Home General Discussion

The collapse of the Industry

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1784975,00.asp

Interesting article. While I don't particularly agree, I found it an interesting read anyway, and food for good discussion here on polycount.

Replies

• sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The categories are shooters, puzzles and mazes, adventure games, sports games, and simulations. That's it. Most of today's hottest games are combinations of two or three of these categories, with a storyline added to keep the players from being bored stiff. When my kids show me a game, I usually say that it's nothing but the same old running-jumping-kicking-shooting with a new background. They leave in a huff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy's a wanker. If the same logic were applied to Hollywood, movies would have been over decades ago. People like playing games like prize fighters like winning fights.

[ QUOTE ]
    None of this will save a doomed industry. The business is going to attempt to sustain growth and creativity by making game players buy newer and newer machines. Computer gaming has always been sustained by never-ending improvements in resolution and realism. But once we get to photorealism, what is going to sustain growth?

[/ QUOTE ]

Holograms. Duh.
  • Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    That article is written by John C. Dvorak. That guy is a real technical comedian. laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Posted this in the chatroom recently. I agree with him.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    what is going to sustain growth?

[/ QUOTE ]

Smell-o-vision, of course.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If that doesn't flatten the market, the never-ending need to satisfy the demanding full-time game-player should do it. Some of today's games are ridiculously hard to play—unless gaming is your so-called life—and so daunting to casual players that they will quickly reject them. Who needs to devote themselves to a game just to play it once in a while? I'll take Spider Solitaire instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow this guy got under my skin smile.gif "So-called life"? I'd call active and interactive entertainment a far cry from planting the ass on the couch and pounding a six-pack while watching Survivor. His kids should kick his ass.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think games not ever re-inventing the wheel is the worst thing in the world, and certainly not going to bring it's downfall. Things that always keep me interested in new games are aesthetics, stories, etc. Now of course if something came along that was the next big thing like first person shooters then I would be excited. Another point would be to take a hard look at the movie industry, there isn't anything new or revolutionary there and it stays strong as well.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. I dont understand what peoples obsession with "newness" is. What story is ever truely NEW? What movie(characters, conflict, love, loss)? Game? Sport (throwing/dribbling/running/hitting with some shape/size of ball)? Anything?

Christ. Get real. Grow up. If YOU are bored, don't cry the sky is falling just because you've ceased to enjoy something. Many of the rest of us still enjoy things long after they are "old school".

"OMG that story is just a combination of english words that have been used billions of times before! OLD! Boring!"
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    The determined stifling of creativity, is currently, what is killing the industry. Independants are scared to go out on a limb... the Corporates are cracking the whip to the tune of a cheap dollar. With a big yellow smiley face. Be happy. Enjoy. Destroy.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Its not the use, its the intent. Human kind is always redefining itself. So yes certain methods have been used before. THey still can be fresh based on how they are used. Hollywood is still evolving. Do you remember the bullet time of matrix? We are a much younger industry, and we are talking about how we are already doomed to have "discovered it all". BS.

To simply say everything has been done before is a cope out.

As per the article, I agree to an extent but would point to the industry not "growing up" with its expanded age audience. Kids dont have alot of $50. to spend repeatedly. Adults do, but adults have seen many of the same ideas before.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    I totally agree with this. Is anyone here working at a company making a game that would be considered a new genre? Anything really groundbreaking in terms of gameplay? Most of the things that are being done are all visual, and less attention being payed towards creating unique gameplay experiences that people can enjoy. Normal maps and HDR effects are nice, but that doesn't make a good game.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most people don't know how bad something sucks until after they've bought/watched it. It can be the hype this weekend, and dead in two months. Either way, the industries get your money. Each small step is marketed as the next revolution to slowly drain you. That's how it became an industry. I probably won't buy the next systems unless I can hook a small headset to the back and leave the joystick behind. Joysticks are so 80's. But no, let's add another joystick. Hell, let's have four!!!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's been happening for ages, kids grow up and realize everything's been done before. The industry is going to make what is popular, remember the good ol days? Don't you think it's funny how pretty much every single game was a platformer?

I think John was just being lazy and had to meet a deadline so he fell back on the old standby, pick a subject and then complain about the lack of innovation etc...

"am I the only one upset about the lack of new colors today? Artist are content to just mix 2 or three colors together and leave it at that, where are the innovators?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Well, pretty much everything that I love in life has been done before. Sex, food, fine wine, music, art, conversation, martial arts, etc. etc. You name it, I can pretty much guarantee that it's been done before.

His logic is fundamentally flawed.

Just because something has been done before does not mean that it is not worth doing again. Put a new spin on it, and it's still good. And the games are still fun.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    One thing I am upset about is the lack of pinball games and point n' click adventure games
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    John C. Dvorak has made sex seem boring.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    John C. Dvorak has made sex seem boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

well maybe you should try a new position instead of making him do all the work.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Trust me, whatever position that you come up with, it has been done before.

