Home General Discussion

get this sketchbook! it's awesome

cybert
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cybert polycounter lvl 18
David Tran is releasing a sketchbook and it's awesome. he works at Relic entertainment and his stuff is killer. www.alphaworks.net get one before they're all gone.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm... while his sketches are pretty cool, I don't think I'd quite describe his work as "killer" ... it's good, but it's not that great.

Greats, in my mind at least, include (but are not limited to) Coro Kaufman, Wes Burt, Marko Djurdjevic, Feng Zhu, Ron Lemen and James Hawkins... I'd snap up any sketchbooks they released.

This guy is good, yes, but if the work on his site is representative, I really don't think he should be releasing a book just yet.

I dunno, maybe I've been spoiled by ConceptArt.org.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    what MoP said...

I would call him about an intermediate sketch artist, not an expert who should release a sketchbook
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Some of these sketches are pretty.

Some are shoddy. better is found various art forums.

I once bought a book called "rakuga king", 1000 pages. Now that was a sketchbook.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Terada Katsuya, right, Hawken? I saw some scans from that book a while ago... awesome stuff. It's pretty expensive though. I guess it's worth it smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    £45 (90 bucks.) one way ticket to pure gold.

tk01.jpg

tk02.jpg

tk03.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    terada did his first american gallery show at the lil asian video rental place next door to me in portland, i stopped in an checked it out, nice stuff, but i didnt get to meet him ,
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I hope cybert isnt a self promotional nick for "David". wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, "astroturfer" was the first thing I thought when I read the title.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, you signed up just to post this?

How about this: Fuck off David Tran, you're not good enough yet, so quit peddling your shit under other names.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol I hope no-one around here works in a Relic near EA.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, imagine EA buys out Relic, dissolves them and sends this guy to Whargoul's department?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    John Warner actually works for Relic in Vancouver... which is where Whargoul's EA place is smile.gif

Fisticuffs, anyone?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    omg lame! Too funny!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    im putting out a book soon of myself naked and in erotic and S&M poses ,ill post under my name though when its published.

it will be titled "3Deez:The erotic Filter"
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    I got my copy of Rukagaking through some no-name yahoo store importer for around $35, it was a sweet find, try searching through the first several pages of a google search and see what you can find.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well thats' $3 cheaper than the Japanese price, good going!

Mine was an impulse buy at my local comic store in the UK.

one of those "I have to own this" moments. Men get 'em too.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    He's posting this over on conceptart too. I don't have the energy to check the other art forums at the moment, but I'd hazard a guess that more than one of them might also have been subject to this as well.

But as I said over there... Tran(whether cybert is tran under a different name or not), isn't good enough to be publishing a book. Who's going to want to buy it? I've certainly never heard of him.
  • cybert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good lord at the newb responses on this thread. I'm not david tran, he works at relic in vancouver, i work at redstorm entertainment in North carolina. I just thought it'd be a good idea to give him a little advertisement since he's never really posted anything on the art forums. I Didn't think this would come to people HUNTING my posts on the forums and blaming dave tran for posting under another name. i'm just his friend giving him some support.

Whargoul- i've been a member polycount for about 3 or 4 years but had to make a new account because i forgot my old shit and my email was apparently somewhere else.
    and if you really work for EA and are a "professional" why do you post such Noob comments like

"How about this: Fuck off David Tran, you're not good enough yet, so quit peddling your shit under other names. "

it makes you look like you fit in with the rest of the kids.

sorry you guys view helping out a friend some sort of a sin.

hawken, where'd you get that tarada sketchbook? i got a 300 pager of his but DAYUMN that one looks nice.

lata
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    good lord at the newb responses on this thread. I'm not david tran, he works at relic in vancouver, i work at redstorm entertainment in North carolina. I just thought it'd be a good idea to give him a little advertisement since he's never really posted anything on the art forums. I Didn't think this would come to people HUNTING my posts on the forums and blaming dave tran for posting under another name. i'm just his friend giving him some support.

Whargoul- i've been a member polycount for about 3 or 4 years but had to make a new account because i forgot my old shit and my email was apparently somewhere else.
    and if you really work for EA and are a "professional" why do you post such Noob comments like

"How about this: Fuck off David Tran, you're not good enough yet, so quit peddling your shit under other names. "

it makes you look like you fit in with the rest of the kids.

sorry you guys view helping out a friend some sort of a sin.

hawken, where'd you get that tarada sketchbook? i got a 300 pager of his but DAYUMN that one looks nice.

lata

[/ QUOTE ]

dont you think its a little odd that a person signs up,and on their first post instead of introducing themselves,posting work or even mentioning any part of his or her background begins a thread by saying buy this book!! its awesome.

can you really blame people for jumping on you for what appears to be some spam thread (like there have been in the past) promoting something.

at the least you could have said hi my friend david tran is selling his book check it out and maybe you might not have gotten such harsh responses.

like if i came here and made my first thread "Hot asian teen sluts,come check out the webcam" think people would react nicely? now on the other hand if i said hi am an artist from such and such and my friend is a hot asian teen slut come check out her website,maybe id get less hostile responses.

no one here views helping friends as a bad thing but when the thread comes off as a spam for self serving advertisement warm welcomes will be few
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... good lord at the newb responses...

