Home General Discussion

Unreal Tournament 2007 first video

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
_Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
ok this one was stunning. I really enjoyed it. Slowly but heavyly growing i get the feeling that our industry is getting incredibly hard for artists in future. It actually looks like a rendered movie. I really dont know how much time and effort is put into these assets but its a lot i guess.
The U3 movies were not that attractive as this was if you ask me. just wow... I gonna prove a actually CAN model full characters in high poly i guess smile.gif

If anyone wants to see this, here we go:

http://unreal-universe.myexp.de/include....go&mirror=1

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    AWESOME.

Unreal engine > *

eff doom 3
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    With all the pre-rendered BS being tossed around by so many top companies, it's even more impressive to see Epic go toe-to-toe with them using real-time graphics.

Unreal Engine > *
    Epic > *
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Oh god oh yes oh yes.

Edit: THis better be a PC release as well.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    I personally can't wait for this to be release! I can't wait to mod it!
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I just can't believe how awesome those charcaters are . The design and models ...the materials and textures . It's fantastic . The enviroments look just as good also...Epic has an amazingly talented team working on there games ... im just blown away by everything that ive seen from them since Unreal tech demo 3.0
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to need a new computer.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    That is absolutely stunning. Definite props to Epic too for being able to put their money where their mouth is and literally prove that this is realtime. And 2 or 3 months to get this stuff up and running on a PS3? Er, woa.
    Awesome stuff.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I've been watching this thread, sure it would turn nasty before 10 posts... but no!

I appreciate the optimism folks; and I'm sure the rest of the team does as well.

r.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if that reflects on epics skill or on the PS3's ease of use. The PC user in me hopes it's the former, the nerd in me isn't so sure...
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higher Res versions for more shock and awe

http://media.ps2.gamespy.com/media/748/748505/vids_1.html?fromint=1

ROR in that video the robots head is blown apart and glowing orange with heat ...can you destroy NPC like that...blow them apart ..or is that just for dramatics ..freaking love the material effects there looks real laugh.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Shucks, time to get more ram. Congrats to the guys at Epic, leaving me tripping over my jaw......again.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, the ONLY thing that bothers me is the fact that that whole scene is realtime but not actaully a scene from the game. I guess it wont be possible to destroy parts of the models or have that cineastic action going on in game wink.gif Nevertheless i am still stunned. and yeah, i forgot to add the url to the hires pictures which are awesome (l like them very much, cause you can tell a lot from the tricks epic uses for achieving this look and how the textures probably look like).

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/614/614295p1.html?fromint=1

Ror, good work and cheers to the team! Is there a chance that we get some more indepth view of the things? Maybe some renders with the several textures (just diffuse, then with bump, then normal, etc) of the characters or some more info how the things work and look like in U3.

I think epic does a lot of trickery to achieve this look, which is well....good, no need to rant about this smile.gif. Some indepth view of the artistic side of content creation in U3 would be nice, though.

Thanks

And hell, this is looking just awesome. (and repeat!)
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    If they were able to whip that up in 2 to 3 months I can only imagine what they can make with more time.
    Actually I can't really imagine but it should be kick-ass smile.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    _Shimmer, check the unreal technology pages (unless you already have) for general info on asset specs.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/flash/technology/ue30.shtml

I've always liked unrealEd, and can't wait to get me mitts on this one...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I have little doubts that destroying preset parts of the models is possible. Dynamic destruction, now that's a LOT harder since you'd somehow have to tell the engine what the newly created polies should look like texture-wise. Geomod has the advantage of being applied to fairly homogenous materials.

Anyway, I'll buy it. On the PC. One reason would be the mods and the other that I'll very likely not own a PS3 when this is released. Seriously, does anyone here even consider the PS3 version?

It's awfully dark, though.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm unsure what you mean by trickery.

Most of the wow factor in these vids is just lighting; specifically, the movement of light from explosions or just regular lights is what reveals the depth of angles within the normal map on the models.

