Home General Discussion

your first job

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mishra polycounter lvl 18
well recently i got my first real job. i do random things, make calls to elderly folks to make sure they understand the device thingy they bought (medical help thingy or something) or i enter data into computers or something. pretty good for a 16 year olds first job, no? what were your guys first jobs?

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Does working on my parents' farm from the time I was 7 or 8 years-old count as my "first job?" tongue.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I did catering for weddings and events at a mansion-style place near my house. Lots of standing about followed by brief and rapid runnings-around carrying lots of highly expensive and breakable things - and I never dropped anything! Which was surprising, since I tend to drop things a lot in everyday life.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    My first job was at a Chevron gas station. It sucked. I had to work the register, stock the cooler, sweep, mop, empty all of the trash bins (indoors and out), wipe the counters, fill people's propane tanks, and deal with dumbshit customers.

Since I live in Northern California (pretty far north), we'd have a lot of damn Oregonians come through who'd want me to pump their gas for them (in Oregon, they don't have "self-serve" stations). There was one customer in particular that I remember; she was an elderly women who was driving a small RV, and became quite irate because I wouldn't pump her gas. I offered to show her how to pump her own gas, but I told her she'd have to wait until I took care of the customers who were waiting in line. She started yelling insults at me, told me she'd never do business with this gas station again (as if I cared), and stormed off. I just laughed, of course.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'v been selling jewelry for my parents at fairs since i was 5, and at 6 i started to get paid to make the sales. So i have been a salesmen my whole life. I was able to get people to buy plastic spoons on a string for $1.50, its all about how you market shit!
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    landscaping, pretty much digging holes. It sucked.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    paper route.
    it sucked.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    McDonalds. I didn't want the job. Only one person I worked with spoke english, 'Jerry', and he was an crackhead veteran that lost it after his friends got blown up in lebanon. Hireberto[sic] use to take a bite out of the cheese on customers special orders as a 'joke'. I burned myself on the clam grill the first day and the person training me quit after about a half hour. When I got fired they gave my last check to Jerry, who never came back for some reason.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    First job: Dish jockey at Mt. bachelor ski resort. nastey, grimey dishes and the smell of rotting food. Then there was the vat of "chili" they served. OMG - that seriously scarred me for life working there. Got a free season pass, BUT i dont ski or snowboard.

Second Job: Same as Keyser, but i worked IN oregon and was that smuck that pumped the gas for you. Didnt mind that job actually except for the dumbshit station owners. Customers werent half-bad.

Third Job: Working in a 16-threate multiplex cleaning up after you fags. The smell of stale popcorn and flat soda mixed with cigarette butts make me barf to this day.

Fourth job: Working in the vast infranstructure that is the amazon.com wharehouse. Taking inventory and packing orders. Not too bad of an upgrade.

Fifth job: Tutoring 3dsmax/photoshop fulltime after classes at the art institute of seattle

Sixth job: 300-unit apartment groundskeeper/asst. manager

Seventh job: game tester..

wink.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Paperboy when i was 14. I loved it, I owned the world.

A year later I discovered that I was allergic to newspaper print though, and the chocolate in the mars bar I ate with a cup of coffee in the morning before doing my route.
  • Eli_Heuer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eli_Heuer polycounter lvl 18
    Worked at an arcade/family fun center. I was the guy behind the counter that you gave your tickets too in exchange for prizes. I also ran the bumper boats.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Like Ror, a paperboy at 14. Crap money. However, the papers were 'free'. Which meant that nobody was expecting them. Which was great, since I used to just dump them all in the woods. AHAHAH.
    My first 'real job' was at 16 working part time on the checkout at Tesco's supermarket. I utterly loathed that job with a passion.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    cleaner at a butcher's shop at 15.

then i was an assistant in a stationary shop at 17...

now i'm an assistant in a newsagents...

suck, suck and suck.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, good move!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    paper round, route including 5 tall blocks of flats that smelled of piss.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    McD's working the register
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Making Beef Jerky at my Aunts lil Meat processing factory (free jerky! lol) Wasen't worth the frozen hands (pulling out iced out beef brrr....)

