Home General Discussion

Battlefiled 2 Demo is out!!

sal_manilla
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
Google search of a D/L location. There're lots of places but they are filling up fast. I'm getting mine HERE! Boyeeeeeeee crazy.gif

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yea, I've been playing for about the past 6 hours straight wink.gif

It's the best BF yet, but it's got some serious issues that need to be fixed. Weapons are woefully inaccurate at anything other than point-blank, and there are a lot of physics & netcode issues.

All in all though, a damn good demo laugh.gif
  • JonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonT polycounter lvl 18
    I'm downloading now but won't install it till i finish finals on friday. May well be up for some fragging (Q3, UT ya know) once i've finished and the GF moves back after her exams...
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    damn I installed it this morning, the server browser froze up on me twice. The one time it actually showed some servers they all had zero ping. Well, guess I'll reboot and try again. Had to ctrl-alt-del out of it both times.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was in mid download and we had a split second power outage. Just enuff to to turn off my 'puter half way thru the D/L, I won't be able to see it till tonight. Boo hoo poly109.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Is it using gamespy for servers? I keep trying to register, and it says that email is already been taken. Not really impressed so far. Maybe online will change my mind.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Go to your Demo folder. Delete 'nivida_driver' and 'Redist'.
    Go to 'mods > bf2 > Movies'. Move or delete every Bink file EXCEPT 'menu' 'noise' and 'menu_loggedin'. To move, just create a folder within the 'Movie' folder, and name it something like 'moviehide'. If you delete them along with the 2 folders, you remove about 43 MB. Either way you get a faster load time with no annoying advertisements. Optionally, just remove the nvidia_logo, and EA binks.

It's an amazing game. I'm practicing for the full release. The addition of squads and commanders is cool. I was commander for about 2 minutes last night. Very handy. Unfortunately I was already in battle, and didn't last long. TK'ers are punished. Sniping is more difficult from a very long range, but I'm fine with that (as the one being sniped). grin.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Gamespy claims: "The weapons have a much better feel: if it looks like you should be hitting a guy, you can bet he's taking damage." How does that figure with the "inaccurate weapons" complaints?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inaccurate, as in not realistic? Well that's understandable considering the weapons are designed with "a much smoother gameplay experience" in mind...not to be realistic. And it works for me.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not really impressed so far. Maybe online will change my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, yeah, its kind of an er, online multiplayer game.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I was really enjoying it yesterday. Lots of great sound effects. The few things that I hope get fixed are vehicle explosions. They sound pretty cool.. but the object dieing is just kinda Blehh. It just pops.. and turns black .. or shatters into 50 small pieces. I still think DC has this beat.

Crashing into solid water is kinda odd.. wheres the splash?

No longer can jump ontop a buggy and ride along.. you just die as soon as it starts moving. I really think it should be more oldschool battlefield.

Graphics are awesome.. soft, almost GI rendered looking.
    TRacer fire is the shit!
    That gun on the ACC is the MACDADDYHSHIT! You can fire it at land and hit people with it if you're lucky.

I kinda wish missles worked more like in DC.. its nearly impossible to hit something on the ground with them.

Well.. I'm up and down on many things. Demo is far out. I just jope the final game is more polished.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    It's cool and I like it and I'll buy it. The two main things that piss me off is the conflicting key system when setting up controls and I still can't drive a tank up and over things it should be able to.

I mean you try and change a control and then it says "F, is already taken somewhere in this menu, if you can find it and change it in less than 1min42secs then goody gumdrops for you". It just gives me the shits when I just want to change one key quickly but then have to sit and search through the menu to find the conflict.

Maybe in Battlefield 5 you will be able to actually drive a tank through a wall, who knows.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Inaccurate, as in not realistic? Well that's understandable considering the weapons are designed with "a much smoother gameplay experience" in mind...not to be realistic. And it works for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that I shoot a guy 10 times from 20ft, and he kills me with 2 shots from a 92fs. Random accuracy issues like that are what need to be fixed. Even when doing single shot mode, it's extremely innacurate.