I mean, we should just shoot ourselves, except for the fact that has also been done before.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't matter once he opens his mouth you be asleep befor you could pull the trigger.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap. He insulted Starship Troopers. HOW DARE HE!!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Not more of this 'The end is nigh' stuff.. . .

r.
  • Dio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dio polycounter lvl 18
    Ill say that the next 5 years will probably see a culling of the herd in the industry but Dvorak's pessimistic "Doom4" attitude is unwarranted. The movie industry parellel mentioned above is good. Just because its been done before doesnt mean its not worth doing again if only to develop the skills that might one day discover a new way of approaching it. If theather had gotten old to the ancient Greeks and they had abandoned it where would we be today? Ive seen and read Dvorak before, true to form here he betrays his total lack of imagination. You may not see whats coming over the horizon but if you want to you'll have to keep walking your path one step at a time. That said if the glass really is half empty its interesting to note that before great falls great societies tend to get restless with boredom from the same old parlor tricks. The colluseum wasnt as bloody in the beginning, at least not gorey as it got towards the end. I cant wait to watch a Survivor where the two tribes dont do silly games to compete but rather fashion crude weapons then hunt and slaughter one another in the jungle.

p.s.
    He neglected to mention a new genre that has earnest room to grow, MMORPG's.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    We'll all be rooned!

...ah, probably something that only a few of the Australians will get. I think rather than looking at this all this talk of impending doom, we should look upon the forced change as our very own little renaissance.

The movement needs to begin somewhere and I say where better than here. Instead of just going over the same wailing and gnashing of teeth again and again, why don't we put our heads together and work out exactly how we're going to spark this revloution.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    To be honest, I really only posted this because I'm tired of the topics in general discussion lately. I'll try to figure out a better one that I actually agree with and that we haven't gone over to death, tomorrow.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about how AI and your ability to interact the the game world haven't kept up grapical advancements with and are actually worse than some older games?
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I like Lucas's vision for the future which is embodied in his new San Francisco complex where ILM, Lucasarts, Lucasfilm and Soundwalker sound all work together in the same complex and can share all content accross the studios.
    ILM can use game engines and assets for pre-visualisation, Lucasarts can re-use ILM's digital assets etc.

Cool article about this in this months's wired.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.05/presidio.html
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    I disagree with Dvorak also. It looks like he hasn't found an engaging gaming experience in a while. That dosen't mean the industry is collapsing.

He needs to look at human history of recyling shakespear, remaking brilliant original movies, and songs to see that this has always been the case. Yes there have been brilliant innovations in art like the implemention of perspective. I'm sure when artists began to use this new "trick" to make their paintings more lifelike and engaging there was a Dvorak there to wail about the collapse of painting.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    To be honest, I really only posted this because I'm tired of the topics in general discussion lately. I'll try to figure out a better one that I actually agree with and that we haven't gone over to death, tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why bother with trife like this:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=40526&an=0&page=0#40526

And thanks for the link, good read.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just read some "leaked" info about the Nintendo. If it's true, I will buy the Revolution without any thought towards the other two toys...and that's final. Yes, they've got me. I am ashamed. blush.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    If that "leaked" info was from Brokensaints it was still just speculation presented as facts but it sums up the existing rumors very well (gyro controls, pressure sensitivity, etc). You'd probably get more reliable information by having a private talk with some polycounters.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Brooke "leaked" some info about the Revolution?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, someone did under his name. He denied ever posting any of that (besides, it was some idiotic "The revolution will be 3d displays!" stuff not even a GameFAQs member would believe).
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    (besides, it was some idiotic "The revolution will be 3d displays!"

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not what I read. let's see if I can find it again.
    edit: http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_messages.php?board=314159282&topic=20676049&page=0
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was in the same thread. A Brooke imitator was claiming Nintendo would use 3D displays (which I was referring to in that post), then this guy popped up.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    choo-choo-doo, choo-choo-doo, katamari da-ma-sheeeeeeeee-ee-eeee is what i say to mr. frumpy pants who wrote the article in question. if it doesnt speak to you anymore, might be time to find a new hobby, 'cause games still make me feel like a kid smile.gif

edit: sure the industry has problems and there's a lot of retreading old ground. but come on. kind of like the "if it's too loud, then you're too old" axiom for music, excuse me if all i can picture is grampa swinging his cane when i read that article.
    we're a very young industry--by about the 20 year mark the film industry hadn't even begun to produce some of the greatest films ever, but they had a pretty good handle on the basic genres we still have today. where's all the clamoring for new genres of film? are games all worn out and unoriginal just because we're not inventing new forms left and right?
    NO!
    since games are still young its easy to look at the lack of 'new' kinds of games and think that's a problem. but in the early days it was kind of hard not to swing your elbow without creating a new videogame genre. hey maybe instead of space invaders i'll do a football game. WOW LOOK, SPORTS GAMES. we've got them all sorted out now for the most part, but we're finally starting to invest the forms we've got with some real life.

