Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    "where did you get your handle from?"

i was born with it
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    it comes from star wars rogue squadron. 12 people in a squad, and i'm 13. which means i'm not in the squad cause i suckzors. picked it up while playing the first xwing game, back in the mid 90's.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Mine comes from an ancient indian word meaning White Death . In the place where I come from the frost that settles on the trees and makes the landscape blanketed in a white frost is called pogonip. I always thought it was a cool word .
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    My nic now was though up in about 3sec. I had to create an account for the Tournament.com boards and for some reason the word set came to mind as in let,set,get (programming terms) I doubled the T at the end cuz the board needed a 4 letter min. I guess it's like Redd Foxx -whatever.
    I think it sounds pretentious but I guess I'm stuck with it.

My old BBS nic was Winston_Smith. I should of stuck with that.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 94: 'Guard thy tongue from falsehood as thou gardest thy purse from a Jackablade.'

Not sure why exactly I decided to go around calling myself a pickpocket, but I decided that it had to be my handle the moment I read it in Thief: The Dark Project. I also needed a change 'Charnel Desire' seeing as no one ever seemed to get my carefully crafted play on words.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    it used to be my email address for years - [email="danr@whereveriworkedormydomesticisp"]danr@whereveriworkedormydomesticisp[/email] ... but recently my work one has changed to some grim full-name-with-a-dot-in-it affair, and no ISPs seem to have it free any more.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    came from years of getting my butt kicked online. No matter what game or world I played in.. I just felt "expendable"
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    got mine from a tv show, and thought it was worthy to replace it over my old name, which was Phil McCrackin
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    parasite7 came from a song title from my favorite band as a kid, KISS. and 7 comes from my little league number.

but parasyticmoon is broken down parasytic=tic and moon=luna so in essence the company name is lunatic.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    moose is a family nickname. Everyone on my pop's side of the family calls me 'Moosey' or 'Moose' or some derivative, since my pop's name is Maury as well (well, we call him Maurice - "Mar-iss" "Mar-see"), so somehow i ended up with the nick Moose.

ive also gone by:

SatanicFalcon: from the pantera Vulger video, one small segment where phill hangs out a window "HOLY SHIT ITS THE SATANIC FALCON" as some car wizes by.

and

Dr. Intenso: one of my college drinking buddies came up with this, after i started calling him Sgt. Salisbury... i started this game called "jump in the air, fall on the ground," causing mahem on the porch. After i had taunted about 20 random people walking by with the game i got that name.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    "Jes"per Mortensen..

Old-school coin-machines didn't take more than 3 letters, so Jes was the obvious choice (being I was 8 back then)... Guess it stuck with me ever since. shocked.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Always liked the number zero as its nothing but yet we count it. So used zero as my call sign of playng games, then when i came here i changed to thegodzero because i liked the idea of being te god of nothing.

Oh and i just found out yeah, there was also a myth about thegodzero, hes the creator and bringer of numbers. Makes sense if you think about it, before you can get to one you have to start at zero.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't reply to this thread right away because it's been so long, the details are fuzzy. Alas, I first used this name online more than ten years ago, so the details remain fuzzy. I started with Gold, which lasted a few months in 1994, and then decided I needed something 'more aggressive' for whatever MUD I was playing at the time, thus I chose Vermilion (which I no longer bother capitalizing). Why I decided colors were the way to go I can't quite explain.

The name I use in the event vermilion is taken in whatever online thing I'm into is Exsanguine - plucked that one out of the air in 1996, a bastardized form of the term for removing blood from a body. No, I'm not a vampire fan or anything, I just thought I was very clever back then due to my ability to read and write in Latin (see what parochial education brings a man to?) I didn't even know it was an actual word at the time (which it is).
  • ScreaminBubba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScreaminBubba polycounter lvl 18
    Mine came from the term "screamin" for someone being blatently obvious about something.

Was in the car with my wife and we saw this guy who was your typical rednek good ol' boy, and I said "man, that guy's just screamin' bubba."

"ScreaminBubba. Hmm."

It stuck. It's also a pun. I pass for rednek pretty easy, even though I'm far from it.

I'm ScreaminBubba.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    Foehammer, I got the name from Halo, Foehammer is one of the pilots in the first game and she dies later in one of the books. Found out later that it was also in LOTR one of Gandalf's swords is named Foehammer the yackity shmackity or something.