That's the only thing that bothers me about the game so far though. Everything else is top notch. I LOVE the squad system, and how it allows you to spawn in next to your squad leader. Very nice indeed.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    "The fact that I shoot a guy 10 times from 20ft, and he kills me with 2 shots from a 92fs"

maybe the problem was he was a better shot.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    That's the only thing that bothers me about the game so far though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you need to join a squad with a few medics.
    I'm excited to find out you can respawn at your squad leader's position. That's if your medics fail to revive you. Good move.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True.
    I think it's fine as-is IF everyone in the squad acts as a team. But that only happens about 20% of the time frown.gif
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just tried it, was verry pretty and all, but i felt that as a combat game it was weak, i never felt as if i was in combat, as much as i was just trying to walk to some flags while randomly dying. the guns all felt weak to me, the sounds were so low and shallow, like cap guns .. a sniper rifle should not go "pipft"

i just wish it felt more like i was in combat.. more adrenaline pumping

shame too, cause i really wanted to like this
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Definately agreeing with you there Mojo. When shooting a with a sniper rifle I want to hear it loud and resonate off the surroundings smile.gif The anti-tank missiles sound somewhat bleh too when they explode. And the tanks could do with a deeper roar from that 1500hp gas-turbine engine. I really wish sound was less overlooked in games in general.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, yeah, It does have a offline sp mode. That and it still says my email is in use when I try to register for online.
  • nealb4me
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, yeah, It does have a offline sp mode. That and it still says my email is in use when I try to register for online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm yeah, I didn't say it doesn't have single player mode. I said it's a multiplayer game. Subtley but crucially different.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I give up. I tried all this game spy shit. First I find out my login information. Put it in, it just sits there a "create account". I then try another account name, and it says that a profile already exists. Log into gamespy delete that account. Go back to that game retry over and it gain just sits there at "create account".

I really dont like games that rely on third parties to handle multiplayer (at least in part). Anyhow, I dont think I would have enjoyed it. Too much shit in the world to play off modern warfare as "fun". This ethical disconnect would be at the back of my mind everytime I played.

Erm yeah, to your erm yeah, to my erm yeah, to your erm yeah. Erm yeah Daz :P
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You shouldn't really need to use Gamespy. I didn't bother with it. But yeah, If it aint your cup of tea, it aint your cup of tea.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valid complaints? For realistic sound...do you have a subwoofer? The guns are plenty accurate to me.....just use the crosshair and hold it on the target. Remember it IS a demo so your not getting all the bells and whistles. I will NOT hesitate to get the whole game in 2 weeks, boyeeeee. I like how my ears ring and sound sorta goes out a bit when I'm wounded....that seems so real I almost wanna throw up. LOL laugh.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    all those complaints were the same when bf42 demo and bfv demo were released, but dice fixed everything and both games became very well balanced and realistic

just tried it 30 minutes yesterday and offline, but definintely a great game (but I really like bf games so I may not be objective tongue.gif).

it runs really well on my comp. Didn't push the details to far yet though..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sound is VERY lacking, even if that was how 'real war' sounded I don't want that... I tried to tweak my sound card settings to get more of an epic war feeling but it wasn't happening. I agree with mojo about the, walk somewhere and randomly die... I wasn't fighting as much as I was out for a stroll and just happened to wander into combat. I saw zero squad tactics going on which would have helped. But I have to cut players some slack since it is pretty much "all new".

Hopefully they will alot of tweaking and release a solid game, but something tells me it won't be a fun game until after the first expansion and half dozen patches =/
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Well, this is a new game so I reckon people are more-or-less 'fucking around' with the game and won't do the squad combat until the full game is released and people are more comfortable with the game.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    nah, you just need to get on the right server. last 3 servers i played yesterday each one of them had at least 2-3 squads. once people realize the advantages the system provides (spawning near squad leader etc), they adapt to it pretty quickly. though the last server we were on was the only one where the voice communication seemed to be working.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    same thing for me, played a lot today on server where squads were very well used, that was pretty fun though

haven't tried the commander position yet tongue.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a couple of us from #md have been playing in a squad together. one major problem we've encountered is teammates appearing as enemies, and vice versa. expendabLe seems to be a TK target lately. the TK punishing system isn't so great. another problem is teammates destroying your helos, jets, and command centers at the base. An act like that should provoke and immediate kick from the server. but it requires an entire team vote to kick someone...lame. some people can't read. hate to see a handful of people ruin the game when all the squads are trying to hard to win. once the full game is released, I'm hoping these childish acts will die down.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Been playing quite profusely today, helo fun! xD
    If any of you suffer those LCD 1280x1024 woes, changing the .con won't work but adding " +szx 1280 +szy 1024 " into the targetbox of the shortcut does work and it's beautiful =]
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Myself, tRens, RazorBladder, ElysiumGX, a friend (ShadowRift) and someone we found on the server just got finished playing as a squad for about the last 90 minutes..

