polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    ack. At least it's not a layoff. Although being forced to move is a bit of a hassle.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    >.< Oh man... What a huge group of talent though. I'm sure they'll be ok even if they didn't decide to stick with bliz.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    hmmmmmmm I can't tell if its a good or a bad thing... probably neither, I mean it'll make blizzard even bigger, like what 400+ employees in one office? damn
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Is this why Soul has been bored recently?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    No one really expected it.

It's an absolute shame what happened.

I don't know if I'm more pissed off about the fact that I quite EA to work there for only 3 months... or that the characters I made will never see the light of day. I really loved the stuff I got to work on.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    No one really expected it.

It's an absolute shame what happened.

I don't know if I'm more pissed off about the fact that I quite EA to work there for only 3 months... or that the characters I made will never see the light of day. I really loved the stuff I got to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you not get the option to go to the Irvine office?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, I did. Everyone did. But I honestly have no interest in moving down there.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear that soul =\
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    or that the characters I made will never see the light of day. I really loved the stuff I got to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this isn't just a relocation, but actually connected to canceling a project?
    That sounds even worse than I originally thought.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    It's a relocation move. But the chances of the project surviving depends on IF that team moves down.
    It isn't easy to uproot your family and move elsewhere.

If they wanted to continue work on that project, regardless of if we go move or not, they'd have to start over. You're better off starting fresh rather than trying to pick up where someone else left off. Because I'm still bound by our NDA contract, I'm never allowed to share with people what I've worked on. Which is a shame because it effectively means that I haven't done anything the last 3 months.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I'll never understand the business mind. But if thats the case. Why not wait until the project was over to consolidate?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    They're still doing Diablo3 I hope?

r.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Nah man. I'm quite sure they were making a 3d mmo out of Lost Vikings. laugh.gif
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Ohh shit no Diablo 3...* fucking heart attack and dies *
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Sucks about the studio relocation, but I've no doubt that Blizzard will press on with Diablo 3 in some form or another. Not too many franchises can push a million in PC sales, but that's definitely one of them.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well on the positive note, that means I wont be spending hours trying to hack my way through a quest before going back to the village to save.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really don't see why you would'nt move a few hrs south to keep working at Blizzard on a great project Soul ...I mean shit look at Spacemonkey he moved to a whole other friggen continent to work at a great game studio...how can you just pass up having a great job like that ..blows my mind especially knowing there are people willing to kill to get on at Blizzard ...and as a character artist most likely on Diablo 3... wow... must be nice to have those kind of job options
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Because the grass is not always greener on the other side and the game industry is not a happy loving place where every job is wonderful.

The folks I know at North all have very good reasons for not wanting to go down south. I'm sure SouL is no exception.

Really sorry to hear what happened to you and your team. I have no doubt with the calibur of your work that you'll find another opportunity in the Bay shortly, best of luck and don't hesitate to send me a mail should need anything.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diffrent strokes for diffrent folkes...im sure he'll get another great job also though smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really don't see why you would'nt move a few hrs south to keep working at Blizzard on a great project Soul ...I mean shit look at Spacemonkey he moved to a whole other friggen continent to work at a great game studio...

[/ QUOTE ]

Moving from San Francisco to Los Angeles is kind of like going to a whole other friggen planet... wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    how can you just pass up having a great job like that ..blows my mind especially knowing there are people willing to kill to get on at Blizzard ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of a few reasons why someone would pass on that. Family, friends, loved ones, being happy where you are and not being driven entirely by your career immediately leap to mind. I'm more or less resigned to the fact that as good an artist as I may be and as much as I'd like to work making video games, every other single thing in my life that I care about happens to be in Ohio and there aren't any game companies here. No job would be worth it to me to give up all I'd have to leave behind, so game art is a hobby for me rather than a career. I can't speak for SouL, of course, but I think moving 400 miles on your employer's whim is something a lot of people wouldn't want to do.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wierd news didn't see that coming...

about relocation. I had a chance to move from Seattle to Dallas. When the company I was at started to close down the hub in Seattle. I even flew down to set things up at the new hub and train the new hires but wasn't going to move. Mostly for the same reasons Verm mentioned. Also I wasn't about to sell my home, which was more than likely the biggest factor. I also wasn't willing to pack up my stuff or toss a bunch of it to save on moving costs. I also wasn't keen on the idea of moving to some place so freakin hot, snow is a myth. I'm sure if you are from texas its a great place to live, but being from the northwest if I don't see a gray sky at least 3 days out of the week I get nervous.