2nd was Cart Pusher for Wal-mart (we claim no responsibilty to damage caused by our carts!)

3rd Wal-Mart Photo-Lab Technitian (lol ya right, Technitian....) (poorly managed, and truth be hold wal-mart hire's anybody)

4th Security guard armed with a Radio! and the phone number for the police... (nice job, but the graveyard shift killed it for me... funny as my partner was a Everquest Geek)

5th Pizza Delevery (very bad job, ringing up mileage on the car, and sending pizza's to cheap ass teenagers in there rich parents house who don't tip *rant*) However I did like that nice $20 tip one delevery at 2 Am.

6th Still at a dead end job working at a Liquor Store.
  • DavidCoen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCoen polycounter lvl 18
    first job. pulling up and down the (paper) targets at a rifle range (was behind cover, still have some hearing damage but interesting to get to see so many different types of firearms)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Assistant to chemist at a lead recyclying factory.
    I was in charge of waste water sampling and AAS calibration.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I worked in a safari park looking after the Lions and Tigers. I fed them at night and put them into their dens. I'd chase them in a Landrover. This is how I learned to drive.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    1st job was in a skihire shop with 14 fitting boots and skies to fat stupid tourists wink.gif

Since then, I washed dishes, still worked in the skihire, helped out in the hotel and bar of my parents, did freelance stuff, was a paramedic and now fulltime at 4head studios.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Government-sponsored job for the unemployed (usually you're forced into that, I took it voluntarily). Cleaning manholes, trash bins and public parks, helping at construction sites, planting trees, setting up fences for toads, etc. Ever since I wonder how buildings manage to hold together knowing the attitudes of most construction workers...

Well, technically speaking my first job was being a soldier for the german armed forces but since I couldn't mentally handle the training I got dismissed with mental issues after 9 days.

I've learned that with my eyes I'm not permitted to operate a chainsaw or a forklift and I'm not suited for being a rifleman or anything else that primarily involves shooting (except for artillery).
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Computer Technician when I was 16 years old. I worked for 3 hours a day building and trouble shooting all the computers the small company got in. It was nice because I got a super fun job doing computer related work at 16, and they got a knowledgable tech for minimum wage, hahaha.
    It only lasted 6 months before the company went under.

My favorate job was when I worked at some rich couples exotic animal farm for a summer. Wallabys, camels, monkeys (including one that bit me, I have a scar to prove it), zebras and more. I learned a ton about foreign animals at that job, was super fun.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Rick Stirling wins the thread.

Though, I must ask, did you ever feed the lions babies?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We also had 6 adult mountain lions on this private farm. Every day I had to toss two semi-frozen chickens into their pen. My most stressful days was when I had to mow the grass inside the cages. I made sure it was after I fed them, but still the whole time I was nervous as hell, both parties eyeing the other up and down.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first job was working for H.O. Sports making water skis & wake boards. I remember being told if certain chemicals mixed it could make a deadly odorless, colorless gas, that was a fun area to work… especially with a high turn over rate so some noob was always being trained and had to be watched. I stayed at HO for roughly 3 years (18-20)but managed to get out of the press room and into a better part of the shop where I ended up running this tiny area. That’s the blessing of high turn over you get seniority pretty freakin quick. Most of the "forced" turn over was due to imigration making its quarterly stop to hand out fines and take most of the work force.

I then landed an entry lvl job at U.A.P. doing layout and "design" which wasn't design at all. More than a few times the UAP was switched out for UAC (from doom) in tiny print on the table of contents, yeah we where rebels, ridding the razors edge =P I could tell you about the 4th of july, the truck well, and 3 gallons of film clearer… but I won’t because this post is dragging on.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I was 17 and I worked at a dry cleaners with all these hot college chicks, and I was the only guy besides the owner, We would flirt all day, and they would sexually harass me. I later got fired because on my first time closing I set the alarm wrong so the cops came.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    My most stressful days was when I had to mow the grass inside the cages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it with a gas mower? I would think that would piss them off and you would be mauled no matter what!? On the other hand maybe all that noise is what kept you safe? Did you have crazy emergency plans running through your head? Like if one of them charged, you would flip the mower over and use it fend them off?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't know if all the foreign moon people would know what a weed wacker is, but I used a gas powered weed wacker to mow it. Yes I was always ready to pick it up and weed wack their faces should they have gotten up, but in the end, I think it was the noise of the pesky machine that kept them at bay.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rick Stirling wins the thread.