Theres no smoke and mirrors beyond the fact that Normal maps are millions of polys normals mapped down to a low poly version which is still in the thousands.

As has been mentioned shimmer, you can read up on the feature list at the unreal tech page.

We're making assets that are cinematic quality, we're modelled nuts and bolts and dents and scraps in metal. We don't need trickery, we just need the dynamic lighting and shadowing of these incredibly complicated assets so the viewer can fully appreciate the amount of detail in them.

As far as trickery goes, our coders still won't give us the 'make cool model' or 'optimise game performance' buttons we ask for smile.gif

Really, Tim froze the game and took the demo off its rails to illustrate the point that its just the power of the engine that makes it look as good as it does.

As far as damaged parts go, its something I've pushed for, others have pushed for damageable geometry too, it will come down to a question of time.

The real problem with this tech is no longer 'how do I do this' , its 'what do I have time for' because you can do pretty much everything you ever dreamed of now, to cinematic quality, but that takes time, so we have to be a lot more choosy and plan what we want to accomplish.

r.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this far it was just a scripted switch to a damage model? At very least give us the ability to exchange parts of the model with a damaged version (instead of scaling down bones or something), preferrably without coding in a new species and killing netgame compatibility (custom gibs and sounds without coding would be nice as well...).

What I'd like to see end is the "pantomime" stuff in third-person games nowadays. Your character reloads but actually only makes the hand movements, he doesn't remove the clip or anything (and even if he just grabs a new one out of thin air, same for weapon changing). One character hands an item to another one, they just hold their hands together and the other char talks like he got something. Talking about some "serious wound" while the model actually doesn't show a scratch. Stuff like that.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I'm impressed. I wouldn't call it "trickery" when a company displays the result of high poly, normal maps, and spec maps made correctly. The work put into this game is fantastic. The mod community should learn from these examples , no more greyscaled texture speculars. This should feel right at home with high poly artists with experience in rendering. I love the running animation for the robot. Awesome work. This technology will make it more difficult for game hobbyist, but I think it'll encourage us to improve as technical artists. I feel sorry for anyone starting out in low poly atm. Such a long way to the top now. I can't imagine how the mod scene will react to this engine. So hopefully the tools provide will bridge the gap.

I just gonna keep watching this over and over.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ror, the thing is i wondeered about the first screens released shwoing malcoom with SSS in his ears. Im quite sure that a engine cant handle this for now, but you use some tricks to make it look like SSS. Thats basicly what i wanted to know. A good example would be also how you make you diffuse maps. As far as i can tell they are made out of a heightmap, displacmentmap or whatever you want to call them baked into a color with textures and some milky handpaint job. I just would love to see some more indepth look on the characters. The U3 engine page is 1. very well known by me (spelling?) and 2. looks outdated 3. is outdated as admitted by ror in another thread i guess. Also i am not a stupid gamer who want to see a wireframe model, a highpolymodel and the "result" at the end. Im more interested in screenshots from 100% selfilluminated diffuse maps for example. http://home.comcast.net/~dpattenden/images/hi_poly_tut/nolights.jpg
    This picture from DaZ Tutorial with the 100% selfilluminated texture tells me 1000 more words then these userfriendly pictures on the U3 engine site. Basicly thats what im looking forward to see in future. Would be nice...8)
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh right you're wanting tutorials! Now I understand.

Sorry, theres zero chance of that, I gave up on the tutorial game a long time ago and to do one on our tech I would have to grind through lots of red tape which I'm not willing to do.
    Also, when I mentioned that I wanted to do a tutorial explaining how to use our tech before GDC, after the subject came up in the Paid Jobs section, I was told that people were worried such a tutorial would eat into my productivity.

That only left me with giving away my freetime as an option and that goes to my family only.

So no, no chance there I'm afraid.