..and holy SHIT was it fun! I loved storming those fuggin' beach flags, sneaking thru on the shore. Looking behind me, noticing the 6 of us all running thru together. I also really really enjoyed playing defence as a squad - something I never thought about.

fun stuff
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget parachute jumping off the tall base-building into the swimming pool!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    hhhmm, weird. Anyone else have any problems with windows media player since installing the drivers that came with the demo? Mine seems to be brokwn now.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jumping into that pool is fun, and a great element of the map. Base jumping off the crane is also cool. I think I'll wait til the weekend to play again. Until then, I have some fraps videos to edit. Anyone know a good place to upload large video files?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Daz, yup. Everytime I go to play a movie now my computer comes to a screeching hault. Wonder what they've done...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I don't have that problem with Media Player.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I can honestly say I had a blast playing the game all weekend. Much funner than the limited playtime I had at E3. Squad play is what makes this game that much better, so if you havent played in a squad.. do it and ditch the "lost soul" feeling.

Here's what I hope they fix: I was TK'd constantly.. dont know why, but at first ElysiumGX said I looked like an enemy to him even though we were in the same squad. Unfortunately, this happened during several matches. At one point I completely lost all my keybinds and mouse control in game although mouse/kb worked fine in the menu. I like others would like to see some type of "hit indicator" so I know I'm at least doing damage to the enemy. The sniper to me is weak.. I laid up on the roof of the riverside base and sniped at the enemy on foot running towards me. It took an average of 3 hits to kill an enemy.. I was better off with the single burst of the special ops assault rifle. I'm sure many of the bugs will be patched.. I just hope they address the serious ones quickly as I can see I'll be playing this quite a bit.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I suspect that "it's an enemy!" bug is in fact a feature to explain the TKing of american forces in Iraq.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good point. and they said the game lacked realism.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kdr i suspect you are an idiot.

i've warmed up to th game a bit, have had some fun playing it over the past few days. you don't even need to chute to make it off the motel building. just jump straight in the pool and you hardly get hurt.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah Mojo you should play with us again. With *OVER* 6 friends jumping into a server its a little hard to organize 2 squads. Mainly because 6 ppl will join 1 squad and the leftovers in another, without thinking it through.

I definitely had a blast with it.

expendable: There is a hit indicator. When you've hit your target your cross-hair changes to the cross-hair plus an "X" ontop of it to show that you've made contact.

Few things I'd like to see: <ul type="square">

A lobby for game servers. You'd connect to the server then sit in the lobby. With this you and your 5 friends can join up as a squad *THEN* jump in to the game. I like the idea of organizing my squad before jumping in. That way you can all spawn where your Squad Leader spawns and be organized right off the get-go.

2 spots for your player name (not the account name). One spot for your clan "tag" and the other for your actual name. That way it isn't a hassle to throw good ol' "[#MD]" infront of the name without the hassle of a new account.

I found it hard to hear my team-mates when they were using their mics. This wasn't because of pour mic/VOIP quality but because everything else in the game is so damn loud! I hated trying to talk to a friend then hear my MEC voice yell something in Arabic (right?) louder than I'm trying to speak. I had to ask people to repeat themselves a few times 'cause of this.
    [/list]

Overall, I'm really lovin' it and jonesing to play again.

GO MD GO.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I just spoke to a producer on the project and it seems that yes, the 'friend appearing as foe' bug has indeed been confirmed. If anyone can provide any more details around experiencing that then please let me know and I'll get that back to them. Right now they cant even reproduce it so the more info they get the quicker they can nail it.

" The friends appearing as enemies is a bug we are trying track down so any repro steps you can provide greatly appreciated.
    thanks."
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha wow. I'm getting the demo at 2.12MB/sec
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Local ftp?
    I downloaded it Friday night @ 370KB/sec. Not blazing fast, but not bad, either. Took about 20min or so
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Josh, you down with some hot Squad action later tonight? Like 9PM EST (6-ish your time?)
    tRens and I are lookin for a few good men wink.gif
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll b up for more games, had a blast last night once we finally found a server that was gud to stick to :]
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    What Server?

Scott
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Dunno. I went to the link that sal posted. It took like 5 minutes to get the demo. Hahahaha
    My internet here at work rules.
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    server for those in the northwest to check out would be www.cracksmokingmonkeys.net (try the .org version for a decent chuckle wink.gif ).
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I just spoke to a producer on the project and it seems that yes, the 'friend appearing as foe' bug has indeed been confirmed. If anyone can provide any more details around experiencing that then please let me know and I'll get that back to them. Right now they cant even reproduce it so the more info they get the quicker they can nail it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    A guy at work had the bug too. He said it was when the server was on auto balance and switched sides for him automatically.