...and if you really work for EA and are a "professional" why do you post such Noob comments like ...

[/ QUOTE ]

OMGROFL! You used "newb" and "noob" as insults. How old are you, anyhow? Take that, 12-year-old AOLer. LOL OMG ROFLMAO pwn3d!!!11!111!!!!!!!
  • cybert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, dude i would say "thank you for introducing me to your hot asian teen slut friend". awesome reference.
    Trust me, i do see the point, i posted this elsewhere and got some weird responses, not this idiotic, but weird nonetheless.
    What i don't get is that People go into BASH mode before people get a chance to respond and they make idiots of themselves. oh well.

so do you really have a hot asian teen slut friend or what? SHARE MAN SHARE!!!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA DUDA I WUD SAY THANK U FOR INTRODUCNG ME 2 UR HOT ASIAN TEN SLUT FREIND111! OMG WTF LOL AEWSOME R3F3RANCE
    TRUST1!!!!1!1 WTF M3 I DO SE TEH POINT I POST3D THIS ELSAWHERA AND GOT SOME WEIRD RESPONSES NOT THIS IDIOTIC BUT WEIRD WUT1111!1 I DONT GET IS TAHT PEOPLA GO IN2 BASH MODE BFORA PAOPL3 GET A CHANCE 2 RESPOND AND TH3Y MAEK IDIOTS OF THAMS3LV3S111!11 OMG WTF LOL O W3L

SO!!1!!!1! OMG WTF DO U RILLY HAEV A HOT ASIAN TEN SLUT FREIND OR WUT??!?????! WTF LOL R MAN SHAER!1!1!111!!111!1

[/ QUOTE ]

confused.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    outsiders who ask us to give up our monies recieve bashings

edit: damn astrozombie. How can you type that much in l33t n00by speak? you must have practice...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... good lord at the newb responses...

...and if you really work for EA and are a "professional" why do you post such Noob comments like ...

[/ QUOTE ]

OMGROFL! You used "newb" and "noob" as insults. How old are you, anyhow? Take that, 12-year-old AOLer. LOL OMG ROFLMAO pwn3d!!!11!111!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol you forgot stfu and dirl!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Now is the time I wish I had moderator capability over General Discussion.

Ladies, stop bashing each other please.

There's a guy releasing a sketchbook, buy it if you like the art. If you don't, maybe you can find a little generosity in your hearts to post some valid, constructive criticism on how you think the artwork could be improved.
  • cybert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow astro, you actually wasted everyones time by posting that? thanks, that really did some damage there. keep up the good work and positive posts man, it'll get you somewhere someday.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now is the time I wish I had moderator capability over General Discussion.

Ladies, stop bashing each other please.

There's a guy releasing a sketchbook, buy it if you like the art. If you don't, maybe you can find a little generosity in your hearts to post some valid, constructive criticism on how you think the artwork could be improved.

[/ QUOTE ]

well honostly theres better ways to post these types of threads, the thread just smacked of 1 time poster spam and to offer any C&C wouldnt we have to speak to david tran not his friend here?
  • cybert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for being a professional there MoP. it's about time someone did. it was nice that you Listed James hawkins in your list of greats because James actually Digs David trans artwork. just goes to show that it's just everyones opinion. I'm actually trying to talk james into getting some sketches up to make a sketchbook. heaven forbid i post that shit here if he does!! GOOD LOOOOORD!!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure he's perfectly capable of reading a forum. Although, after all this pointless name-calling and petty insult flinging, I'd understand if he refrained from registering and replying.

Please don't give polycount a bad rep, guys.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think a good, healthy, flame war is all part of the learning process. Polycount can handle flame wars. If you can't learn by example, why not jump in?
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    I checked out his site. After seeing some of the pictures of the guy with long hair (looks like Ian Nottingham (The Darkness/Witchblade)) and the spiderman related stuff it makes me wonder if he has done comics in the past, since the style seems to be very similar to The Darkness, which i used to read a couple of years back.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NM, you're not even worth the time I've already wasted mocking you.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    "dont you think its a little odd that a person signs up,and on their first post instead of introducing themselves,posting work or even mentioning any part of his or her background begins a thread by saying buy this book!! its awesome."