The company I am at now will more than likely shut down the location I am at and move us to New York, another move I WILL NOT be making. It's a great job and I have turned down working in the industry because of it and it's bennies. But as great as it is, I won't go thru the hastle of selling, packing and moving.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    San Fran area? Ok, now I can start to see why Blizzard North is being shut down. Cost of Living.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    wow, that sucks majorly.

i still dont see why a company doesnt set up shop someplace here in KY. i mean the cost of living and expenses would be practically be 1/10th of what they are in NY, SF, LA and places...
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    moving 400 miles on your employer's whim is something a lot of people wouldn't want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually something they bank on when doing this stuff. It can be easier than firing or laying off a bunch of people while the company tightens its belt. Not saying everyone does it but it does happen.

Sorry to hear this after such a short time being there Soul. I'd be a bit pissed.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    moving 400 miles on your employer's whim is something a lot of people wouldn't want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

A'men to that.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i still dont see why a company doesnt set up shop someplace here in KY. i mean the cost of living and expenses would be practically be 1/10th of what they are in NY, SF, LA and places...

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a game studio called PyroTechnix here in Cincinnati that was closed in 1999 as part of Sierra's infamous 'black Monday' shutdowns. They had just finished Return To Krondor, which was a pretty good game, but apparently not successful enough for Sierra. PyroTechnix getting closed down probably changed my life, as I'd have camped out on their doorstep until they hired me if the company had remained in town.

The next closest studio I know of is Volition over in the boonies of eastern Illinois. A friend of mine from school got hired on there and I hear he likes it, but even as close at that is, it's still a bit too far for me smile.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Irive isn't much of a cost-of-living different Oxy.

-R
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I've had a quick looksie at some companies already.
    One of them pretty much wants somone who'll do sports games in the long run.
    The other.... isn't exactly making a game that has good art.

Now, I'm not trying to be a prick, but you can only improve by working with people who are better than you. And I have serious problems working with people who are blatantly not capable of producing good work.

Irvine is slowly becoming more enticing.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Plenty of very exciting places to work if you're willing to move. With your portfolio, I'd take my time and apply around, you'll basically have your pick of the places that like art with lots of black wink.gif
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
    damn...that sucks. What about applying to EA again?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    damn...that sucks. What about applying to EA again?

[/ QUOTE ]

bahaha. Oh no, once you've tasted life outside, there's no going back I'm sure.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course, what Darren isn't telling you is that he's using SouL's old cubicle to store an exotic assortment of S&M bondage sex toys...
  • Leech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leech polycounter lvl 18
    Irvine is very expensive.

Imagine the bay area, now remove the culture and history, dialup some Texas heat, throw in some superficial yuppies... Perfectly fine if none of that bothers you, just have to put on the blinders.

Have you applied to Flagship? I know they are always reviewing...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Nah it aint that Tom. We have it set up as a little Shrine to SouL. Nothing's been touched since the day he left. His little wacom pen lying there with his fingerprints still on on it. A crumpled can of mountain dew. The black card boards stickytaped as a makeshift roof for improved blackness. The crumpled up tissues. All of it. I walk past sometimes and look in, but mostly, I avoid it. It's just too painful. I was thinking we should preserve it and set it up as a museum.

Actually Leech has a point there Paul. They could be a good fit, they're in SF, and they look to be making a kickass game. I also happen to know the AD. How much dya want for an e-mail address? ;-p
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    If memory serves correctly, San Francisco.. atleast the area of town where North was, isn't exactly a high-cost area.

[ QUOTE ]
    Irvine is slowly becoming more enticing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh trust me, it's a bloody awesome place to live. God knows why you'd want to do otherwise.

