Home Technical Talk

Making rock - Without bad UV warping

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys.

I'm in the middle of making some map models for my level, and rock has come into play. I have quite a lrage section that will be rock, however when i do the model I get quite a bit of stretching on the texture due to odd UV points.

Does anybody have any tips for making better rock models that don't map quite so horrid? frown.gif

Replies

• Michael Knubben
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiveWire polycounter lvl 18
    three ways to avoid seems but might still get stretching depending on your unwrap:

1: if you have a texture that tiles in four directios you can map a cube then subdivide it and model from there.

2: planar map your mesh from one angle the fix up any stretching around the edges. the texture will be mirrored on each side but you shouldn't notice

3: use a precedual texture and bake it to the unwrap.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i've made a million rocks for games over the years, usualy i jsut make a good tiling rock texture, and sometimes i can just box map the rock and it will be fine, may need to move and rotate soem of the chunks to get rid of obvious seams, now days i would jsut break it into a few chunks and relax the uvs, i would never bother with trying to lay out uv's on a texture sheet unless the rock was verry specialized, if your engine suports texture blending you can blend a mossty texture onto the object in certain places,
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiveWire polycounter lvl 18
    for most organic or natural things texture stretching can help it look more natural and more random. depends on the detail of the texture though, when i say stretching though i don't mean great big smears across faces
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    ITs for a per pixel based engine so obviously local maps and specular. The local stage is what sticks out the most however when its warped.
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Unfortunately there is no way to uv a spherical object without seam or stretching. Consider hiding the seams or stretches in a place where the viewer will not see them.. like under the rock. If you have a 3d paint program you can attempt to go back and fix these problem areas in 3d.