Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    damn shiny water stuff why do they have to make that a requirement ARGH
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    wut? why wont it run on my other laptop? it has intel EXTREME graphix. cumon!

one thing I really don't like- the gamespy account usage. restricts people from changing their nicknames easily. unless I completely missed the change nick box. ¬_¬
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Admins are up in arms today as EA has apparently begun to blacklist Battlefield 2 demo servers that are running without timelimits and/or with all weapons unlocked. While the unlocking of weapons reserved for the full game may be pushing it a bit far (EA did however include all assets for these weapons in the demo, just begging for someone to unlock them), both modifications are enabled with a simple one-line alteration any novice could do in an unencrypted file.

EA has backed the mod community since the release of the Battlefield 1942 demo, but failed to warn of the consequences if the demo was modified, or in fact state that it was forbidden. To make matters worse, EA is failing to respond to requests for comment, and blacklisted servers can only return to the server list by changing I.P., a move that many hosting companies charge for.

[/ QUOTE ]

From: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/625/625301p1.html?fromint=1
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, thats a ballsy move. I wonder why they're even bothering. It's a demo (free), and the real game will be released in just over a week. Now, I know WHY the limits are there, but why bother penealizing (sp?) if you're not going to make 'the rules' known? Doesn't matter for me, I've already bought my copy of the game tongue.gif

And a few of you here wonder why people say negative things about EA.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Oh btw... my computer is still crashing whenever I try to watch a video file. I think it has to do with the drivers the BF2 demo kept prompting me to download (which I did).

Anyone have any ideas for fixes?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Just had a quick blast on the demo this afternoon, it really is a very pretty game.
    Really lovely graphics.
    The gameplay feels pretty good too, I don't know why people were complaining about the sniper rifles, mine seemed to work fine from similar ranges that I'm used to from BF1924. Just shoot people in the head :P
    Vehicles are fun, although I totally couldn't fly that weird hover plane thing ... kept crashing it... the choppers are way easier to pilot.

Will have to try it online as soon as I get home.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    online is where it's at man, it makes singleplayer seem utterly pointless.
    The decision EA took seems rather pathetic and childish to be honest, why bother when there's only a week till it hits shelves?

I too am gonna have to purchase my copy of this.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I dislike EA just like everyone else. But in with their decision on Ranked servers, I agree with them. Commanders are decided by rank, and I'd hate to play hard for that position only to have it taken by a hack. Multiplayer games are great until someone finds a way to win without earning it. I'm not a fan of the timelimit because I haven't seen a single round completed before it runs out. And I play to win. I'm not upset since this won't matter with the full game.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Think it through. It's their usual no messing about policies with protecting their financial interests. The fact that the game is a week away is the very reason to be so aggressively wanting consumers to drop the demo and go pick up the game. If the demo provides umlimited gameplay that's far less likely to happen. It's far from pathetic and childish. But it does suck.
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    the thing is with the original linux server released there was no eula included to say you can't "hack" the server files. Last I checked the settings changed were just that, settings. They were setup from wat i've seen in config files which the end user has control over the settings, or they bloody hell should be able to.

EA's in it for the money grab to get more people to play on their servers or rent out their servers. Makes sense by a business point, but at the same time they've already pissed off quite a few people. Couple friends already canceled their pre-orders over this stupid crap.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I don't see the problem. If you really liked the demo, fork out the cash to buy the game. But if you didn't, dont. Easy. But some people are easily upset by the evil empire I guess.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Oh but they make it so easy *wink*
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Did someone hire you recently Adam to make a smartass response to every single thing I say? Or were you just born this annoying?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, please. One is not simply born with this kind of ability, Adam has carefully cultivated it through years of practice and study. He trained under the wisest of wise-ass internet posters, masters who are no longer legally allowed to access internet forums for the precision of their annoyance. Pray that he will not unload the full fury of his razor-sharp wit!

smile.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Vehicles are fun, although I totally couldn't fly that weird hover plane thing ... kept crashing it... the choppers are way easier to pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't think the F-35 was really designed to be flown around while hovering; I think it's mostly just for vertical take off (go strait up, get enough altitude and then throttle forward).
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Did someone hire you recently Adam to make a smartass response to every single thing I say? Or were you just born this annoying?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's as simple as liking what you have to say about a certain company. Nothing more.

gauss: stalker wink.gif

Keyser: You're right. The best thing to do with that plane is get some altitude, THEN take off. Don't bother hovering around while trying to shoot/fly.. it'll either get you shot down or make you crash a watery death.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    as soon as the full version is out, the polycount game server will be running this.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    My Windows Media Player is having issues now also. It will play some .wmv files fine, but others it just refuses to read all of a sudden. I have no clue what's going on other then maybe some codecs got fubar?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funny. my windows media player has always acted like that.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I wish my dad was less lazy and finally mailed me the CD with the demo!
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Runs surprisingly well on my laptop (ath 64 3000 with ati mobile 9600 64mb). Despite everything set to low, still looks pretty.

Will have to try online matches when I get a free evening. frown.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    as soon as the full version is out, the polycount game server will be running this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have a request about this. The game is going to have 2 types of servers people can run. One being a 'public' server and the other a 'ranked' server. The public is more for people to hop on and just bugger around on. Do their own thing and not worry about their stats so much.