I also use Ak3K, short for ASSKICKER3000, which was an upgrade from the asskicker2000 model which i started using because "Spoon" was taken in many of the online games I played at the time.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    This is my real name but it used to be Ysgalon. I wanted something lovecraftian so I just tried stringing a bunch of consonants together. People shortened it to Ysg and I stuck with that.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    From a classic Dean Koontz novel smile.gif
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Mine was given to me by my best friend, Neal is my real name. This was about 4-5 years ago when Q3 was the hot new thing and I started getting into gaming *tear* smile.gif
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    No real story behind mine. Was trying to think up a cool band name when I was a teenager and I came up with Hollowmind. I've stuck with it ever since. I initially thought if it as meaning soulless, not empty headed. I know hollowheart would've been better to take as meaning soulless but that just sounds too gay and emo, hehe.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm JO420 how did i come up with that,i forgot where really wink.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back when I first got internet access I tried creating names, the first was batman but it was taken, the next was vigilante, that was taken. So I spelled it Vigialanti and it went thru. I couldn't remember how I had spelled it so I shortened it to Vig.

Since that is a borring story I now just say "Vig is the margin a bookie makes off of bets." I am the no loose money maker, why bet when you can have a sure thing? And other such nonsense.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Penname, sounds good when I say and since it isn't my real name I can say or create just about anything non-criminal that I want and still go into politics later.
  • Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    Kirin:

Well ... it's been ages since I've had this nick. I think it dates back to the first Ranma 1/2 movie with that guy that's the head of the Seven Lucky Gods Martial Arts. I thought it sounded cool so I adopted it. Much later, I was browsing around the internet just to see what the name really meant and it dates back to the days of Confucious. Kirin is said to be a mythical Chinese unicorn that brings good luck.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I started off here around 4/5 years ago at real young age and I had an obsession with DBZ at the time so an unoriginal Vegeta 666 was spawned for a while.
    About 2 years later Raz0rBlade came about out of thin air really, depressing :/
    For the past 2 years I decided to change it as I felt the nick was rather depressing and whatnot after growing out of the ol' angsty teenager crap. So I wanted something more uplifting and sommat that would perhaps get some kinda reaction so I altered the nick to RazorBladder with the inspiration of a day when I must've visited the lav 15 times.
    Has stuck since and I doubt it's gonna change.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i've had many many nicks in my day, from Snotie, Chunklite, Syphelus 3Dog when i first came to #model_design i picked the name Mojo_dojo a slight take on the powerpuff girls villian mojo_jojo, but there was already a Dojo in the channel and i caused confusion, so i changed to mojo_Jojo for a while, sometimes just going by mojo, then in the year 2000 i got my new pc and really got focused on game art, and updated my name to mojo2000 ir mojo2k...

its anoying cause i've really wanted to change my nick for a long long time.. but this just keeps stickin...

SCREW IT!@!@!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    HAAHAHAH I DID CHANGE IT!

this nick is from the wuzzles cartoon, a half rhinocerous, half monkey. rhinokey35.jpg
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I've made up alternate names for myself since about age 6. Never thought my actual name was that cool. Mostly, they have served as the alias for that alternate side of me that is the person I would be if I could do whatever the hell I wanted, all the time.

I used to go through these aliases every few years. So a few years back, I needed a new one. I was working closely with a couple of programmers, doing my first game art, making assets, and numbering all the sequences starting with '0'. That was cool. So I started thinking about how zero is both the first and the last, the origin and the void, all that existential crap.

So 'John Zero' I became. I say that it's my 'nom de guerre', the name people call you when you're a shadowy underground guerilla leader, or whatever. Or else my 'nom du ordinateur'. Come to find, 'jzero' is pretty good handle as a username. It's often unique, but when it's not, 'johnzero' or 'radiumskull' are mighty efficacious.

I don't think the guys at Sketch Group are completely sure of my real name.

Mojo: Tell us about 'Meandalethesnail ' --!!

/jzero
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    B&Q

hardware department, near the doors
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    ahhhh the origin of "Meandalethesnail"

once i was trying to get a yahoo im acocunt, and every varriation imaginable of "mojo" was taken, then every varriation of everything else i wanted, so finaly i said "i bet MeanDaleTheSnail" is not taken! and it wasn't