Home General Discussion

where did you get your handle from?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sundance polycounter lvl 18
i know, i know, it's been done before, but not for ages. so what's the etymology of your handle?

mine is nothing to do with the cowboy/robert redford/ the tv staion or the film festival.

my dad called me sundance once instead of 'sunshine' like he usually does, so i decided to use that, as i had been after a net handle and had been using iceman

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    jimmies...hmm...back in my ut days, i was always Poochy the nali cow, and one day, i joined a server, and the cow was blocked. Thus, i created a robot named jimmies, later, when i got into conker, i made it that jimmies is a squirrel...just an alternate name.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's not "emm-oh-pea", it's "mop".
    Long and silly story, nothing to do with cleaning utensils, any famous Metallica songs, or the hip-hop/rap group.
    It's closer to its original incarnation over on CGChat, where I am "moppius".
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Mostly because I liked ScoobyDoo since it was originally on the air (before it was "hip" again).
    And I'm a friggan retard.
    Thus, ScoobyDoofus was born.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Ghost Rider is a dude with a flaming skull who rides a motorcycle and whips you with a chain. nuff said.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    edit: Lol MoP I had no idea.

It's really just my name. I've tried to explain this before to friends out here in the US but it's hard since it isn't really very logical. In Britain often a name that has 2 syllables divided by an 'r', gets abbreviated by having the last syllable replaced with a 'z'.
    Such as 'Darren=Daz, Gary=Gaz, Barry=Baz' etc. The formula is weird. 'Terry' for instance doesn't work in the same way. It is abbreviated to 'Tel'. I have no idea why.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    In school I had a teacher that used to call me Jethro. My friends just started calling me that and it eventually turned into Jeffro.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    My name is chris holden, so it's just C. Holden. My concept was "how lame can I make this handle?" and cholden came out of it. If these new boards showed up a few months earlier, I would have gone with "choad". It's not near as cool as my cgtalk nickname, GraduisCancer.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nobody used to call you Dee-Ay-Zee when you had the first and last letter capitalised on the old forums, did they Daz? I've heard too many people say "Oh, you're M-O-P, right?".
    Perhaps I should switch to all lower case, avoid the confusion...
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    When playing football (american-style) in high scool, I was known as a vicious hitter that couldn't be stopped, like a Rhino. My name is Ryan, so somewhere along the line it got the bastardized spelling of Ryno.

In college, the nickname was independently resurrected by a bunch of my martial arts budies, who thought that I sparred and fought pretty much as I had played football. 230 pounds of aggression coming straight at you! "Ryno" once again foot the bill, and I've used it or an extended derivative, "RynoGreene" for gameplaying, messageboards, etc. ever since.
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    Tool song (Hooker with a Penis). I liked the name and what it meant, so I just stole it.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Friend used to call me jer-man (real name jerry) and I've always used 'slayer'...

before that i used just 'slayer' or during quake1 games i used 'megaforce'...for the longest time in BF1942 i went by Alien_Anal_Probe...now i just use JerryP

Was rather intereting when i joined a game with another JerryP...lol
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    As explained in the real name thread - its just 'Thom' with N from Nicholas to scandanvian'-ize' it. This is because I wanted it more like my Surname.

Edit: Its just 'Tom' not 'th-nom' or 'f-nom' (due to its origin- think of it like a silent N just like Gnome is the only word with a silent G smile.gif )
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Greek Mythology. Elysium was a section of the Underworld, Hades. The Elysian fields were the final resting place of the souls of the heroic virtuous. See also: The grassy scene at the end of Gladiator. I like the idea of having your own personal paradise, and attempting to make it a reality. Only after fulfilling your purpose can you reach it. A place where you can be at peace. Much more motivating than the heaven and hell story, or being saved. Plus two letters from my old name to personalize it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hm rooster has been my nick for 10 years or so, but its origin is quite mundane and pointless so I will opt for keeping it secret in an attempt to make it seem more interesting tongue.gif

