Home Technical Talk

Biped and armor objects... help

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Hey folks,

I put a biped rig on one of my models but the model is accessory heavy.

How can i rig my model and add the objects in but keep them from deforming?

I have not got farther than rigging my models; I am now onto posing them.

Can anyone answer my simple problem?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like you're using Physique. Assign those verts as Rigid. Or better yet, dump Physique and use Skin instead.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Also, if the accessories are seperate objects, just link them to the bones without using physique (or skin) at all.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    The Skin Wrap modifier could be interesting, too.
    If you used Skin to bind your mesh you could even transform the Skin Wrap to a Skin modifier if you need it for realtime-purposes. Never tried this, though, since I still use Physique. But I will have a look at skin as soon as possible. smile.gif
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    second vote for dump physique. Its actually obsolete, so go with Skin instead.

One tip if your going to link it directly, is that you may want to turn off inherit scale (in heirarchies rollout, links) for the armour before linking. This will stop any weird warping you may have if your bones or biped are scales in a non-uniform way.
  • ScreaminBubba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScreaminBubba polycounter lvl 18
    Skin is more flexible, has more features, and is easier to use than physique. There are also a load of new features in Max 8 for skin, while physique has nothing new.

On the armor: The best advice has already been given, for both seperate armor pieces or if the model is one entire mesh. Either way, you can manually assign rigid verts, or partial weighting to objects that have multiple bone influences, like an armored skirt or something. (whatever that thing is called)
  • Rekmar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rekmar polycounter lvl 19
    nothing new to add, but yet another vote against physique smile.gif

edit: wow I registered on '04 (well my new name, the old one was alot older) and only 4 posts, I'm pretty much of a "viewer" only smile.gif
  • Rakile
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rakile polycounter lvl 18
    If you still need help with this, the best way to keep armor and similar items from deforming is to simply assign all it's verts to a single bone. Say it's a shoulderpad. Assign all of the verts in the pad to the clavicle near it, and it should move with the shoulder, and not deform.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18