Though, I must ask, did you ever feed the lions babies?

[/ QUOTE ]

As in, did I bottle feed cubs? Or do you wonder if I fed ickle babies to the Lions?

Both.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    paperboy of a sort, giving out flyers for a medical office at 14... heh
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    I did some small jobs in high school, but once I graduated, I went and worked as a claims adjuster for an auto loan service provider. I did all the paperwork for people that got their cars repossessed for not making their payments. The only real highlight was that of an account for a Mr. Fred Durst. tongue.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    mcdonalds baby! and i'll preform oral sex before going back!
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, I worked at a Hardee's for two years when I was in highschool...it blew ass. Then while in college I worked at a Ben and Jerrys and a Movie Theatre, both of which blew slightly less ass, but still rated pretty high on suckage and pretty low on compensation.

After I graduated college with my degree in painting and drawing and absolutly no idea how to market myself, I ended up working at an Experimental Pathology Laboratory Archive...which ment we stored biological left-overs from animal experiments...rats, dogs, rabbits, mice, fish, cats, monkeys, pretty much anything you can think of, all in various states of "chopped up-ness." As a joke the guys that ran the place took me out to get chinese food for lunch on my first day...this is after 4 hours of pouring chopped up beagles into fresh bags. One day when I was working in the vault (where all this stuff was stored once we refreshed the formaldehyde and replaced the containers) I found a row of dresser sized cabnets with thousands of microscope slides that had peoples names on them. Later I found out they were from autopsies.

James Ball
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    1. shopleys tree service, clearing massive trees off of property, lot of work but nice being outside
    2. grocery stockboy, aslo worked the night stock shift all night alone when store was closed
    3. assistant butcher in the grocery stores meat dept. COLD
    4. furniture delivery
    5. back to grocery store
    6. artist at a little sign shop doing mostly vunyl lettering
    7. cook at hardees, then shift leader
    8. sawmill clean up crew supervisor.
    9. contract game artist
    10 game artist at liquid dev
    11. game artist at Mythic
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    mmm, First job was at 14,
    I was building Heating Floor and climbing wall.

I did that for 3 summers.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wallabys, camels, monkeys (including one that bit me, I have a scar to prove it)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Do you turn into a were-monkey in the light of a full moon?

My first job was at a local computer shop when I was 17, hired with no computer repair experience! 2nd job computer tech at another computer place. 3rd job phone support at a cable company. Current job: 1 of 2 computer guys responsible for the upkeep of about 120 macs.... kinda like the maytag repair man, I sit around and read slashdot and polycount all day.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    My first real job was food service at Sea World "ohio". I scooped icecream for hundreds of people each day. Got really cool lookin arms near the end.

One day I was moved over to the "bakery" one day to help out. I thought it would be fun like making cakes or something, but it was alot of vegi chopping , onion shredding. Onion Shredding sucked ass. A whole barrel of onions had to go manually through this giant shredder.. I stood there tearing to no end. I even closed my eyes and did it blind for awhile. I had to go into the freezers to get the onion vapor outa my eyes.. and in the giant walkin refridgerator room I pretended there were headcrabs in there and that i was gona find and kill them. This was the summer when HL1 was due to come out soon. So i was reacting to some screenshots i had seen. I was so excited.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I didn't know if all the foreign moon people would know what a weed wacker is, but I used a gas powered weed wacker to mow it. Yes I was always ready to pick it up and weed wack their faces should they have gotten up, but in the end, I think it was the noise of the pesky machine that kept them at bay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coworkers claim it's quite a mess if you hit a pile of dogshit with one of those things (never hit one), did you hit lionshit?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Paperboy here also.