and as for my sloth avatar.. well I just relate to those guys and their expressions are brilliant.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    needed a name to play Q2DM with. was using Reaper but there are 346593 trillion Reapers out there. i was listening to a new cd by this new band, Orgy - Candyass, was like nothing id heard before and i loved it, was inspired by them and wanted to take my name from something on the cd, so i looked at the track name and mis-read the first title of the track, there are no spaces between track names. so "socialenemies" was read as SocialNemesis. then when i went on #model_design my name was too long so i shortened it to SocialNem, then SNemesis and then everyone started to call me snemmy for short and here i am.
  • Paolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paolo polycounter lvl 18
    no handle here
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    back when i had aol in the early 90's you could create screen names and delete them as you wished. went throught several... TheBear13 TheLion13 reason for bear and lion is my older brother and his friends kept calling dogs Bears and cats Lions, who knows why. well once i started messing with 3d stuff i kept the same pattern with keeping "the" as the first part of the word. "The3D" tried alot of things but AOL wouldn't accept them for some reason or another. Guy just popped in my mind. Maybe i was thinking of Guy Smiley from sesame street? but the name has stuck.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    back when i was into graphic design (about four years ago) i went by the nickname 'cuda', which refers to the car I've been restoring over the years. in order to cut ties with people in that group (had a bit of a falling out) i dropped that nickname.
    everyone refers to me by my last name, Flaagan, instead of my first name, James, so I just picked that up for here and elsewhere. (so dont piss me off, cause I dont want to have to change my name tongue.gif)
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    magic the gathering : /
    i played it some years ago frequently and used it one time in my aim handle and it stuck so its my internet alias now : /
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I'm the only male cousin in my extended family (Patel's) who's mom is from pakistan, so, my cousin's called me pak-rat (a play on hood-rat I guess, we were all way into hip-hop growing up)

I always thought it was a cool nick name.

-R
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    norse mythology
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Mine is an old corny name used for gaming, it stuck, but I think I will be changing out of it because it doesn't really portray my personality. Would anyone like to work with someone who's personality reflected Rage Unleashed? Probably not haha
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    back home, I was the best at MarioKart 64. I would often backstab the people I had temporary alliances with in the game just so I could win. In most competitive activities, I can do some pretty lowball stuff. Anyways, my friends would call me a 'skank' or a 'skanker'. Basically, 'he who is a skank'. (it was not chosen because of the dance or ska music)

So that stuck. Then I tried to get an email address at some place with the name 'skanker'. It was taken, so they suggested 'skanker02' etc. I said, screw that, I want to be first. So I chose 0.

so it turned into 'skankerzero', and it stuck.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Very first long-lost memory I researched when I got the internets back in '99.

sectaurs.jpg
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    A map from a videogame.. Snowfly Forest in Vagrant Story. Most annoying game level i've ever had to navigate but damn the soundtrack was catchy.
  • Seyiji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyiji polycounter lvl 19
    Mine is a total bastardization of the name "Shinji Ikari" from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
    I really liked StaticX's "WisconsinDeathTrip" so I started using WisconsinDeathTrip as my username all over. But from playing games online/message boards people thought I was from Wisconsin so other people from WI would ask where I lived in WI or other people would call me a farmer. So I dropped the "Wisconsin" part.

348816-resized200.JPG
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really liked StaticX's "WisconsinDeathTrip"

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think of that. I got my AIM and email GrindonitX from "I am".
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    I've played soccer for years, since the comics all have characters like superman, batman, I went with soccerman. And of course I had to add a number to it cause some moron already took it, so I went with 18 which was my jersey number. Thought about changing it a while back, but I figure everyone already knows me by that, plus I have no clue what to change it to.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    my cat got the name from John Wayne and I got the name from my cat
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Mosquito, from the ww2 fighter bomber> which became mozzie/mossie> then just moz.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    When I was in high school it was the usual lame fare, but when it came time to create an online persona and delve into the graphics world, I put some thought into the mechanics behind it. I knew it would be the only name many people would know me by, and that I wanted a very memorable one. I saw a million cutesy or clever names that were engineered to be easy to remember. So many that it was no longer easy to remember because they were all cutesy and clevar. I knew something with shock value would stick out. Poopinmymouth is a leftover phrase from high school which came to mean, embarrass someone in front of a ton of people. I also like that it's very immature, and I think that gives a good idea of what I'm like in real life.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Ghostrider: Believe it or not, I once owned Ghostrider #1. I think I had the first couple of them actually.

Poopinmymouth: Believe it or not, I recorded a punk band a few years back called Weamal Deamal, who had a song with your name.

My handle, came when Q1 came out, and I needed a name for playing DM. I was in a band who had a song called "Irritant" that I really liked, and thought it was fitting for my style of play.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    It's a character in a Gwar song of the same name. It's got great lines such as:

Then I tried to drink myself to death
    40 years went by, and drunken I was left
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    I was 3D Guy's date to Harl and Tins' wedding. I was refered to as a "polycount groupie". When it came time to join the board, I wanted something more universal that I could use on all boards. Plus nerds are KEWL. *swoon*
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I GOT MY HANDLE OFF A PAN, HAHAHA I'M SO FUNNY!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    "Astro Zombies" is one of my favorite Misfits' songs and The Misfits are one of my favorite bands.
  • Creamy_Goodness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creamy_Goodness polycounter lvl 18
    > When I first started playing Quake2 deathmatch, I wanted to pick a cutesy type name, because such a name would be uncommon and humorously out of place in a deathmatch arena, and also because people tend to think you're less of a challenge with such a name, or at least that's what I thought at the time. I suppose it's also because cute things just appeal to me, or something like that. The two names that stuck out were Pink FuzzyBunny and Creamy Goodness. I ended up choosing Creamy Goodness between the two, because that was the name of a South Park character, and I wanted to express my love for the show.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    <-- it's usually the goal in video games.
    i got it from my friend weston's email address, that which was inspired by my aol screen name.. but i stole it.
  • Negadeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Negadeth polycounter lvl 18
    It's the name of my all-time favourite band with a different first letter!