i can understand that from his vantage point (behind bifocals and in a rocking chair) that a lot of games must look like the same old thing with a slightly different coat of paint. a lot of them are, in fact. but all the time we're moving forward, refining our craft. the emphasis may be on visuals, but even some of the most re-treading sequels these days still manage to hone gameplay further. it might look like the collapse of the industry to grandpa, but then i guess people that close to death tend to have a fairly pessimistic outlook on things generally laugh.gif

ok, now all the ad hominem 'lol he is old' jokes are out of my system... really. why anyone pays attention this guy at all is anyone's guess.

bonus points to him, by the way, for completely misinterpreting the film adaptation of Starship Troopers. i didn't like it (as it had nothing to do with the seminal science fiction novel of the same name), but if he couldn't tell that Verhoven had his tongue planted firmly in cheek the whole time... sorry, guy.
  • Frankie V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie V polycounter lvl 18
    New consumers are born every day. This is the typical delusion of an individual that figures that the universe revolves around them. It’s the typical “I’ve seen this before so then everyone else must have seen it”. Sure the same old stuff goes around and around with a few innovations from time to time but even the innovative becomes common place.

Sure there are changes on the horizon but most of those changes stem from technological advancements with game developers taking advantage. More and more main stream players are coming on-line as indicated by the fact that the gamming industry is fast out pacing “any” other form of entertainment for that matter threaten to over take “every” form combined.

This all comes from the fact that it is a lot simpler and “convenient” to get into gaming than what it use to be. At one time you needed a degree just to install the game. Now you have things like the PSP,DS consoles that are taking on the roll of an appliance that has the similar sell ability and as common place as the telephone.

Sure ten years from now your kids might be playing Quake 10 or UT2015, but so will tens and thousands of others that might be experiencing the first person shooter for the first time.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    If you've ever been coached by a professional PR consultant prior to doing interviews with "the media", you learn that it's just as important for the interviewee to know as much about the interviewer as it is for the interviewer to know whom he or she is talkig to and what they are about. You need to know what kind of questions are likely to be asked, and what kind of spin is going to be put on your answers.

John Dvorak makes his living writing short op-ed pieces that are designed to generate controversy (and sell magazines). 21 years ago, Dvorak was writing irritating columns about the Macintosh for MacWorld magazine (both the Mac and MacWorld were all shiny and new back then). It sounds like he hasn't changed much. If he were to show up in a gaming forum and make those comments, we'd label him "a troll."

The author of the Biblical book of expressed much the same view of things 2500 years ago That which has been is that which will be, and that which has been done is that which will be done. So, there is nothing new under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 1:9). Dvorak is just paraphrasing someone else's thoughts in the matter. wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And Bertold Brecht just said "Everything has been done anyway" and copied from various other writers...
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    geez, this THREAD has been done before! Ive read some info regarding nintendos next system, if they can pull it off then the industry will blow up even larger than it is.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well if nintendo doesn't save it, this will surely be the end

http://www.the50centgame.com/us/
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    What an old fart. Someone should go over there and slap some sence into him with his own cane.;)
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Articles like this really make me laugh. Does Dvorak think that no new people are being born? Of course kid's grow up, and many get bored with games because "they've all been done before". But to ignore the millions that are "coming of age" and discovering games for the first time is just plain stupid. Does he think that 12 year old Johnny isn't going to play Doom 3 because it's not much different than the original, which he had never seen before?

Dvorak really seems to only see things from his perspective.

I'll add this as well - just because something has been done before doesn't mean it's a bad game. The whole idea of remaking an idea is basically to refine it, do it better, bring it into the modern graphic world.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Articles like this really make me laugh. Does Dvorak think that no new people are being born? Of course kid's grow up, and many get bored with games because "they've all been done before". But to ignore the millions that are "coming of age" and discovering games for the first time is just plain stupid. Does he think that 12 year old Johnny isn't going to play Doom 3 because it's not much different than the original, which he had never seen before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Games are for 12 year olds? Last time I checked the average age of gamers was late twenties and getting older. Comic books had the same stigma -'just for kids' Fuck Johnny. System of a down? heard it before, 20 years ago, they called it Anthrax.

[ QUOTE ]

I'll add this as well - just because something has been done before doesn't mean it's a bad game. The whole idea of remaking an idea is basically to refine it, do it better, bring it into the modern graphic world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the same game with a higher polycount? -Fuck you. <u>This</u> is why games suck.

Remember when you coundn't wait to get home and load that new game up?
    Now it's -what level of disapointment should I brace myself for?
    The industry is not collapsing, but it needs a good kick in the arse.

EDIT- wait no. not a kick in the ass -it needs it's head lopped off!!! smile.gif
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    The fact is, everyday, somebody plays a game who has not played one before. The average age of gamers is getting older because video games, in the modern sense, haven't been around all that long. Eventually it will plateau.

There will always be a market for remakes of games. Just look at movies. Half of the movies people think are original are remakes.