First job where I got hourly pay was detassling corn when I was 15. Fuck that sucked. In the morning the fields would be flooded and the cornstalks would be covered with dew. So you had to wear a raincoat or trashbag over your clothes to keep from getting soaked. In the afternoon the fields were dried out and it was hot as hell outside. I went through a pair of garden gloves per week working that job. After a week the holes would be too big to use them anymore.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    The day I turned 16 I began work in a local factory grinding and scraping chips off machine cut parts. Then I would dip them in acid to remove any evidence of rust. After a year or so, they company "discovered" that I wasn't 18, and shouldn't be assigned to those tasks. They placed me to supervise machinery, while my old job was now replaced with machines. After watching some co-workers get their finger tips cut off, I decided they really didn't need me there anymore. A friend got me a job at Subway, where I stole sandwiches to eat for lunch at school so I didn't have to ask my classmates for their leftovers. Soon after, the factory closed down and moved to some other country like Mexico or something.

Then a movie theatre concession cashier, grocery store stocker, cashier, the restuarant host/waiter, then back to the grocery store as a supervisor, and now cleaning for a used car lot. But one of my favorite jobs was with a haunted woods, where I chased fat women with a chainsaw.
  • Kytos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kytos polycounter lvl 18
    My first job was working at a movie theatre concession stand. I must have burned myself on that popcorn maker a dozen times or more.

Then a two month stint as a waitress at Dennys. *shudders*
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I was 15. Psuedo-slave labor at travelling kiddie-carnival company. We setup rides, ran them and broke them down at the end of a 12-15hour day. We got paid 5$/hour tax free in crumpled ones & change at the end of every night.
    I worked with all my roleplaying/video game dork buddies. I got a wicked tan that summer.

I worked the Ball-Pit (little multicolored airfilled plastic balls), which for kids 2-10 was code for "urinal" as just about 60% of kids would piss in the pit. At the end of the night I got to hose the urine of hundreds of children off the balls. Yay!

This was my favorite job ever.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Mmmm.... Popcorn. Last month I was makng popcorn and I forgot about the hot oil for about 2 minutes. I opened the pan to put in the corn and FWOOP! Singed my eyebrows and some hair, and coated my lungs with a bit o' char.

I haven't made popcorn since.. frown.gif

and welcome to the big green 3 sided cube.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    My first real job was pressure-washing an apartment complex with my dad. There were ten buildings, each three stories (with half a floor at ground level in the back), and we had to keep the nozzle about 2 to 3 inches off the floor for hours at a time. It was really slow going :P
    I loved that job.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    My first job was scraping the cheesey goo off of p00p's underpants after his mowing sessions at that farm *wink*

Accually, it was The FutureShop in Victoria, BC, I worked the warehouse. I got to work for the hottest blonde on earth, and she was such an easy lil' ho too. My next job was At Piranha Games.

-R
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Cleaning Kennels.

I.E. Wading through dogshit and hosing the kennels down with bleach while HUGE ticks crawled all over. All the while strangers dogs (including pitbulls) looking at you as you invaded their private space. I cant see how that woman stayed in business.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    Doing dishes at a "resort/theater" for the summmer. At the end of the season my fingerprints had been worn completely off by the super hot water and industrial detergents.

The worst part though was what the cooks would create for lunch. On most occasions lunch was made from leftovers which once included taking deep fried hot dogs, splitting them length wise, filling them with gooey bread stuffing, wrapping them in fatty elastic bacon, and drowned in a ladel of velveeta like cheese sauce. Once I was served a gigantic deep fried bread ball the size of a large grapefruit. Barely containing my laughter I said to the cook "what the hell is this?!", who asked "what, don't you like shrimp?". He had taken the previous days popcorn shrimp that had been leftover from a buffet line, ground it into a greasy paste and deep fried it once more for my enjoyment. I didn't see one fleck of anything that looked like shrimp meat but then again popcorn shrimp always seem microscopic in comparison to the gargantuan nuggets of breading they're encased in.

The cooks were constantly smoking pot which in retrospect explains alot about the bizzare creations they called lunch.