It's pretty unique too, I haven't seen anyone else who uses it. Much better than my old name Soul Reaper.
  • Ribking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ribking polycounter lvl 18
    1991 - University of the Arts - Philly
    Fashion was alot different back then....I had many, many large turtleneck kinda-sweatshirts. They all had these kinda-ridges. A good friend of mine said I looked like a condom and told everyone that I was ribbed....for her pleasure. Since it seems that I was the only one who wore turtlenecky-ribbed-sweatshirts, I was called the Ribking.

Has nothing to do with meat. But I do serve it up well on the grill.
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    @Astro - ha, i knew it. grin.gif
    @Nega - Soul Reaper is so much better and well known. Changeitback, please. ooo.gif

Flachdrache is the (funny) german translation of LowDragon.
    There are no hills in north germany so the land is pretty "low/flach". laugh.gif
    LowDragon started as T.L.D.(Tiamath Low Dragon) Highscore nick for videogames
    and i closed my posts with LD untill someone told me that LD also means "LevelDesigner"
    which was to generic for posting my stuff (and disturbing). confused.gif

To make a long story short - iam into material arts and a very angry man. mad.gifwink.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    My name is Adam Bromell. I wanted a NEW name (since joining Polycount I've had 2 other names - 'milk' and 'joi') and wanted something not-so-far from my real name.

I use "brome" when gaming or talking in mIRC so AdamBrome seemed fitting.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Cochey is my first name and i have a "t" and an "l" in my middle and last name, hence the name "Cochtl"

My face is going to melt off.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I used to originally be tank275, about 10 years ago, when I first went online with an independent internet provider, which was rare then, I eventually stumbled onto polycount from a link of the Q2 mapper Renegade and then I took like 8 months to finally settle on frosty, sheesh talk about girls taking a long time to make up their minds. My other choices I had was like considering Orion or Hunter, Hunter of course is used by our PC beloved Policeman Hunter. Drama Queen would prolly worked for me too.

Frosty is thus born out of a distance relative's name and not wanting to associate much with my Gestapo Mum, I did not incorporate her Maiden name and not my current since I don't think my Da is my REAL Father. So I ended up frosty.

Hi Soccerman18!
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    My parents gave me it wink.gif

The art handle BurntKona (when I release stuff once in a blue moon): I ride a '97 Kona Lavadome.

Kona is also connected with coffee, so my PC cottage is the coffee house. I love the smell of coffee.... hmm, roasted beans smile.gif
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Very long and weird story, so I spare you to details. Regardless this is the same handle I use on Usenet and the Raymond E. Feist mailing list. Not a wise choice to use here I could have used others. But in the most part it has to do with StarTrek and no I’m not a Trek fan. It’s a sort of ridicule.

Speaking of handle’s or “nicknames” and Ben mentioning of high school days. My nickname back then was “beef” dating back to first grade. When I was a senior in High school I had an actual freshmen thought that was the name my parents gave me. I just laughed at him and walked away leaving him to his confusion. laugh.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I sat in German class. writting tons of possible quake names I could use. Swampbug was the one I put a star next to.

The reason why I think i chose the name subconsciously is..

Quake 1 was the first game I was amazed by the water and I loved to swim around in it. Often times the water had an ambient Swamp sound with bugs and frogs making a racket.

So swampbug has exsisted in some way since the first time I saw water in quake1.

smile.gif
  • Dio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dio polycounter lvl 18
    Short for Dionysus the greek god of wine, used by Niechie to describe the free form uninhibited expression side of art in "The Birth of Tragedy". Its proved to be a pain when I use team speak in mmorpg's and realized most of my guild thought the pronunciation is like Neo with a d, as if my name was inspired by an over rated French-Canadian vocalist.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    The Watchmen and then I considered that the magic of a Rorschach was that it was a creation that was something
    different to whomever looked upon it and I thought thats very much how a piece of art is so I began making what I
    considered a new type of artstyle that combined Rorschach like images with Celtic banding tattoo styles.

I dropped the C from the spelling in the hopes of making the name identifiable only to me.
    When I began skinning and realised that most gameart is based upon mirrored imagery I knew it was the perfect name
    for me and that's why I haven't ditched it, its my art name now I think.

r.