuse to do any research on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Proudly insisting on maintaining straight up ignorance. Forget comedy rentals, I have Weiser_Cain! Dude, get an agent, you should be on a sitcom, like a newer version of archie bunker. They wouldn't even have to give you a script!

*creeps to edge of seat* say something else...

-R
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, for the longest time i thought Weiser_Cain was Mitgas... So i thought: What happened? He used to be so friendly, and quite talented too, whereas now he's an idiot, and his talents have disappeared!
    So i would like to offer my sincerest apologies to MitGas in this thread. I'm sorry, man. That's a severe mixup to make.
    Can you ever forgive me?
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I like this weiser_cain. I want to hire him along with a team of juggling midgets to entertain me while I my computer compiles game builds.

Whaddaya say cain?

-R
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    A: I was referring to your immature response to the TGZ. Instead of wasting the thread with that, you could have voiced your concerns right then.
    B: Congrats for researching more.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes! let it be declared! thou shalt not ever post immature or needless comments! this is not a place for fun! thou shall be declared 1 dimensional if this creed is broken!!!!
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn, there i go again...
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mightypea: No I'm just me, not this Mitgas character. As for my talent, that's just a low blow because you don't agree with my politics, and I'm a little sad not to be surprised no one's called you on that one.

Pak: Hell no they wouldn't have to write up any damn script! Just point me in the right direction and give me plenty of cheap plastic truckin' hats and I'll alternately entertain and insult the lowest common American denominator! Spouting out random unsupported facts on issues I just think I got a gut feelin' about. Because that's my got, damn, right as an American.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why would anyone have to call me on that? I know it's a low blow. That's part of the fun of it! Since when am i a classy person?
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno about you chums but I never thought weiser was talented and his has always been a complete moron.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Pak: Sorry to hear about your mom's uncle. That sucks.

Foe: Stop friggin double posting, or replying to yourself, or whatever. What, like three times in this thread? There is an edit button.

Weiser: WTF? Cut it out. Seriously.

Oxy: Shhh.

Unlawful imprisonment of innocent individuals who are not a threat is wrong. It's an act based on fear. Ignoring the laws set in place to prevent them should be punishable. It's terrible how we treat our own kind after so many centuries of historical mistakes to learn from.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Foe: Stop friggin double posting, or replying to yourself, or whatever. What, like three times in this thread? There is an edit button.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? no idea how my first post got doubled, the rest with the exception of my last post were replies.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I refuse to do any research on this. He's suing us because he think's he can get some cash and sympathy out of us while all he'd get in syria is a bullet. He's full of it even if we are guilty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow thats one of the most mind blowing ignorant statements i have ever seen.

You a a Fox News Executive's wet dream.

sheep3gm.gif
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19

JOE420 what are you insinuating ?

People dont look into things, really stay home and watch Fuax news.

Freedom_sheppard.jpg
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    That's easily the funniest thing I've seen today.

This thread has derailed so badly, I apologize.

-R