Home General Discussion

Guild Wars is gravy, polycounters unite!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
I'll leave it to the copious amount of good reviews out there to convince you to pick this one up, but personally I'm having a great deal of fun with this one. It's not so much a mog as it is a monster killing field with a virtual lobby, and it all works quite nicely. The art is mazing and it's very low commitment, unlike traditional MOGs. You can easily pick it up and play for 30 min and get something done.

I started a Guild and it may be cool to get the polycounters on it. If anything it's a chat channel for all of us. Leave you're char. name if interested, I'll send an invite.

Guild name is 'Monster Closet,' Ala Doom 3. Soon as I get some more scratch I'll pony up the monstrous amount of gold to buy us capes. smile.gif

Replies

• bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    damnit! don't encourage me to buy more games!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I want to buy it. And with no subscription fee, I can afford to buy two for me and the girl to play together.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Isnt it true the game is mostly just PVP? confirm/deny.

I thought about picking it up, but i'd like to try it before i buy...
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naw, there's loads of PVE, but the end game is lot's a of Guild vs. Guild stuff (though there are lots of high lvl dungeons I'm told). It isn't wow or eq though, so don't expect 150+ hours till you cap out, you can hit lvl 20 in a few weeks if you want. What's nice about PVp is it's optional and organized, having modes like capture the flag and king of the hill.

So far, it's been almost all PVE for me, and the story is interesting.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The game is also less about levels and more about strategy. Knowing which skills to use in what combination can mean life or death. The limit to 8 skills per mission also helps to dampen the impact your level has on the gameplay.

I wish I could join the fun but that won't be before I move back because of this awful internet connection.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    LD did some work on it so I am waiting for my comp copy wink.gif
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    honestly had a pre-order and played through a couple of the test weekends only to get bored with it before each weekend ever finish. after a couple times like that I just canceled my pre-order and put that cash towards some other games. Sure the game is beautiful, but personally it felt like the same thing over and over to me.
  • Dravalen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dravalen polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the PvE is neat but nothing to write home about. It's the PvP that makes things a total blast for me.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, canceled my pre-order as well. smile.gif but a friend of mine had me approach the game from a different perspective other than the 'next WoW.' if you ever played Phantasy Star Online it's much more like that in my opinion. so it works for me, something to turn my brain off and play for an hour here and there.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well turns out we have a copy here at work to 'rent' out. So i got it in my grubby little hands right now. Gonna install and check it out tonight.

Shindo Wakimaru will be my name
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    That's it.

*Buys game later on*
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I must say my initial exposure to the game was "OMFG wow this looks amazing!!!"...the gameplay was simple and easy to pickup on. Running quests in the tutorial/newbie area was fun and kept me playing for 3.5hours straight last night.

Game ran smooth as silk, no lag with maxed out options
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    nitzmoff, I just bought it last eve and am looking for some peeps to party with. My char name is Cass Hern original, I know :/) let me know when you are on. I just hit lvl 5 and am still coming to grips with the overall systems in the game, but am finding it to be fun. I'm playing Monk/warrior. Probably not the best combo, but it seems to work well enough.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds swell, the ol' guild is still uber small, but I can send you an invite. On the plus side, you'll get a swanky cape as I just recently purchased them for everyone.

I won't be on much this week due to E3 though, and no worries, about char classes. Remember, any class combo can work in the game, it's quite balanced.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Man, I love this game. Officer of guild DOOM. 36 members or so. anyone not cool enough for nitzmoff's guild is welcome!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    OK, I am going to pick this for the new comp after I get back from E3. Is there a certain server I need to get into?
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No one is totally cool enough, but I let it slide smile.gif

Honestly, I just formed the guild so I could design my own cape. And no, you can server hop on the fly, so just hop on in and play.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like it. I played WoW for a long time, COH, AC2, tons of MMOs, and I just don't like the feel of guild wars. The gameplay isn't very good IMO, and the graphics attempt to make up for it, but you just can't substitute gameplay with graphics.

And it's also annoying that you turn really slow with keys and can't adjust the speed at which you turn.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I think the game is pretty fun; it builds upon the whole Diablo style. This is probly the closest thing I'll get to playing an MMO. I'm now just focused on running through it as fast as I can to see all the pretty visuals. My warrior kicks ass, though.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crap, I shouldn't have started playing this. Now I've got the bug to reinstate my WoW account. ugh!!!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, alot of reviews say Guildwars is casual and you can play a quick 30 min game if you want.... they said the same things about WOW and it ended up sucking my life away. So, can I pick this game up without it becoming another unholy time sink?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    You know why you can play a quick 30 min game? Because it's boring as hell.

You click the enemy, he automatically runs to it, and automatically attacks.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You know why you can play a quick 30 min game? Because it's boring as hell.

You click the enemy, he automatically runs to it, and automatically attacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are supposed to use the skills!
    Or if you think your warrior char is too easy try a necro or some other difficult class.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    It is quite a limited game lvl 20 cap, no way of making a character with different statistics (like health or mana) without using items, and fighting is more of a logics/statistics test not anything to do with reflexes, but im still enjoying it , the main trouble is finding a group of ppl to play with who actually know how to play a game COOP, not run off on there own/attract a load of monsters and run back to the party to get them killed.

The graphics are top notch though, i really love what they did with after affects to the lighting. As for the gameplay its easy to pickup and put down again , but i wouldnt call it boring. ... but hey , thats my silly opinion smile.gif
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    I'm playing too - my character is called 'E Lips' so stick me in your friends list if you want to party :-)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I've been playing for a few days only to find out what I thought was the game was the noob area! The PVP really feels like some fast and furious deathmatch action, I keep getting my but kicked though.
    My character is 'Ysgalon Levias' a 7th level Mesmer/Elementalist
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Ok, I'm in now. Jeff McHeroton is my chars name. I'm an uber level 4 warrior/mesmer badass too!
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, as stated above I'm back on WoW. played guild wars to lvl 8 and the entire time i was craving WoW so I bought a game card and started my account back up. Got 7 lvl's in the past 5 days. Dammit!!! I may hop back on GW after I hit 60. Only 35 lvl's to go :/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    well, as stated above I'm back on WoW. played guild wars to lvl 8 and the entire time i was craving WoW so I bought a game card and started my account back up. Got 7 lvl's in the past 5 days. Dammit!!! I may hop back on GW after I hit 60. Only 35 lvl's to go :/

[/ QUOTE ]

My friends said Blizzard keeps your characters even if you cancel your account, is this true? If it is I might get back into it.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i was out for 2 months and my stuff was still there. I've never read anything about them deleting them after a period of time ala FFXI. Depending on how long you've been out and your system specs be prepared for some horrible framerates in the xroads and orgrimmar. The honor system opened up all kinds of town raids that bring my system to it's knees. Guess I gotta throw some more ram in my box to counter it. It seems it comes from disk swapping and my 512MB isn't cutting it.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Yay, back from Mallorca... Anyway, bought the game RIGHT before I left for vacation, and actually found an old world-preview char still existing on the servers! xD

Anyhoo, if anyone's got a guild going, gimme a holler...
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    hey i just bought this game on the recommendation of a friend but i have no idea what im doing im a level 3 monk and a total n00b, so if you can help me out lemme know smile.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been very busy lately, so I haven't logged on in a while. When I get the chance I'll look a few of you up.