Home General Discussion

HOLLYWOOD! STOP SELLING AWAY MY CHILDHOOD!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
AH man, so I just read on Cinescape.com that a VOLTRON movie is being made. WTF! When will it all stop????? What is with our ravenous desire for Nostalgia flicks?

I mean, I just watched a video last night where STEVEN SPEILBERG says that he bought transformers secretly in the past...and that he can't wait for the new transformers franchise to get rolling. The cartoons weren't even that good!!!!! Neither were G.I. Joe! But you know that is being developed somewhere in a hollywood dungeon.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Its like a nightmare that won't end!

Why did Bad News Bears need to be remade? Argh, why have so many old "decent" flicks been remade at all? What is wrong with the US?

Johnny Depp, woo woo, great actor, but PUH-LEASE! Charlie and the Chocolate Factory should have stayed a book. Don't kids read anything besides Harry Potter anymore? God, I can't wait until THOSE movies get remade.

I swear we're gonna see movies of Charlie and the Glass Elevator, Cholocate Measles, How to Eat Fried Worms, The Plant that Ate Dirty Socks, and the BFG (Big Friendly Giant!) And then in 15 years, THOSE will be remade! AAAHHHH!!!!!!!

Rant mode off.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    They ran out of new ideas, now they're stuck remaking old ones. The music industry has been like that for much longer (all those stupid techno covers should just go away!) and the game industry is showing first signs, too.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I personally don't have a problem with these remakes or movies based on older licences or stories. Some of these movies will suck and some will be good.
    I really enjoyed the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie and I would love a Transformers movie.

[ QUOTE ]
    What is with our ravenous desire for Nostalgia flicks?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I guess the obvious reason that it's a safe bet and it brings in a load of $$$.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    so.

how do you really feel?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it funny that people that where born in the mid 1980's are latching onto 8bit nintendo, GI-Joe, Transformers and Star Wars as if it was some how the stuff they where raised on. Sorry guys maybe your big bother was raised on this stuff, but really by the time you knew what 8bit was there was SNES, GI-Joe and Transformers where off the air.

I dunno maybe they played on hand-me-down 5-10 year old systems and watched re-runs/tapes all day? It just seems like there are a lot more ppl that remember these things as "fond childhood memories" that really don't remember them...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I made a butt load of money by recently selling my old Transformer, GI Joe, and Star Wars toys on Ebay. Man I love when they remake movies, it drives up the value of my junk smile.gif

Seriously though, I do fear what these movies will be like. I'm kind of excited to see the Transformers movie since it's supposed to be live action. At least it hasn't been done. Charlie and the Chocolate factory was already made, no need to recreate it when it was done right the first time.

Also, you forgot about Dukes of Hazard wink.gif (Another hashed up classic show) Oh, and how many times are they going to try to bring back X Men and Spiderman cartoons? For some reason, they bring out these cartoons, they do well, then the network gets a hair up their ass and takes it away. Then a year later, they decide they need new ones, with a totally different storyline and creator.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    the way i see it,if the person who re makes these films has a geniune love for the subject matter and makes the movie his own i have no problem,but when its an attempt to capitalize on nostalgia thats when i have issues with it.

after shumachers piece of crap he called batman i thought a remake was a bad idea,bu after seeing batman begins i was happy it was remade.

i like charlie and the chocolate fatory too,johnny depp wasnt trying to be gene wilder and tim burton added his own personl touch to it.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    STEVEN SPEILBERG says that he bought transformers secretly in the past

[/ QUOTE ]
    secretely ?? Sounds like when Publishers pay Hollywood actors (it is being done) to have them say they play this and that game on TV tongue.gif

I guess we're the comics and Transformers generation, so they will make movies of whatever triggers our nostalgia etc.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Hell, I grew up on Colecovision and Atari 2600. tongue.gif I was already a teenager or close to it by the time even NES came out.

Voltron movie? Kick ass! Voltron was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I can understand the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but the Bad News Bears has me baffled, too. That movie sucked when I was a kid and the remake will suck even more now.

The remake thing is getting sickening though. I can't wait to see Rob Zombie's Devil's Rejects and Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, though. smile.gif At least they're not remakes.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I grew up on C64 and SNES (and some Transformers, TMHT and Lego toys), noone really seems to pander to my nostalgia.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Speilberg only said that to silence fanboys. And he's only PRODUCING a Transformers movie because he's seen how much cash Lucas has made in merchandising and toys over the years, so he needs a franchise to retire on. He's a Hollywood tool, just like the rest of them.

Frank the Avenger
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Vig, I AM an 80's kid, born in 79. I was raised on SEARS' video game machine, Intellivision, as well as an old C64 AND a portable c64, complete with color screen that was 4 inches square. The machine was larger then my full size atx case now and weighed a ton. I was there for the birth of MTV, GIJOE, Transformers, and all the rest. (I distinctly remember going to the toy store to get a new 12 inch GIjoe, only to find that the new 3 inch kind were taking over the market. But hey...they were much cooler, I mean, a ninja? AWESOME!) What is this you say? MTV started in 81? Well, no shit! But my mom used to plop me down in front of that while she cleaned house. So, while maybe not being aware of the "moment" mtv was created, I was certainly there in its early years.

But yeah, I share your frustration when "kids" who got the second run of everything cry out about their past being ripped away when it couldn't have been their lives.

We have a Dark Crystal sequel coming out, and if that does well you'll see Labrynth 2, as wells as a whole slew of other shit movies....hell, maybe even a Neverending story 5,6 or whatever they are at now.

Its pathetic. And what is worse, is there are a few here and there that I cannot help but to go see. Like Pirates of the Caribbean.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neverending Story 4 is like Lord of the Ring 7. The book has an ending (misleading cover?).

