Home Technical Talk

Making Two Separate Texture files For One Model

Inferno
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Inferno polycounter lvl 18
Hello,

I'm part of a Brothers In Arms mod team and have a question about making multiple texture files for a model of a farmhouse.

When I originally got the 3D Max file from the guy who modeled it he had UV Mapped it into one texture file. I textured it and then later found that the sides of the house were very blurry. After talking to the mod leader we decided to have me re-UV Map it and then have one texture file for the sides of the house and another for the rest of the house such as doors, windows, roof, .etc.

I'm pretty new to UV Mapping so I want to know what I need to do to make two seperate texture files that can both be applied to the house.

Thanks in advance,

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    You'd have to apply two different materials to the house, one for each texture sheet. Then you map each material section out as usual. I dunno how exactly MAX handles it but I suppose it should work to hide all faces not belonging to the current texture sheet and mapping the visible ones.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    In map, create a material of the type "Multi/Sub Object". This allows you to assign multiple maps to one object. Stick the walls in slot 1, the doors in slot 2 etc. Then in the model set all the wall faces to material id 1, and the doort, windows etc to mat id 2....
  • Vark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vark polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, Multi-sub object.

I'm guessing its fine, but be warned not all engines support importing multi/sub objects.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Unreal, quake3, doom3, serious, and both valve engines support multi-subs afaik.

So no worries mate smile.gif

-R