Home General Discussion

Worst DMV experience ever

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
So I went to the DMV office here in LA to get my plates and id. 7 hours later I walked out with it all. Anyone have a similar or worse story?

Replies

• bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    7 hrs?!? cripes, man! was getting your plates and ID all that you had to have done?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the worst would have to be actually working at one. Low wages, gov't bureaucracy, long lines, and people venting on you.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Working at the job center must be much worse. People appearing at the DMV at least can afford a car.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I have a story kind of in the same vein..about driving tests and instructors. To calm my nerves before my test, my instructor (a really nice and hugely funny guy) told me this story – and true or not, it put me at ease:

One particular driving ‘tester’ liked to keep a bag of candy on the dash of the car whenever he was testing anyone. One day after explaining to a particularly nervous learner that he would ‘tap on the dash to indicate when he wanted the learner to perform an emergency stop’, they set off. The learner was really jittery, and the car jerked as he crunched up and down the gears. The tester leant forward to stop the bag of candy rolling off the dash - and seeing him slap the dash – the learner slammed on the brakes and the tester broke his nose on the dashboard, spraying blood all over the windshield.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    When I was taking my driving courses in school, we drove through a nearby town, and then home. On the last day, just a mile from my home, we drove through a small community. Some kid riding his bike on the side of the road suddenly fell off in front of me. The instructor and I both hit the brakes, and the kid was just a couple inches from the front bumper. I was shocked. I still passed.

At the DMV, the test seemed like it was from another country and another decade. 3 questions were variations of "what do you do when passing a vehicle on the highway"? I picked, "use turn signal". The answer was "beep horn". So I barely passed.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    When I went to take my first driving test, I was pretty nervous. I went out to my ancient family car to start it up and pull it around to the start of the test course. However, when I started it, the car suddenly began to jerk, wheeze, and buck as the engine had some kind of coronary embolism. Even when I took the key out of the ignition, the car continued to do wild palpitations as the engine kept trying to run.

So it was a week or so before I could try again. I passed with a 70/100!

/jzero
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I feel your pain Jeff! The DMV in the bay area is craptastic.

But heres a funny experience I had recently: So I need a front plate 'cos I got pulled over for not having one. After dealing with all the paperwork, Im waiting in line for several hours and finally I get to the end and the woman calls my name out and hands me my new plates. I look at them and go 'nah, they're not mine sorry'. And she replies 'oh yes they are' and I look at them again and go 'no, honestly, they're really not. That's not my number' and shes getting madder and madder and Im trying to be polite but our conversation is just repeating itself ad nausem. Until eventually a guy behind me comes up and says 'Are you English?' to which I respond 'sorry yeah, is it obvious?' and he proceeds to explain to me he used to live in the UK and he understood the confusion. And that over here a vehicle doesn't retain the same number for its plates throughout its life like it does in the UK to which I felt like a complete tool of course.

doh, been here 5 years and still learning new stuff smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I've been turned away from the local driver's license place three times for having the wrong birth certificate. In Colorado, they put the place in a strip mall with the sign 'Drivers License' and turn you away at the door if they don't like you. To make a long story short, I've had to wait forever for new forms of the BC, and I've been with an expired license for several months. I now actually have six different looking forms of my birth certificate and plan on trying again after this last deadline at work.
    This is what I get for moving downtown, when I was living in the burbs, I could walk right in and out of the DMV with everything I needed, fast. frown.gif
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    They don't even have DMV's where I live. I go to the Secretary of State's office to get my license and tags renewed. So nice living in small towns. Longest I've had to wait was 30 min. smile.gif
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    It used to be much worse before now, but in AZ Ive done everything online for the last few years.. Registration renewal, duplicate drivers license, etc. For those times you need to go in, the lines are fairly manageable.. hour tops.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At what point where you detained for raving like a mad man... that has to explain part your extended stay, 7hrs YIKES!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    It was a total nightmare. Worse is that in Cali you have to take a written test. They didn't tell my wife or I untill right before they handed us the test though. So I had to retake it once. You could only miss 6 out of 36 on your first time through and only 3 tries that day!

But, it's done and hopefully I can avoid that for a few years somehow.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I was never able to finish the written test successfully, but after failing the third time by one question, the lady at the desk was nice enough to let me pass.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Kentucky's driver test is super easy.

after the written test, about 50 multiple choice questions, mostly identifying signs, you wait six months to take your road test(used to be only a week, which is why there are so many HORRID drivers in KY).

anyway, my road test was basically, pull out of the parking lot, make a left turn, do a turn-about, right turn, parallel park, pretend you are parking overnight on a hill, drive a few blocks, head back to the courthouse, and park.

parallel parking sucked ass for me. during all my practices, about 10-12, i did it PERFECT every time. get to my test and BUMP! fail. well.. not just a bump but a tire up on the curb... so i had to take it again. ;|
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Wow it only took me 20-30 mins to register, and get plates for my car. Gotta love Canada wink.gif

I also took my Drivers in a small town = No lineups

Written test was easy (only need to do 1 for your learners permit), one of the blatently easy ones was "Does alchoal - Increase drving performance, or decrease"
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Kentucky's driver test is super easy.

after the written test, about 50 multiple choice questions, mostly identifying signs, you wait six months to take your road test(used to be only a week, which is why there are so many HORRID drivers in KY).

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh - and this is also what makes driving in Cincinnati so much 'fun' ;D