Home General Discussion

New contracting idea

S2Jesse
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S2Jesse polycounter lvl 18
Im trying something out as a test. Basically its an open contract work type of setup. I setup a little site at http://mercs.s2games.com ill add to it more later etc if this works out. The idea is we'll post different things we'll need over time and people can give it a whirl. Its good for new people who want to break into the industry and to make a little cash and a good way for pros to just make a little extra cash

Anyway we'll see how it works feel free to hop over there and take part or even just post your thoughts in the general discussion section. I'm curious what others will think. I think it could be a cool learning situation as well as beneficial to both parties.

FYI even your very own Bobo the Seal did some great work for us. Were looking for some other talented people who maybeve havent had a chance to break into the industry to give it a shot or as i mentioned somebody who has and just needs a little extra cash.

Jesse Hayes

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting idea Jesse. I'll be interested to see how other people react to it.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is a good idea. I like it. I'll probably be looking at this site more and more. Because I'm always in need of money, haha.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Ah quiete a nice idea. Thumb UP dude
    WINZ
  • S2Jesse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do me a favor go to the site and post smile.gif i think people will be afraid unless they start seeing some posts.
    and man give it a shot make some rocks! or somethign to get it started. I think it could work out well for everyone.

Jesse
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    freakin awesome.. i knew it was a good idea to buy xsi smile.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Rock are wayyyy outta my league AHAHHAHA
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    This seems like a pretty cool idea... I'm going to register right now and make a post right off the bat. I hope this thing works out.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    cool cool, i'm in, rock on

*seconds flaagan's comment*
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Ok.. So the general idea is to get as many artists as possible to do a single task and then pay the one that did the best?

I have a hard time thinking you will get any professional artist signing up for this.
    Personally I find this idea very unethical and unprofessional.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    great idea, I agree with b1l though in that i hope you guys put something ... cooler there eventually, I'm sure it'll all depend on how well this is going to go. smile.gif the idea is very very cool.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    palm i dont see what the difference between this and a contest or a challenge is? rather than the winner just getting bragging rights and a prize, their assets are actually used in a game.

Good luck to S2 with this, the only concern that comes to my mind is continuity, but i'm sure you guys have already thought of that, and that's why you're starting with stones and trees :P
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i see nothing un profesional about it, you never promise people they will get paid, i doubt i'll do it just because i don't fancy the idea of doing work for a "chance" to get pai.

i personaly have gone to hate contracting over the years, but i did plenty in my days, and this sounds like fun for people starting out.

the thing i see is that trees and rocks are fairly easy no problem to bang out and if you get paid cool, if not, oh well lil bit of time spent for practice,

it may be difrent when you want a complex player model complete with difuse /spec and normal generated from high poly, caust thats a lot of time to spend, just to hope its what you want, even if you paid well for it (i would estimate 1500-3k depending on complexity . its still a lllloottt of work for a "possible" paycheck

good luck on all this, and good luck to all you cats that submit!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Especially since stoned and trees can be easily created with max scripts, then 'fine tuned' later if needed.

I like the idea, hope it does well.
  • S2Jesse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ok.. So the general idea is to get as many artists as possible to do a single task and then pay the one that did the best?

I have a hard time thinking you will get any professional artist signing up for this.
    Personally I find this idea very unethical and unprofessional.

[/ QUOTE ]

The beauty of this system is I really dont give a crap if "professionals" will sign up for it. I care that good artists "professionals or not" sign up and create some great stuff that we'll pay them for. Were not choosing only the best 1 out of all of them we'll pay for any really good art that meets our needs. We need a lot of trees etc. Just fyi were starting off with simple objects like rocks and trees to get this off the ground. Experience doenst matter to us at all. What i find unethical is companies who dont give people with no experience a chance. Again if anyone and i mean anyone makes some nice artwork that fits our needs we'll buy it. If we no longer need that item we'll close the thread. With that said if you were in the middle of making something and we closed teh thread and you make somethign better than we accepted we'll probably buy that.