My request is that the PC server be a ranked one. This is also public (anyone can join). The difference being that its monitored by "BFHQ", the stats system built in to BF2. A bunch of us from here have been playing as a (damn good) squad and will probably being looking at our stats quite a bit. I'd also like to play where people aren't acting like asshats as often as they would in a public server. Maybe you could make this the "MD" server? tongue.gif

Thanks bk!

PS: GO MD GO
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    You still need tp Ping me after 6PM Pacific, and tell me which server it is. on MSM if you can. I don't have an IRC client at work.

Scott
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    MSN you mean? Can you PM me your MSN info? I got your user name but I need the e-mail you use for your MSN account to add you to my list.

Can't wait!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On a ranked "MD server" most of the asshats would step aside when the squad winning the game and its members also have the MD prefix. As in one guy not taking our helo when the whole squad is waiting for it. That guy who joined just to scream into our mics was also annoying. If we TK you, you deserved it.

I think we're playing tonight.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Pseudo, me too. Cant play wmv's or mpgs. And you know what that means! ahah! It must be an EA conspiracy to stop us wanking.
    The weird thing is, I rolled back the drivers, and media player is still broken. Most odd.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Elysium I'll be home around 9-9:30PM to play with MD. It's so messed, I honestly cannot wait. Fuck, gamer or NERD?
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    And you know what that means! ahah! It must be an EA conspiracy to stop us wanking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha smile.gif damn the evil corporation ! wink.gif

Still haven't figured out what became broken or how to fix it frown.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey I fixed the video issue of movies not working I had. I just Uninstalled the nVidia Display Drivers from Add/Remove Programs than installed the latest drivers off the nVidia site.

Works fine now!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should be in the mail tomorrow... YAY!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Adam, many of use had to use the beta nvidia drivers in tha package, because the ones on nvidias website give weird shadow issues.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Grindy: I hear guys communicating but don't see any of the "F" keys for pre-programmed things like "Enemy Armor Spotted" sort of stuff. What's the deal? frown.gif
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sal - Hold down the 'q' key on an enemy and a marking menu (or whatever they are called) will appear. Same goes for when you become a squad leader or commander, except they also use the 't' key for more options.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Pseudo, thx man, I'll give it a try. poly142.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm getting damn good with the Q menu.. dont have to look anymore.

#MDsquad on FREENODE
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made it a quick move to help teammates. Move your crosshair over an enemy vehicle, or just enemies. Quickly press Q, and the center button is "Spotted", tap and go. This will alert your team as to what you've spotted, and where it is. What's interesting is you can point out your own teammates as being enemies on the radar. I did that with the annoying TKer last night when he took a chopper.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Medics own in this game, gets you on the top of the charts like nothing smile.gif
    We've been playing at work almost everyday after lunch, just don't tell anybody.

Daz, try classic media player... nobody should be using the windows one...
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    Im definetly down to squash some suckers. anyone wanna collaborate on a night to team up?

i think im getting good, too good...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Badge, in IRC go
    /server irc.freenode.net

/join #MDsquad

Bunch of us are forming something special smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Really wanna jump in and play with you guys ( as it were ) at some point soon. Just been crazy buzy at work. You will probably all pwn me though. I haven't played the demo nearly enough to get good yet.
    StrangeFate: very oddly it has broken media player classic too. Driver rollback doesn't fix it. Must be the codec that somehow got borked perhaps? Totally craptastic.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Windows uses one global codec set, if a codec is borked it's borked for all players.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Daz, when you're installing the nvidia drivers are you deleting the old onesusing Add/Remove?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    ah no good point.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah try that. I did that and went to NO drivers installed then installed the latest off of nvidias site.

Screw the beta drivers, they're b0rked.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Adam, many of use had to use the beta nvidia drivers in tha package, because the ones on nvidias website give weird shadow issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got that as well. Using the included drivers works great.

As for BF2 - I'm up for playing on the #md server all the time.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just play while ignoring the shadow issues wink.gif. (yes, it has finally arrived today)

What kinda annoys me is that there's no way for most infantry types to take down a vehicle, especially considering the number of vehicles in play. Or is there some secret I don't know about?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shoot the playesr, not the vehicle. Last night I took out 3 enemies in a boat as support. If it's a tank, use anti-tank, c4, or an APC. I sometimes use the anti-air as well. Another option could be to have a teammate place c4 all around your vehicle, and bail out just before crashing into an APC or tank, then have the friend detonate it. I'm always shot when drive the dune buggies. The only good thing is they're fast.

Dammit, I should have preordered already. Didn't think they would arrive early.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dune buggies? Boats? Anti-air? I suppose you only get those with more than 16 players, eh? APC are those lorry-style thingies?

I was mostly thinking about tanks. Those things are annoying, they take so many shots to kill even if you're SF or AT (with SF that's only a minor annoyance except you run out of ammo way too quick). The remaining vehicles rarely pose a threat to me, maybe the bots are too stupid or something.

Also I wonder if they'll censor it in Germany. They had to cut C&C Generals, Battlefield 2 is pretty similar.