Home General Discussion

Logitech Mx518 Gaming mouse OWNS me

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
This has got to be the best mouse I've ever used.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produc...d=518LgPromoAMR

Not only does it update 125x a second for super responsive movements, but the best part about it is on the fly DPI adjustment. OUt of the box it does 400, 800, 1600 without any drivers. That was a bit much for me, so I have mine set to 500, 800, 1000. In battlefield I run around with 800, when I need to snipe a bit, down to 500, then when I hop in a tank, up to 1000.

The ergodynamics are nice too, it's the same shape and style as the mx510, just with a few extra features and faster updating per second. And a new paintjob. I think it's downright sexy.

Never thought I'd get excited over a mouse, but this thing ROCKS!

Replies

• JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    do you use it for work also? Or is it mostly geared for gaming?

I'm currently in the market for a new mouse for work and gaming. Been using a discontinued internet explorer mouse for the past 4 years, time for an upgrade. And I'm a mouse noob.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I even take it WITH me to and from work. I want to have this thing second nature. It's pretty comfortable. My only problem with the mx5 series is that the middle mouse button is a tad stiff, which is what I use the most in max. I'm guessing it will loosen up with use (isn't that right scooby?)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've had an mx510 for quite a while now, it's the best mouse I've ever owned... very comfortable, all the buttons feel nice, and it looks cool too! Also very accurate. I guess the mx518 can only be better... I guess you'd only use the extra features if you play FPS games a lot though.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are the mx5 roughly the same as the mx700?
    Because that's the one i've got, and i love it to bits. Logitech really make some great mice, as far as i'm concerned.
  • MPBirdman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MPBirdman polycounter lvl 18
    I just bought a new mouse when my old one died. Unfortunately, I wasn't even able to hold that logitech one, because it was so sculpted to being held in the right hand frown.gif I ended up with a plain, symmetrical microsoft one again :\
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    that is cheating mad.gif

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I've got an MX-1000, probably not that good a gamer mouse but the laser works on more surfaces than standard optical and since surfaces are the main problem I have at LAN parties that's important to me. Another factor is that it works flawlessly on the surface of a Wacom, for example. Might be a bit laggy and the wireless protocol seems to be pretty vulnerable to errors (including moving the cursor into the corner and suddently sending button presses for all buttons) but I guess it wasn't meant to be used on a metal table.

At least it has five additional buttons (added to the standard two + mwheel, the wheel goes into four directions but few apps use that) that I can bind to the three speak buttons in Battlefield plus the two vote buttons. I.e. no need to reach across the keyboard to accept/reject an order.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm guessing it will loosen up with use (isn't that right scooby?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I told you it'd hurt, but you insisted on saliva only, no KY...
    I'm sorry about the stitches, but you'll heal up soon enough.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    bs right-handed facists...

wink.gif
  • Kristian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kristian polycounter lvl 18
    Having struggled with some absurd microsoft mouse thing for way too long, this mouse can consider itself ORDERED.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    If you take it apart, you can loose some weight by taking out the added weight. You also can "tweak" the middle mouse as far as how easy it moves forward and aft, though not really how it clicks.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Can games recognize the MX518's extra buttons after the 5th? I had to map all my extra buttons to keyboard keys to make them work.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/left-handed high-five
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    thats got nuthin on my mx510

those turtle shell mice get super uncomfortable after a while. i used to buy a new mouse every year or so for my mac - but that was only because i wasnt going to use the damn hockey pucks.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya! But count yourself lucky Because if you use a mouse in the right hand you can hold the wacom pen in your left. that's what I do =) I have a MX1000, the only problem I have is that it weighs a ton compaired to a nomal mouse, which makes switching from work to home a bit of a pain.
    Thanks for the tip oXYnary I will have to see if I can loose some fo the dead weight =)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, moosy, the point of the mx518 is that it is just like the 510 but better. It's faster response, higher resolution, and more features, so it most certainly "has something" on the 510. Unless you were referring to one of the other mice brought up in this thread, in which case I appologize.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    glad you found a mouse you like poop, i'm currently using the MX1000 and it was a pain getting there. I've gone through a couple mice in the past months trying to find something I liked. It's such a pain to have a mouse you fight with but a joy to have something that 'feels good'
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Major Clod polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using the MX700 for the past year and a half and it is an excellent mouse. I got it with my MX Duo combo, the keyboard is equally awesome. As far as lag goes, Logitech's fast RF tech is no slower than a standard cabled mouse.

I only have one problem with the thing. When I rest it in the charger sometimes I have to fiddle with it to get the contacts connecting properly, otherwise it will just sit in there and not charge. This is a pain in the arse because sometimes you will leave it to charge, come back and the thing is going flat. Other than that it is an awesome mouse.

I'm looking to get an MX1000 now, but the only thing putting me off is the fact that Logitech did not make the receiver compatible with their existing keyboards. This ultimately sucks as I will need to have two receivers on my desk to use both the MX1000 and my Elite keyboard, and they aren't small either.

I'd get the MX3100 Keyboard/Mouse combo, but the new Logitech keyboards have given into the dark side and use ghey Microsoft positioning of keys. Stupid huge delete key, move the insert button around, make the arrow keys slightly lower and under the main pad.. Small Function Keys... Nothing shits me more than a keyboard with buttons in the wrong place!