Home Full time/Part time work

Multiple positions open at Epic

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ozymandias: I would say that you really need high-poly environment work in your portfolio before applying. That is, after all, what they're looking for. Epic want someone who can jump straight into the modelling seat and start producing stunning high-poly environment meshes straight away. So your lack of experience in this area would probably be a very large down-point on your application.

Plus, after examining your site, I would suggest that you continue to practise your art skills and think more about design, lighting and texturing when making 3D environments. Your work, while pretty good, is nowhere near the standard Epic are currently working to... it seems to me that at this stage they would probably not even give you much, if any, consideration for the job application.

Of course, this is just from my experience and thoughts, but I fear Rorshach will probably say the same about your situation.

Keep practising, update your portfolio, steadily move towards more detailed and well-designed environments, and you will be well on your way to getting a job such as this. 10000 polygons on-screen at once is probably ok for doing mid-high poly environment modelling - just check your control geometry with a meshsmooth modifier every now and then, or have it only apply the subdivision at render-time, and as Rorshach says if you hide and unhide certain areas you're working on, you can make much more detailed scenes without your computer lagging up too much.

MoP
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Ozy: Mop said it all!

Noone gets hired here based on our assuming that despite them not being able to prove themselves in their resume, they will prove themselves on the job. I doubt that places where that way of doing business is approved, last long as it just would not make any sense.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the critique MoP, and thanks for the info Rorshach. I'll keep working and maybe go into debt for an up-to-date computer to replace the p.o.s. that I have at the moment. Also looking forward very much to that tutorial Rorshach, that will be awesome.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I was looking at the GDC class list and saw a GDC class "Art Content Creation for the Next Generation Unreal Engine" with Jerry O’Flaherty and Pete Hayes. Definately one of the major classes I'm looking forward to (Mop I'll take legible notes).
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, that would be awesome Jeff! Go for it! smile.gif
  • Mike Porter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Porter polycounter lvl 18
    Pete is a bad ass and a great guy. I'm sure that the class is going to rock. I wouldn't hesitate to get in on that learning session!
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    todman polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Ror,
    Thanks for letting us know, we all want a super-cool job like yours! I'll send my resume and links to my site, it's more low-poly and text map right now. Ummm. never mind I just looked at the "old" models, I'm not even close to that good...good luck to everyone else
    thanks
    todman
    www.todd3d.com/3dmodel
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KevinCoyle polycounter lvl 18
    I'm close to finishing my portfolio/demo reel, and I'll be graduating in about 7 weeks. I'm planning on sending you my resume and portfolio in a few weeks once i'm finished with my demo reel. I just wanted to check in to make sure that the environment modeling position was still open. I checked epicgames.com and the position is still listed there, I just wanted to confirm. Thanks
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're still looking yes, and a 3rd member of the art team called Kevin would be just the thing to make communication easier smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    "All Kevins to Boardroom 1, please."
  • Mark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark polycounter lvl 18
    Just to jump in here with my opinion. Even you're not applying for the Epic job(s) having some high poly work in your portfolio would be wise. The industry's about to jump aboard the Normal mapping wagon, and the techinique that Rorshach describe is similar to what other studios are doing now.

Mark Jones.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Darn, still available huh? I was hoping this would go away.. I would love to have my co work on that.

Right now reading this is as much free time I have though so I guess updating webpage, portfolio and reel is out of the question. E3 crazyness claims another victim :P
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well on the bright side Okkun, as you know, everyones too busy to be looking at updated portfolios atm anyway!

r.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    Rorshach thanks for the discription on the enviornment workflow thingy wink.gif

I saw a building on one of those u3 screens and i wondered if the whole building was unwrapped and has no tilled textures, because i was seeing some rust on it but nowere repeated rust :O and how big would the resolution be than for one building :O
    umm i found a screenshot http://www.devmaster.net/engines/screenshots/Unreal%20Engine%203-2.jpg it seems the texture was mirrord here but the rest of the question remains smile.gif
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didnt make that building, but its very clear that its mirrored at the back on everything, ie the building was unwrapped from the side with only half the front and back textured and then mirrored. Texture sizes are 2048 for large pieces like this.