Anyway hope to see some of you enthusiastic guys on there.

Jesse
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think this is a good idea. Sort of like turbo squid but in reverse.

Games companies should become more modular anyway.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I think it would be smart for a lot more companies to do something like this . There are a lot of really good people out there that want work and this is a good way to get experience. I mean how many people out there would jump on a chance to make some assets for Epic or another AAA game company ..it's a win win situation ..people get experience and a company name on there resume and cash ( obviously the ones who have good enough work ) ...Great idea jesse !
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    An interesting idea. I think I will be keeping an eye on this, especially as I need to get more normal mapping stuff done.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I believe freelance design/artists groups warn against things like this.

There first thing was you should never have to do free work.
    <ul type="square">[*]If you loose, how many hours of income have you lost when you are trying to sustain yourself? It not economically feasable for a freelancer to spend so many hours when the payout may or may not happen.
    [*]Due to NDAs. all work will have to be secret. A game company isnt going to let the cat out of the bag of what there monster looks like. So that means that.

1 You will NOT be able to see other submissions. Both so the other participants cannot try for legal action against you or the company involved.

2 The winners work could not be shown. So as such. How do you know what you have a real winner? What if the company simply made and announced a fake user. Simply because they then can go around and combine all ideas from the best entries. Very underhanded, yes. It would not be the first time this has happened though.

[*]What if the design elements change? Meaning what you turned in is still only a prototype. So you still have to go back and rework further. Or worse, the company xnays the character near the end of the contest. So you just spent so many hours with no chance at all at getting payed.
    [*]What if the company goes under during the competition? Or worse, right after you have been choosen. Even if they legally owe you the money, the legal costs and time involved getting that money... This is why many other freelance artist require half-down upfront.
    [/list]

I mean freelancer artists and designers have come up with a different system via trial and error. Just because we are digital doesnt make our situation any different.
  • S2Jesse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plain and simple this gives far more people a chance to shine who normaly wouldnt. So if its not something your intested in skip it. If its something that sounds interesting and the topic fits things you like to create go for it. The main people this is targeting is people who dont have industry jobs and are looking for ins and for pros who know what they are doign and just are looking for a little extra cash on the side.

But your points are valid its not for everyone.
    Jesse
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    S2Jesse, have you talked to a lawyer about the implications yet? Look closely over what I write. For if either side got into litigation with the other. You unfortunately could be dragged right along with it.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary you are right also, but this really does only apply to established freelancers.

you're never gonna get a gig if you don't have some give and take; in the games industry you pretty much work for free anyway.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Great idea S2Jesse!

1 small thing... I was browsing the "Asset Requests" board and I find it very hard to read it because of the light green font on the grey background.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I really like this idea, but not (only) because it helps newcomers, but because it gives hobbists a nice possibility to earn some cash now and then. Kinda like a holyday job for stundents wink.gif

But one question remains, is this offer only open to US residents? (or is it possible to get international payments via paypal or something like that?)

P.S.: Maybe this could be made sticky?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's a good idea. I have a full-time job not related to the game's industry and could really use some cash on the side. I'm sure they'll need a shitload of trees and rocks so there's a very good possibility of getting paid for it. I just wouldn't submit anything other than screenshots before getting paid at least half. This would be good for non-established freelancers, like myself, to start out.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure they'd wanna check your model data before paying you, Hollowmind.
  • KRakarth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KRakarth polycounter lvl 18
    well I think its a good idea but we will see how it goes.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I think it's a good idea, and unlike many of those "contests" to "get your art into a game" there is at least a chance of payment.
    I think the ability to not only do work within real working production constraints, but to see which entries get selected, and which do not will be helpful to the learner.

If I produce something I think is great, and somebody else gets selected & I dont, perhaps that'll show me where I need to improve.