Why not? It's a bit like that guy you never talk to at work... coming up to you and your coworkers to mention something that might be of interest to you.

And so what if he IS the guy selling the book? It's not as if none of you would refrain from advertising anything you had to sell. Hell, you guys make posts about what you've bought or about that new job you've just landed.
    It's all the same. The guy is just excited and is wanting to generate buzz.

And who are you guys to tell him that he's not good enough to release a book? Just becuase you don't find his work to be amazing means you have to shoot the guy down? What if I were to troll the boards and tell everyone of you that you're all not good enough to write tutorials or make suggestions?
    It's a slap in the face.

Honestly leave the guy alone. If the guy wants to troll other boards to promote his shit... hey that's his call. It's no different than pop-up ads.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's more like some guy you've never seen before storming into your office telling you to buy this and that vacuum cleaner. And these days companies hire people to pretend they're random people on the net and just giving an honest oppinion when in reality they're advertising a product. That's meant to make people think there's good reviews of the product even when everyone who used it hates it. That behaviour is called "astroturfing" and generally frowned upon.

If this guy said "Hey, I am/my budddy is selling this book and I think it's great" that's a lot different from saying "hey, I just came across this book and it's so awesome you should buy it!". The former makes it clear that he is biased and trying to sell something, the latter is pretending to be an independent person who likes it so much he has to recommend it to others. Any polycounter who tried to sell his own goods so far made it clear that it'S HIM selling the stuff and that he's clearly not unbiased. Imagine advertisers paid off game magazines to write up ads that look like reviews with perfect scores and cannot be told apart from a real review, what would you call that? Oh right, IGN.

Pretending an ad is an unbiased review is a severe kind of deception, that alone is a reason to boycott the product because it dilutes the trustworthiness of independent reviews and makes the review source useless (if a product is rated "good" is it really good or did they just pay?). Without a trustworthy source of information you can just as well forget about informing yourself. I don't know about you but I'd like to have a few independent and unbiased oppinions of an expensive product before I blow lot of money on it. Granted, a sketchbook isn't that expensive but they are still undermining the way we live. They try to cut us off from real information. They try to turn us into controllable sheep that do what we're told. Fuck them. Ignorance isn't our strength, it's theirs.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    warghoul deffinately is a pro as far as i am concerned.

but im not so,
    omg, just just the fuck up man.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    For gods sakes, enough. This is completely ridiculous. That isn't David Tran, that's someone who thought he was being kind and doing his friend a favor. This kind of dramatic banter isn't even remotely necessary.

Chill. Yes, spam is kind of lame. It’s certainly not worth trash talking

my god, the internet is a strange place. Amazing what people will say online and never say in person. I like Tran's drawings, but if it's true that he's not ready to publish a sketch book, then what good is it going to be to behaive like this? wish luck, shake hands, change your tampon, and get on with your life.
  • kprojekt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kprojekt polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh, imagine EA buys out Relic, dissolves them and sends this guy to Whargoul's department?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my fucking gawd, that’s pure humour!
    We all know how much quality art work comes out of EA. All that hard work optimizing digitized models, stitching character heads to current gen models, OH how about making player textures from templates! How could relic ever work under such experienced conditions?

Oh, I just had to sign up to post this wink.gif
    Seriously though, this looks to be a book of sketch work, meaning unfinished art. Reminds me a lot of Capcom style. I personally appreciate the steps artists take, love sketchy work.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Oh my fucking gawd, that’s pure humour!
    We all know how much quality art work comes out of EA. All that hard work optimizing digitized models, stitching character heads to current gen models, OH how about making player textures from templates! How could relic ever work under such experienced conditions?

Oh, I just had to sign up to post this wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's just awesome. This thread gets worse. I dont give a shit about EA bashing, but that's not what your statement is. So very nice of you to inform of us of the facts. I just love your profile too. 'owning your ass'. What the fuck do you do exactly? Sounds like this is a perfect oppurtunity to start the modeling duel that's been mentioned. Bring it on hotshot. I'll be sure to dig out my best digitized scans fool.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    oo a modeling duel, /gets popcorn,if some good comes out of this thread hopefully it will be some kick ass art
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever happened to Polycount Fight Club?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there was a polycount figtclub??
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or #md fightclub...
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought we weren't supposed to talk about it!
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    GASP! They broke rule #1!!!!!
    also, to prevent posting a spam message, from my point of veiw as a young mediocre artist hes got skills with skectches, but his paintings could be better and will be with time.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    kprojekt: You had to sign up to prove what an ass you are? Well done.

Yeah, #md used to do quick 20-30 minute 2d/3d fights on the spur of the moment, it was pretty fun, good practise.