Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

MoH: Source

summit
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
summit polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys,

I'm one of the Managing Directors for a new Source-based mod, aptly named MoH: Source. Our team is currently composed of MoH addicts who enjoy the gameplay of the current MoH series, and would like to improve the graphics and physics, whilst adding new content and doing the series proud.

We're currently in our infancy, and are on the lookout for anyone who would like to join - we see this project as one with great potential, and a community that's dying for an improvement.

We intend to keep the good aspects of MoH, and improve it along the way. We are however in need of numbers.

http://mohsource.outervoid.net/

Feel free to check out our site and forums. We are in dire need of more modelers/coders/animators, and anyone else with experience modding.

Cheers

-summit

Replies

• sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    oh, no, not another game-reinvented-as-source-that-will-get-foxed mod...
  • summit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fact we are using Source doesn't automatically place it with any other mod. It will be redone regardless of how it is perceived here. It shouldn't be seen as "one-of-those-mods"; anyone who has played MoH enough will realize what an improvement this will make.
  • JonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonT polycounter lvl 18
    No, it's the fact that Medal of Honor and MoH etc are all registered trademarks of EA Games and DICE meaning that you will get driven into the ground until you change your name to remove any supposed affiliation with Medal of Honor and stop promoting yourself as MoH on Steam...

.. then your mod will have a chance of success.
  • summit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, MOH: Allied Assault is copyrighted, but it's a little hard for EA to get their hands on something as widely used as 'Medal of Honour', especially when it's neither something they've made or control.

I wouldn't also be so quick to flame, especially when it was over something as trivial as a name ; )
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Not only that but it shows how unoriginal in naming a simple WW2-themed mod you are. Medal of Honor is a video game trademark (if you aren't blind enough to see the small TM or (R) by the corner of the logo.) and fighting with a gimme-money giant like EA is not worth the risk to take.

Besides, why not wait for DoD: Source?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    something as trivial as a name can get your mod shut down. it's best to just come up with an original name instead of nitpicking over copyrighted names.

we here at Polycount have over seven years experience in seeing stuff like this and so far you've followed the script nicely. wink.gif

new person: Hello im making a <name of game> mod for <rival game engine>. will you help?

polycounter: you shouldn't <call your game that/use their material>. you should come up with something original.

new person: quit flaming/we're not going to get shut down/other excuse of someone who hasn't experience the way this stuff works yet/either help or shut up/other flames.

it really would be best for your mod to come up with a totally orignal name. does your have to be named Medal of Honour? no. will it be exactly the same with a differnt name? yes. although have a different name might inspire you to drift away from the original and create something even better. you can still say "inspired by" or "based on" the medal of Honour games. it just saves a bit of a hastle if you have something original.

unless you have written the makers of the Medal of Honour series and have their permission to make a MoH mod? some companies will allow that, such as Capcom, others don't, (Marvel, Fox, ect...)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    You'd be surprised at the obviousness of some things the USPTO permits (Amazon one click shopping, anyone?). Also, Medal of Honour in a videogame context (note: context is important for trademarks, somebody else could offer a "Medal of Honour" telephone service and EA couldn't do anything) is trademarked by EA and they could rightfully accuse you of deceiving customers into believing your mod is an official EA Games product.

Asherr: What do you think are the chances of getting an okay from EA?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    why not call it 'purple heart: tales of WW2' or 'medal of valour' or make it all british and call it 'distinguished service medal'?
  • summit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Admittedly there has been much controversy over the name. The project is called MoH: Source, however the name is subject to change. We will be rethinking ways of naming it, if the need does arise.

Appreciate the concern, but it had been thought of. I never expected to be able to get away with that, however for the project it will be fine.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    Who cares.... how big are the chances this mod is actually gonna see the light of day? Slim.
  • summit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again, those kind of questions don't concern you, especially in a post like this. The thread is for people seeking work - if you want to debate the likelihood this mod will be a success, join our forums and whinge there.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    summit: I know they can be a tough crowd in here but the initial intent wasn't to flame so much as give you a reality check.

You say you've thought about it. That's great. But you need to consider it some more. As a long term EA employee, I can assure you that that name isn't going to work out well for the success of your mod.

I must stress that that is in no way shape or form a threat. I'm not going to show this to anyone. But I know how the company acts and what their policies are regarding their ips, and once they're aware of this, trust me, it aint gonna fly. The WW2 fps is a hotly contended space. They don't mess about with this stuff.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I always love how obvious it is which mods will go somewhere when the "founder" and his team members (most likely a webmaster and PR dude) start crapping on people's message boards.

Instead of making your own WW2 ripoff mod, join some of the WW2 ripoff mods for source already in production.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Well said Daz. Moz gets bonuspoints because it's his birthday.

Why even use the name Medal of Honor? The only reason I can see is that you want to hog some of the sweet, sweet EA glory.

"MoH addicts who enjoy the gameplay of the current MoH series"
    And you still feel that the name is absolutly vital? Focus on the gameplay and drop the name.
  • summit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Admittedly there has been much controversy over the name. The project is called MoH: Source, however the name is subject to change. We will be rethinking ways of naming it, if the need does arise...

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange but I remember saying that smile.gif

I never intended to get away with using MoH, fair enough it would be nice, but I doubted it. I have been defensive, but haven't flamed back, and have appreciated the advice/feedback - we have received a lot of support over the project thus far (many other places).

Our primary focus will be on the gameplay - though I don't see DoD undergoing (despite the same people making it) a name change. We choose to do the same thing, and if you cannot understand why, that's cool, I'm not asking you to. Those who get it have expressed that.

Anyways thanks Daz for your response, I have heard interesting things about how EA work, anything specific you can tell me that may come in handy?

Cheers