Home General Discussion

Kung fu Hustle (best movie i have seen in YEARS

Mojo2k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
just got back from watching it with a group of co workers it was awesom, completely awesome everyone agreed. each scene tops the last. the comedy is funny not stupid

i loved shaolin soccer, but this movie was easily 10 x as good as it.. its a must see

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    My brother and I are going to go see it in about an hour and a half.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I was also very impressed with this flick. VERY funny, VERY well done. I loved it. Probably will see it again soon.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it last month (Hong Kong DVD import) Very funny. I just wonder if they did bad voice overs, and censorship (alot of decapitation of body parts) in the american version....
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Greatttt movie. Funny yes, but I don't think the comedy beats Shaolin Soccer. The action is insane.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Really? Damn. I didn't think it looked all that funny from the previews but the fight sequences did look entertaining. I just might have to check it out when it comes out on DVD.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm extremely dissapointed that more of you guys did not hit this on opening night, i know if you did you would be quick to come here and post on how awesome it is. i ordered my dvd of it last night, and probably going to see it in theater again today sometime.

Hollowmind i was a bit worried about this movie, cause while in the past i have liked chows work.. his comedy was not made for people outside of china to understand, he seems to have made the comedy in this one more acceptable to mainstream.. but still completely insanely funny. when me and co workers were talking afterwards we agreed that while almost all of the comedy was completely stupid /retarded/moronic. it was allso extremely funny. unlike a lot of movies that are just stupid/retarded/moronic

this movie will go down in history i believe. or at leasst become a major major cult classic. the only thing i am worried about are the rummors that mirramax is bringing chow over to america to write direct star in a mirramax funded ammerican movie..
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    is it dubbed or subtitled? I might convince the wifey to go if it's subtitled.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    subtitled and not censored from the looks of it.

I'm going to go tomorrow, even though I've seen it countless times already. Gotta support!
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    subtitled and awesome just went and saw it for the 2nd time, still awesome
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I need to learn that palm move bad and then be a tagger and tag the streets of Fairfax as "Master Hand" or "Power Palm" or the "Menacing Five". Something cool and mysterious. I'll also fly to Japan and use my skill to make Godzilla tracks to scare the locals. HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!!!!!11
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    or at least become a major major cult classic

[/ QUOTE ]
    To me, that's a given for this movie. It's too good to fall into obscurity, but not good enough to go down into movie history.

Anyway, I saw it today, and I loved it. The fight scenes were really well done, and great to watch. The Humor was pretty good as well. Though the Shining spoof was a bit iffy though. I was happy to see it was subtitled though, because I have taken notice that the general public don't like to read their ways through movies, so the theaters a genereally less crowded for a movie like this.

The movie really put me in the mood to play some Jade Empire(good game by the way). Just because of the whole kung fu thing I suppose.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm catching this movie as soon as I can! Worse case scenario, I'll go to the theater alone.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Just got back - dug it.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    it did badly over the weekend box office,sahara grossed more than it did,but it proves what mindless retards the american movie going public is.

i saw it and loved it,the comedy was good,the action was great and the special effects were good too, i love movies as well which poke fun at genres.

but more people chose to see the interpertor (which sucked) and sahara which i heard royally sucked.

But unfortunatly its part of the problem in hollywood right now,all the creativity is being imported atm.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I have to say that yes, the Interpretter, Sucked.

Scott
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The movie really put me in the mood to play some Jade Empire(good game by the way). Just because of the whole kung fu thing I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, that's the first thing my brother's friend said as soon as we walked out of the theater laugh.gif.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I have the Cantonese DVD with English subs, and I've loved the movie. Tons of originality! One thing that REALLY stood out was the sound. The tight bass of every punch really added to the effect (40 lb subwoofer helped that out wink.gif).

Tis a shame there aren't more movies like this. I unfortunately haven't gotten the chance to see Shaolin Soccer, although I really wanted to. Is it out on DVD yet in America?
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Shaolin Soccer has been out in America for a long time now... (bought a year or more) I've seen both cantonese and american versions, both on Sat TV no less. (Cantonese channel and Movie channel)
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I saw Kung Fu Hustle and it is indeed an excellant film.
    However, I don't beleive I enjoyed it as much as Shaolin Soccer. More than God of Cookery, but I felt Shaolin Soccer was a more developed concept. Kung Fu Hustle is a well constructed film and the choreography is pretty spot on.

Personally I would like to see Stephen Chow tackle something a little more serious. Chow's humor doesn't always come across that well in america. I would like to see a movie that just a tad more epic.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I loved it. I think it was very cunning, clever and dumb which is a neat trick. The visuals were brilliant and I found myself near crying with laughter at certain scenes such as when the hero gets the knives in the shoulders.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    headley KFH was his atempt to make a movie that was friendly to viewers outside of china, and i feel he completely suceeded. i don't know of a single person who didnt think it was some of the best hummor in the universe, the only thing i think i didnt get was th comment about "coolies" at the beggining, no idea what a "coolie" is.

Shaolin was a brilliant film but theres a lot of places where you just feel "wtf" i've watched close to 30 of his movies and most of them had large chunks that you just don't get. no matter how much you love the movie.. KFH was a complete breakthru in comercilizing, without selling out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw it last night, loved it. Now I know why MoJo is so crazy for it. Honestly I was going to let this one slip to DVD before I watched it but everyone I talked to said go see it NOW you will love it. Low and behold, I did. Yes my sides hurt and my wife was crying she was laughing so much, I was close to tears but they didn't flow.

I am glad it wasn't dubbed, It think it would have lost some of its flavor if it was.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Mojo: Coolie

Yes, the movie rocks, I loved it.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Finally saw the film last night. Wow! whole lot better than "The interpreter". If I don't see it again, it will probably get heavy rotation on the DVD player. The knife gag had me crying with laughter. that was just amazing.

Scott
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't say Kung Fu Hustle wasn't great, I simply enjoyed shaolin soccer more. I think its because of the real underdog aspect of the team. I would of liked to have seen Chow's character become a martial arts master through several steps, and not just "The beast must of freed a Chi Block" and boom, kung fu god.

The things with the shoes and the lips just seems to detract for me, from an otherwise, great film. Cartoon physics seem out of place in a wuxia film.
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coolie is a derogatory term for chinese people.

Also, the cone rice hat that is very popular is referred to as a coolie.
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sumguy polycounter lvl 18
    In China the movie is just called "Kung Fu"
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "gung fu" or "gong fu" i believe
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    OK this movie rocked my fucking socks. I haven't been entertained by a movie like this in a long long time. Budhist Palm and The Beast were damn cool.

My favourite were the musical kung-fu guys. That entire sequence was orgasmic.

"Look at those fools carrying around a coffin!"
  • Paolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paolo polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw it. It rocked. @--
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stephen Chow didn't understand the meaning of the english translation of his movie, to Kung Fu Hustle, It is just called Gong Fu in China. I don't think he is particuarly happy when he heard that hustle in this case means scam. either. Judging by an interview I heard.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but kung fu hustle is an appropriate name, since the whole thing started because he was trying to scam the people of pig stye alley into thinking he was with the axe gang.
  • Robert Headley
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I thought it meant KungFu Dance. And seeing the dance number at the beginning of the movie enforced that.

But seeing it as Kung Fu Scam makes sense.