Not to be rude but this isnt really a thread where I wish to field question and answer time, I'm really just hoping to advertise that there are positions available for artists who can texture or can model or can do some animating or techy wizardry, we have a few positions open in the art dept and typically we take a very long time to fill them.

r.
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My portfolio content is just about complete. It will all be done tonight and my portfolio and resume will be online tomorrow afternoon. I am planning on sending an e-mail to epic tomorrow with my resume and a link to my portfolio website.

Also, I am going to be at the IGDA meeting at the School of Communication Arts tomorrow evening. I am hoping to get a chance to meet with some representatives from Epic. I know Micheal Capps will be there, I was wondering if you or any others on the art team will be there?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I beleive Alan Willard will be there, he's our international man of non mystery ... and more to the point he's always the guy to count on to be able to answer questions about the tech.

You might be better served by passing your resume and portfolio on to me first, then I will send it on to the Leads and HR.

kevin.johnstone@epicgames.net

r.
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply. You can expect an e-mail from me around noon tomorrow with my resume and portfolio.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd apply but doubt my chances would be high - especially with a lack of a degree and me being a Canadian citizen.

That is, of course, if Epic sponsors Visas.
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sent my resume and link to my portfolio on Wednesday, but I just got a returned mail error today. I'm going to go ahead and try it again but incase the e-mail doesn't come through again my portfolio can be found at www.sagaoflouvado.com. You can access my resume there as well.

I will be updating my portfolio over the course of the weekend as I finish up my the rest of the work for my demo reel.

I attached my resume in .pdf format. Is it possible the e-mail might have been filtered out because of the attachment? Would it be better to send a plain text resume?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its possible that there was some downtime when you emailed.

i checked your link, the 3d section just has text, no links?

r.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Rorshach: His site works for me - bunch of images there, all linked to higher-res renders - and very nice they are, too!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using ie, what are you using? I still dont see anything

r.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ror: I've figured it out - the link has a full stop after the .com - try going to http://www.sagaoflouvado.com/3d.html

I've checked that in both IE and Firefox, all images load and link properly for me...

I guess Firefox automatically fixes that, or something? Might be the problem.
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any luck accessing the images? I tested it with IE while I was putting it together. I've also brought it up in Firefox and Safari at school this morning. I'm not sure what the problem could be.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey Kevin

tis is odd,one one of my Pc's I have the same problem as Ror,no images just the text,however your 2d section shows.

Whereas on the Second PC It all works fine and dandy.

Both use IE.

Seems odd...nice work though smile.gif

john
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just cant see them, so i did View source and copied the image links to see them!

r.
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You may have better luck now. I got rid of the table I was using which is the only thing that was different about the 3d and 2d page that might cause that problem on the 3d page. I apologize for the inconvenience, hopefully, it will work now.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    What kind of portfolio stats do environment artists need at Epic Games? By the way the demo of UT2007 and Gears of War looked awesome at the IGDA meeting on wendesday laugh.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bump!

We're still looking folks, we're especially interested in texture guys atm.

r.
  • 4G63
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4G63 polycounter lvl 18
    Epic has an awesome team with really, really talented people. Their work is top notch, plus Raleigh is a beautiful city.
    Best of luck to whoever applies!
  • JaMo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JaMo polycounter lvl 18
    hi everyone. this is my first post on this board. i usually hang out at CGTalk for feedback, news, viewing others works.

anyway for the last few months ive been working on making a demo reel to try and break into the industry. my computer is on the fritz right now but i plan on fixing it soon so i can get back to working on my reel. anyway i was wondering what kind of chance would a person with no gaming work experience have in getting a job at epic? i actually live in thomasville NC about an hour away or so from raliegh so if you guys hire entry level people i would probabaly try and apply when i get my reel completed.

here is my website for an example of my work

http://www.geocities.com/feedback3d/portfolio (if it goes down give it an hour)

thanks for your time. smile.gif
  • Jake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jake polycounter lvl 17
    Hi, I am a motion graphics animator and a Maya generalist. If you guys are still looking for motion graphics people, please check out my reel and resume: http://AloeDesign.com best, Jake