I was born in 85. Maybe I'd get nostalgic with Samurai Pizza Cats. Anyone remember that show?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I wish they'd make a sequel to the Beavis and Butthead movie. Man I miss that show.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I find it funny that people that where born in the mid 1980's are latching onto 8bit nintendo, GI-Joe, Transformers and Star Wars as if it was some how the stuff they where raised on. Sorry guys maybe your big bother was raised on this stuff, but really by the time you knew what 8bit was there was SNES, GI-Joe and Transformers where off the air.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was born in '83, and i was definately raised on all of the things you mentioned.
    So were most all of the (male)people of my age.
    That just seemed like the populair take on holier-than-thou:
    Older-than-you!
    It's the standard mode of operation for quite a few polycounters, i know, but it's annoying none the less.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I don't have issues with any movie. If they are crap I delete them.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Who cares how old you are, the important question is this: Did you cry when Optimus Prime died?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    and do you think Rodimus is a pussy?

I'm excited about the transformers movie. I'd prefer it if they were all in cardboard robot suits, but you can't please everyone.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    G-FORCE!!!!

I heard they are even doing a 21 jumpstreet movie.. yugghhh
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i was born in 1978. my childhood revolved around 'action force' the british name for GI Joe, transformers, REAL ghostbusters, thundercats and visionaries. i want someone to make decent movies of joe, TF, the 'cats and visionaries.

what worries me is that they want to make the Joe movie based on the cartoons WTF?! they used pathetic lasers! get in larry hama and use the comics! they did some brilliant stories, like 'ambush', 'the origin of snake eyes', 'shakedown' and the whole cobra civil war thing!

thundercats could be the new LOTR!!!
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Rob Zombie's Devil's Rejects?? yeshhh did you see House of a 1000 corpses? I can believe they let him make another.

Starblasers -from what I've heard the stuff they showed us kids on tv was very censored.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    haha, there are several notions here that Spielberg is selling out to a toy production company. Hello? This is Spielberg we're talking about. Does HE need more money? So bad that he's doing toy commercials? Hello? Why do I bother responding to this kind of thing? Oh! I just wanted to say I LOVE TRANSFORMERS

[/ QUOTE ]
    He's in charge of Dreamworks now, so the more money he can make, the more movies he can control, like his buddy Lucas. Lucas's empire was the first to make more than one billion dollars in merchandising in one year. And that was years ago.

You think Stevie wouldn't be talking to George? You think he isn't aware of the freedom George has with all of that money? How much do you think Speilberg really makes by directing, anyway?

Frank the Avenger
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You reply to these things because you are as much of a sucker as i am. I keep doing it as well, even though i know i can't change a goddamned thing about the stupid ideas people have.
    [ QUOTE ]
    But yeah, I share your frustration when "kids" who got the second run of everything cry out about their past being ripped away when it couldn't have been their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my dear lord! i've been living a lie!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    and do you think Rodimus is a pussy?

I'm excited about the transformers movie. I'd prefer it if they were all in cardboard robot suits, but you can't please everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check it out, a teaser clip!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    WOW they sure are pushing what they can do with cg! Is I.L.M doing the effects?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I remember Aeon Flux being an animation masterpiece back when Mtv was cool. Now that the movies is on the way, I see nothing special about it that would hold its ground in the live action genre. Some people just don't get it. They don't see what a good thing is, or the underlying element that paved the way for its success, or the message it shared that made it special for us, etc. They see profit.

With so much happening in the world today as inspiration, both good and terrible, I would expect more stories to be told and ideas to be explored. Writers just need to find them.

I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night, and was a little disappointed. The movie felt lost within itself.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Wait.. if you don't like the movie... don't watch it?

Doesn't seem too complicated to me? Why do you feel that you should only have this experience with others born around the same time as you?

I think it's great that they are trying to recreate what would have been forgotten, because believe it or not:

SOME OF IT IS GOOD!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Justin - that rocks. Now imagine 20 of those guys all running around. OMG!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Have you looked at who else is working on transformers? Its being directed by Michael "Pearl Harbour" Bay and written by the guy who did Catwoman and the Core. This movie is going to suck horribly. Mark my words.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i liked Transformers as a kid but now i just don't care. i'm not going to see the movie (not sure if i've even seen to original movie) or voltron or the smurfs trilogy(!).
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.movietome.com/movietome/servlet/MovieMain/movieid-101714/The_BFG/

The BFG was already made into a movie (an animated one that bombed). I guess a script is also in production for the remake! It was my favourite Roald Dahl book... sad sad sad frown.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Speilberg only said that to silence fanboys. And he's only PRODUCING a Transformers movie because he's seen how much cash Lucas has made in merchandising and toys over the years, so he needs a franchise to retire on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's not the case - the two and a half billion dollars that Spielberg is currently worth ought to cover any bills he gets from the retirement home.

http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/54/2...datatype=Person

[ QUOTE ]
    You think Stevie wouldn't be talking to George? You think he isn't aware of the freedom George has with all of that money? How much do you think Speilberg really makes by directing, anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude is filthy stinking rich, he does whatever he wants. He's worth almost as much money as Lucas and runs his own film production company like Lucas - who is there to tell Spielberg he can't make a particular film, or that it has to be done a certain way?
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Where is my A-team and Knight Rider movie???
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    they're supposed to be making an A-Team movie. it's in prep and supposedly a knight rider one too, w/hasselhoff. there was a whole big arguement about not having KITT talk, which is of course completely stupid.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    There was an A-team movie in production as long ago as when I was in primary school. When it appears I'll give it a miss.

Bruckheimer and Disney are in Pre-pro for a gatchman live action/CG mix movie.