If I ever move back stateside, I'd definately move back to Irvine. It's not that far from Los Angeles, but far enough that it can have it's own chich
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Blizzard North wasn't in SF, it was down in the peninsula but trust me, the bay area is very pricey.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't Ghost being developed by Swinging Ape, now that Blizzard bought them out?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Blackflag uses 3ds max and character studio. Haha
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You mean Flagpoint?!
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Blizzard North wasn't in SF, it was down in the peninsula but trust me, the bay area is very pricey.

[/ QUOTE ]

er, yeah as far as I'm conserned it was in San Fran tongue.gif
    It's the best my geography gets, and I never found it pricey. You were looking what $1,200-1,600 pcm for a place close by, which wasn't that much considering down in Irvine it was closer to $2,000-2,400. Simply because it's "communiting" distance to LA. Jacks up all the prices of everything. Ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]
    Isn't Ghost being developed by Swinging Ape, now that Blizzard bought them out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well while I was there, it was just being out-sourced. That might've changed in the mean time.

[ QUOTE ]
    Blackflag uses 3ds max and character studio. Haha

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, so does South tongue.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    SF is one of the most expensive places to live on this planet. It is utter nonsense to suggest that Irvine rent is on average 800 bucks pricier than San Francisco. That simply isn't true I'm afraid. And no, silicon valley is not San Francisco!
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    SF is one of the most expensive places to live on this planet. It is utter nonsense to suggest that Irvine rent is on average 800 bucks pricier than San Francisco. That simply isn't true I'm afraid. And no, silicon valley is not San Francisco!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, don't even kid yourself. San Fran isn't even close to expensive.

I found Irvine expensive, but then there are parts of LA itself which are far beyond that. And if you think that's bad the area I used to live in you were looking at £2,800+ and that wasn't even in London that was like 25miles north. You go into the area where I was actually working and you can tack on another grand easy.

Not to mention the size difference of the places. Seriously you ever actually lived anywhere else? Or is this comming from the fact you've moved to San Fran from a much smaller town.

I've recently moved from Watford to Chesterfield, seriously the difference in rent is just ridiculous. I have a place twice as large at 1/4 the rent. You get ripped off in communtable areas.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Go on Daz, gettim smile.gif

r.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "Seriously you ever actually lived anywhere else? Or is this comming from the fact you've moved to San Fran from a much smaller town."

"Dude, don't even kid yourself. San Fran isn't even close to expensive. "

Erm, look it up. It's well documented as being one of the most expensive cities on this globe. For your information, I've lived and worked in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and London ( where I'm from ). Furthermore, If you'd ever lived in San Francisco, you would know that you do not ever refer to it as 'San Fran'. That and your lack of local geographical knowledge makes me doubt you ever lived in this city.

Listen Raven, I don't know who you are, but you certainly have a very annoying 'know it all' way about you. Tempted though I am by that annoying tone, I ain't getting into it with you in a thread about my friend losing his job, ok? Some other time.
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    Here, maybe this will help y'all.

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/servlet...mp;ownrent=rent

Basically, if you make 100,000 in Irvine, you would need to make 136,000 in San Francisco to maintain your quality of life.

Plain and simple, San Francisco is expensive.

I live in Campbell, just a bit south of San Jose. I could purchase 2 lamborghinis for the price of 1, 2000 square foot home out here. *weep*
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nah it aint that Tom. We have it set up as a little Shrine to SouL. Nothing's been touched since the day he left. His little wacom pen lying there with his fingerprints still on on it. A crumpled can of mountain dew. The black card boards stickytaped as a makeshift roof for improved blackness. The crumpled up tissues. All of it. I walk past sometimes and look in, but mostly, I avoid it. It's just too painful. I was thinking we should preserve it and set it up as a museum.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHA PICS!!!!!!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Sucks to hear that Soul :/
    Hope the project does survive and the stuff gets used.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Secret Level just announced they are doing a next gen game I would not be suprised if they are hiring ..of course who knows what they are making .

You might also wanna drop Factor 5 a line im sure they might need some help with that Dragon game. Just cause a company does'nt have a " Now Hiring " sign in the front window does'nt mean they are not open minded to talented people smile.gif