I don't intend getting myself into the same 'question and answer' boat that Lee Perry got trapped into. I'm sure you guys will all manage to work it out yourselves just as you have always done previously through using the UDN site upon the games release and drawing upon the communities collective knowledge.

r.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And, um, can you tell your programmers that the mod community would EXTREMELY APPRECIATE an ASCII-based intermediate format for skeletal meshes that we can export into and have UED read? The PSK specs are nigh unusable when you're not writing C.
  • Kevin Johnstone
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahahah, ror.
    Hey, i not wanted that you give me tuts or something. I just asked if they would be a chance that between the timeframe of now and 2007 there will be any released shots of the mechanics behind all this. Nothing more.

I erally not want to bug you with that kind of stuff smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if I came back too strong Shimmer, I just want to make it clear that I'm not willing or able to pass on KDR's wish list for features and I dont have time nor interest in doing tutorials, I've passed on the gauntlet when it comes to tutorials.

I expect there will be info forthcoming later on though, it's just very unlikely that it will come from me heh

I just wanted to pop my head into this thread and say thanks for the praise because its been tough work getting to grips with the new tech so moreso than normal ive been really anxious to see how it would be received as a couple of years ago, I had to lie about my modelling experience to get jobs smile.gif

r.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speaking as a moderately lousy modder I am a bit overwhelmed by this as I've only really come to grips with the super basics of UnrealEd. I don't fear the new super-good models though I know a few modders who scream this is armageddon for casual modding.
    My question, is the editor more user friendly? I'd really like to spend more time working on my car, or maybe even a gal...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Im almost tempted to start creating a character now to have ready to pop in by the time the game is finished. laugh.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a bad idea.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I second that.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Im almost tempted to start creating a character now to have ready to pop in by the time the game is finished. laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at least build the high res static meshes for the normal maps . I hope they will give out some info fairly before they go gold i'd love to have a character done soon after the release !
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    ror, would you mind telling me what normal mapping is? also if you could post a breif rundown of your pipeline as far as how they're integrated into the engine, that'd be wonderful.

(in case you're not sure, i'm kidding)

really tho, this stuff is totaly amazing. i'd kill for the oportunity to work on work at this caliber.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else see the Gears of War preview for the Xbox360 at E3? I got a chance to see it in the VIP theater and it was stunning. Epic is turning out some great tech!
  • Chub_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chub_e polycounter lvl 18
    Wonderful..looking forward to playing
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It's looking great mate.

Truely with t power of the next gen consoles things will look great - Ror pointed out the lighting, and if you look at any of the impressive E3 demos you will notice the same thing - the poly counts may have gone up, but it's the use or normal maps and great real time lighting and shading and self shadowing thats really bringing things to life.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    anyone seen the killzone 2 trailer? go see it!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What for? Seeing what those devs THINK their engine will be capable of?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    shimmer, that SSS is a part of the material definition itself

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/MaterialEditor.jpg

the Tmission/Tmission Mask is how its done.

thanks guys!
  • Dio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dio polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    anyone seen the killzone 2 trailer? go see it!

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    What for? Seeing what those devs THINK their engine will be capable of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Ill toss my 360 out the third floor window if PS3 launch titles actually look like that.

UT2k7 has my hopes up but it so far off its not worth the thought. Gears of War should help stave off my desire but, this means no Epic mod love till 2007 which is the worst part.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Why buy it on a console if its coming out on PC though?
    As far as the next gen games go, this one is way at the top of the list.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why buy it on a console if its coming out on PC though?
    As far as the next gen games go, this one is way at the top of the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

high end gaming comp = expensive
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I hope the minimum requirements aren't something crazy like 2 6800ultra's in SLi mode.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    There's a job at Epic Games -
    JOIN THE TEAM! EPIC GAMES NOW HIRING!
    http://www.epicgames.com/

make me dream about it crazy.gif
    (too old - too newbie, I'm confused.gif )