Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gargantua

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
This is the high poly version for normal mapping (afraid I can't show the low poly shots yet). All made in Blender (post pro in GIMP). It has been redesigned a bit (such as th e extra leg joint) and the proportions have been altered somewhat.

Gargantua.jpg

Wireframe:
gargantuawire1ut.jpg

And I had a shot at compositing (my first and only time so far hehe) after a friend made the suggestion.

GargantuaDesk.jpg
And this was using a script created by Thoro on the Blender forums; you can rotate the model around. It may take a little while to load up for you.
http://www.lupusart.com/Gallery%20Images/3DNP%201.2/3DNP.html

I'd appreciate any feedback people could give me on the rotatable in particular as if it works well for others to see I'd like to use it for more things in my gallery.

Cheers smile.gif

Replies

• Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome!
    I like the extra joint.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    All made in Blender (post pro in GIMP).

[/ QUOTE ]

W00t for free proggies!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cool!

I like the funky ways you presented that, compositing and rotate scripts are a great touch!

My advice would be not to rely onit TOO MUCH since it takes a while to load, which might lead to viewers leaving the page. It's cool that no plugins are required tho. (or are they?)

On the model side, these little techy hands are really nice, you might want to make them stand out a bit maybe? Plus it makes me wonder about the nature of that dude, is it meck or bio? At first glance I thought bio but when I saw the small precision arms I thought it was controlled from the inside... Great solid job anyways!

I'd like to hear more about that rotate script (would be awesome with a loadbar) and about blender too. I've tried it once in while but never really got into it so far, the thing did not click for some reason. Any place to start? Like, which release is good and what basic tuts to start with?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. That is damn cool. Very impressive work from opensource apps. The rotatable took about 15 secs to load for me, and is weird to control. Just a quicktime file may be more professional.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys smile.gif

@Pior: No one really knows exactly what the garg is (except for Valve I guess). The impression I got was it was a sort of biomech thing, but I can't say for sure hehe.

PS. When starting with Blender I found it much more helpful to customise the UI, I put 4 viewports with the buttons window down the right (the tutes tell how to alter the UI). But it is fairly straightforward: viewport windows and the F keys (F
    The way the script works (not that I understand coding at all) is running the script produces a UV sphere with a variable number of points and when the 'animation' is rendered the camera moves to one point and renders, moves to the next point, renders etc. So it does the top row, then the second etc. You can alter the number of rows etc. to control how many images you want (the more you have the smoother the rotation, but longer to load).
    To put it on the website I just replaced the images in the folder the script came with and altered a little bit in the html file. If you want to have a look at it go to www.elysiun.com and search for 3dnp (created by Thoro). I don't know how hard it would be to make for another program.

I know what you mean about Blender smile.gif I'd started off with Maya, which I used for a few months, then moved to Blender (wanted something I could use at home and could actually afford hehe *coughFREEahem*.
    The first time I had a look I hated it and just dropped it after a few minutes. I kept looking for a different free (or cheap) complete package but things kept leading back to Blender, so I finally decided to pull my thumb out and get down to it.
    Once you get used to the workflow and UI it really is a great program. Anyway, www.blender3d.org is where you can download it and it has tutorials and video tutorials there too, they would probably be the best place to start. The main community forum for Blender is www.elysiun.com . The newest release (2.37a just out a couple of weeks ago) is the best so far smile.gif but we should hopefully have a new release in the nearish future with a complete overhaul of the animation section to make it more like commercial mainstream apps.

PS. When starting Blender I found it much easier to split the screen into 4 viewports and the button window down the right side (so it's more like other apps). The F keys (F5-F11) cycles the button window through the different areas such as texturing, animation, modelling etc. Pretty straightfoward, just takes some getting used to, but I now prefer the modelling workflow to other programs I've tried (including Maya hehe), though it would be great to have Maya's snapping functions.

@ElysiumGX: I'll give that a go sometime (once I figure out how to do it:))
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woah thanks for the info man! That will come in handy smile.gif I thought that script was just a html to fill up with images, it seems a bit heavy to have to render the scene kust like the script author asks you to do with that camerasphere. Looking good anyways smile.gif

I personally don't use a 4windowed setup but that won't prevent me from trying that app anytime soon! I'm sure that version I had a while back was buggy, things were disapearing for some reasons. But that was yeaaaaaars ago laugh.gif

Cool then. Can't wait to see that huge guy of yours textred and put ingame!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    (the F-keys for the button window are F4-F10, F11 is "show rendered image")

It's looking good but from what I remember the garg had a much darker color.

Black Mesa Source sounds like you're cloning HL1 for HL2?
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    kdr: it's a remaking of hl1 for the source engine. putting the engine to good use.