Home General Discussion

Remote job (impossible to find)

-=InQ=-
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
-=InQ=- polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys!

We are a small team of game artists from Eastern Europe with some experience in game development industry. We worked for some Russian companies, you probably never heard of. We're looking for a remote contract job for about a year or something and can't find just anything. They say: 'you've got some nice samples, but we found some other guys'.
I want to know your opinion about what's wrong with us. Our samples are here: http://www.enslaveddesign.com/users/inq/portfolio/
Please tell what you think.

Thank you!

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hey

You do have some nice stuff,but there was really nothing there that made me go "WOW!".

I particularly liked the wartime command stuff,the way the buildings gradurally get destroyed are nicely modelled but in some parts it looks very rushed and basic errors are occuring.

My biggest gripe is the texture seams on several of your models,this one particularly http://www.enslaveddesign.com/users/inq/portfolio/WC/wartimecomm_04.jpg ..that roof is just ugly.

Also I think you could push your textures further,alot of them look washed out,I like the mutant textures but again,with more work they could look much much nicer,especially work on hi-lights and see if you can get a fleshy feel to them.

Also I think this should have been posted in pimpin and previews.

Don't give up,just go back over everything and se eif you can push it all another notch.

john
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i think the main problem is that you stuff is too stylized..not that its a bad thing.. but when a game contracts out work its usually for generic stuff.. stuff that can be easily emulated and that is reality.. realistic stuff is by far the most generic and most contracable... beacause there is no dispute on if its wrong or not.. i personally dugg the pixel art stuff and would almost say stick with that, just make more of it.. only because gba and cell phones are a really big industry and its not as flooded as the 3d world... so i think it might be easier to find work..
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    your character textures have nice colors but they are large flat areas with some very simple detailing. You have to break up those shapes with contrasting details. The shapes arent all that interesting, just large and bulbous.

The tanks are very very nice tho.

-R
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I agree that you have good work, but nothing that really impressed me in particular.

The horse animation had good leg movement, but NO body movement. The horse didnt move up and down at all. You really cant have a run cycle when the characters body is constrained in space like that.

Your textures also seem to mainly consist of a few basic shadows, and than an overlay of some sort. You need a LOT more detail to sell those textures to me.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the tanks too, although the textures seemed a bit uninspired,with a standard dirty metal feel. The mesh was nice though! Could use some more details and decals.

I'd recommend removing that windmill from the samples, it needs some work...