Home Technical Talk

What games do you guys mod?

CMB
CMB
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
CMB polycounter lvl 18
I've only done skins and models for one game,Warcraft3
Fun time...I've been doing it to the same game for about a year.
I use PhotoshopCS(my best skill),Notepad,3dsmax6,3dsmax7 and thinking of picking up Zbrush.I will not buy any other programs though...so games that are limited to these.
What titles should I look for to modify in the futre?
Only good ones I can think of now are Qauke 3 and ut2k4.
Are they worth getting?
OffTopic :
Who can I contact or PM to change my user name...I made a biiig mistake on it...
its suppoesed to be viewed as CMB and login as CMB aka mr.staby...

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Mostly Quake1.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Can't you just reregister?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Matters on what game type you want to mod. For FPS there's Half Life 2, UT2k4, Doom 3, and a wack load of others.

If you would rather try RPG you can look into Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights or Morrowind. Dungeon Siege 2 will be out seen, hopefully it's decent for modding. Also, when The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion comes it should be awsome for it.

For Stratagy I'm not sure what there really is other than WC3, soon I'm thinking that Supreme Commander will allow some modding, as apparently Total Annihalation was pretty moddable.

I'm sure there are a lot of others around that I missed, but yea, there's lots out there. laugh.gif

Games I've worked with a bit are Dungeon Siege, WC3, UT2k4, and Morrowind. Though all but Dungeon Siege were very minimal.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I know that both C&C Generals and WH40k Dawn of War are moddable but yeah, I guess it's smarter to wait for Supreme Commander, that'll probably be more flexible than either.
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    I'm looking for the newest,something that can support normal maps or pretty high resolution textures.
    I realy want to get back into Pc fps.
    Not qauke 1...
    Is getting ut2k4,Halflife 2 or qauke 3 worth getting now or should I wait for Qauke 4 and ut2k(whatever the next on is,keep forgeting)
    I'll ask again...who can change my username on polycount boards?
    Thanks everybody for awnsering.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm looking for the newest,something that can support normal maps or pretty high resolution textures.
    I realy want to get back into Pc fps.
    Not qauke 1...

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The prime choices right now are UT2k4, Half-Life 2 and Doom3. All carry a high standard of technical game art. UT2k4 can handle about all the polygons you want to throw at it. It's good for modders/artists wanting to get a character, vehicle, level, etc working in a game fast. HL2 similar to UT2k4 for modding, each has their advantages and disadvantages over the other. Doom3 is a bit more difficult to edit, and is the choice for normal mapped art. There are other great games out there that may be a better choice for you depending on exactly what you want to do with the engine (Far cry, GTA for PC, and all the previously stated titles). It's best to go with a widely known, popular game to mod as it will have the strongest mod community, and information on implementing your art. For that I'd say ut2k4 or Doom3 for normal maps. Do NOT wait for some game to come out to start modding.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Currently involved with the Rome: Total War engine for a mod. It's pretty simple to use, but has some serious limitations (obviously).

I also mod the GTA: San Andreas engine, HL2, Operation Flashpoint/VBS1, IL2/Pacific Fighters and the Lock On: Modern Air Combat engines. They are all pretty good in their own right.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    I want to mod Battlefield 2. But as usual the damn editor which was promised to be released two weeks before the game, is gonna come out maybe two months after tongue.gif

Hey Vassago you want to form a team and do a OFP mod? laugh.gif I love OFP and would love to see a graphical overhaul of the engine...I thought the sequels would do this for me but after seeing the screenshots.... frown.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    quake 3 is pretty easy to mod. I ran a mod group called GTP back in the day.

good quick feedback to models or maps you make.

shaders are wonderfull to script, if a little unpredictable at times. Sort of like CSS for 3d.

I'd have to say that it's the easiest game I've ever modded and also the most fun to mod. I did spend 6 months on one of my maps though. For the most part you can start small, just naming your models by the same name they are loaded in by the game. see Major running around with a fish for a head etc, within the space of the time it takes to save the file.

If you want to mod stuff for a larger audience then look at current titles. However, you must ask yourself why you'd want to mod in the first place? For the enjoyment or the exposure. If it's for enjoyment, Quake 1,2 & 3 are awesome, had a really long shelf life and pretty much built the foundations to every mod community, such as this one.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    there is also some quake2 modified engines that allow quake3 art and even more tech gadgets (skeletal animation...)

or EnemyTerritory, which is also a bit beefed up quake3 engine.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    On my off time? I used to mod Quake2, and thee days UT2004, a bit. Just characters.

Scott
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modding doom3 is very very similar to modding quake3... IE: very easy if you know how to edit some text files.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Tribes 2, and Tribes vengeance have been my targets, but Tribes Vengeance has crappy support and is basically abandon ware now...though they would love a few modders to join in.

Tribes 2 is good to mod, but the dts exporter is build on Max5 and we can't export from anything newer :/ (Does anyone know how to rebuild a plugin to update it?...Actual steps)
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    if you have the sourcecode of the plugin, normally all you need to do is recompile it with the new sdk, ie set include/lib paths to the max6/7 sdk paths
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey Vassago you want to form a team and do a OFP mod?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had any extra time, I certainly would. I don't see that happening for quite some time, though frown.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    if you have the sourcecode of the plugin, normally all you need to do is recompile it with the new sdk, ie set include/lib paths to the max6/7 sdk paths

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Usually someone just says some smart ass line about, just modifying it for the latest max, but they don't say what changes are needed. I'm not sure how to compile it right now, but I should be able to figure that part out. Thanks again
  • Rakile
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rakile polycounter lvl 18
    I've been curious about adding a character of mine to Marrowind, but when I saw that I wouldn't be able to export from Max 7, I thought that it might be best to wait till oblivion came out. Still, if anyone knows where I might find an updated exporter for Marrowind, I might just give it a shot.