Home General Discussion

Chocolate sauce

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
Well, I've just discovered some rather disturbing information regarding chocolate sauce.

While many people may believe it goes very well with ice cream or other desserts, I believe that mocha sauce, or even butterscotch sauce may be a better alternative.

Neither of these sauces seem to get much mass-market recognition, yet they are infinitely more tasty and sooooo sweet and delicious.

What are your favourite desserts? Personally I'd skip main meals and just eat ice cream, cakes and various sauces instead of "real" food. However, I have to say that whipped cream is best avoided, it just adds unnecessary mass and lack-of-flavour to an otherwise fine dessert (such as apple pie).

Does chocolate sauce go well with apple pies? What are good combinations of dessert and topping?

Discuss!

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    (MoP is trying to prove John's claim, eh?)

Personally I hate chocolate in any form except straight up chocolate bars or hot (actually cold) chocolate and even there I prefer non-chocolate chocolate (i.e. white chocolate). Chocolate sauce or ice cream is an atrocity to me.

I don't eat desserts nowadays, I'm full enough after the main course. Apparently that's a general trend, my mother says all of the Kindergarten children don't want dessert anymore.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I don't eat much ice cream and am not that big of a fan.
    We here in the Netherlands eat a lot of yoghurt type deserts and a thing called "vla". Which has the same type of pourable texture and comes in a lot of different flavours and kinds.
    I never say no to a good cheese-cake though.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Ice cream on Hot apple pie. Now thats delicious
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    I've heard that this new Pope (like the last 265) detests chocolate sauce- calls it an 'unnatural abberation' and a 'sinful decadence'. I don't want to go to Hell, but I feel I was BORN to love chocolate sauce. If God didn't want me to eat it, why did he make it so tasty to me? I know a lot of people like (even crave) this dark sauce- yet the church just won't budge on the matter. Why should I let some guy in Italy with a funny hat tell me what I should or shouldn't eat in the privacy of my own home?

Furthermore, the church wants me to commit to just ONE dessert. I should just eat one, and only when I'm intending to make another (which I can't eat). I feel I should have the freedom to eat as many desserts as I see fit! Why does the church care so much about my eating habits?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone find frosting on cakes to be a little too overwhelmingly sweet?

I prefer a nice pint of http://www.haagen-dazs.com/segicd.do?productId=125 with out any bloody Chocolate sauce.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I recently verntured into using chocolate milk as my milk in cereal! It works, but the flavor requires the right cereal. Kellogg's corn Pops isn't that cereal, but if you mix them with honey nut cherrio's, the pops dominate the flavor. Anyway that's how I entertain myself in the middle of the night, or eggos!
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I don't drink milk so I use water or just skip cereal as I consider a cold breakfast cheating yourself out of a hot meal.
    You aren't supposed to eat frosting straight out of the can, smear it on something and it'll be much better.

I'm currently on a peach cobbler bender, the stuff is great and comes with its own sauce.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Thegodzero : i think the favoured phrase would be "without any pissing Chocolate sauce"

personally, i can't stand chocolate-flavoured anything. It's usually like eating an overbearing opinion - all chemically, rich and sets your teeth on edge. Yuk.

then again, i grew up thinking that all chocolate was supposed to taste like Cadbury's Dairy Milk ... how wrong i was. I had some American chocolate recently : i would have laughed out loud had i not been gagging

edit - damn this UBB code! Damn you all to hell!. What was so wrong with HTML anyway?
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate bitter chocalate if that's what you mean. So how does the rest of the world take it's chocalate?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    n-no, this wasn't bitter, this was sweet ... so foully overly sweet ... like sugary chemicals distilled through a thousand beehives ... ack.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Dan: Is that the sort of stuff that tastes like it was made by a monkey with rubber gloves and poor chemistry skills operating under the guidance of a man with no tongue? Sort of like "smokey bacon" flavour crisps? Hasn't anyone told them that they couldn't be further from what smokey bacon tastes like?

Agreed with RWolf here, ice cream and hot apple pie is a ridiculously good combination. Although chocolate sauce on that ice cream might also work, if used sparingly...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer Hershey's chocolate syrup dripped all over a young nude female with large breasts tripping on LSD. So you can all shut the hell up! laugh.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    or "chicken" flavour crisps. I have no idea what that taste is supposed to resemble, certainly not any form of cooked chicken. Maybe it's what it tastes like raw.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cadbury's owns hersheys from my experience..
    but true chocolate comes from belgium. Man, those belgium truffles.. the taste.. the melting.. *drools*

on the subject of sauces I would hesitantly say butterscotch over choc, but I'd prefer a little double cream (not whipped though). Man I'm getting fatter just thinking about this stuff. Stop it Mop!
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyone find frosting on cakes to be a little too overwhelmingly sweet?

I prefer a nice pint of http://www.haagen-dazs.com/segicd.do?productId=125 with out any bloody Chocolate sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh most definitely, i cannot stand cake because of the frosting, which is why i only eve have pie for my birthday. you can never go wrong with pie. unless it's raspberry then it's just horrible.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Agreed with RWolf here, ice cream and hot apple pie is a ridiculously good combination. Although chocolate sauce on that ice cream might also work, if used sparingly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a popular combination over on yon isle upon which you live? While I know it's an imported recipe (like virtually all food here), there is the old line about something being "as American as apple pie." I rather assumed the delicious delight that is apple pie with ice cream was known in the UK but not particularly common.

In an effort to be chocolately correct and avoid offending anyone, I shall refrain from discussing any aspect of chocolate, sauces or otherwise. And I apologize in advance, just in case.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I enjoy caramel sauce on my french vanilla ice-cream personally. Chocolate sauce belongs on cakes & in milk. When embued in milk, it does not work its magic in cereal, regardless of variety, contrary to Mr. Holden's above expressed endorsement.

I have also discovered Carvel's Rainbow-Chip cake mix ice-cream and found it to be superior in several respects to all other breeds & species of available frozen dairy deserts. It does in fact bear a more than passing resemblance to the flavor of cake mix, only your mother won't tell you you'll "get worms" from eating it in said "batter" state. Moreover nor are you required to lick it delicately from an electric beater!
    The major drawback I've discovered to this incredible confection is that its lifespan is rather woefully limited. After consuming a portion and slumbering in the freezer for even just 1 night, it looses much of its lustre and vigor, becoming a pale shadow of its former delicious self.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Blah blah blah. Anyone who's anyone nowadays knows that chocolate sauce for eating is yesterday's news. What's "now" and "hip" with today's kids is chocolate sauce for the purposes of sex and foreplay!!

http://itsjustchocolate.com (nsfw)

Wow, did it get hot in here or is it just my genitalia becoming engorged with blood?
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Blah blah blah. Anyone who's anyone nowadays knows that chocolate sauce for eating is yesterday's news. What's "now" and "hip" with today's kids is chocolate sauce for the purposes of sex and foreplay!!

http://itsjustchocolate.com (nsfw)

Wow, did it get hot in here or is it just my genitalia becoming engorged with blood?

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope im not the only one who clicked the link, expecting something hot : /
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Eclaire's for this fatass.
  • Ribking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ribking polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i hope im not the only one who clicked the link, expecting something hot : /

[/ QUOTE ]
    No....no you were not. (nsfw), indeed.

Nana's apple cobbler with a scoop of vanilla bean on the side, for me. No sauces of any kind on my desserts...at least none of which I can think of at the moment.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the Lent a few years ago where I gave up all chocolate was when I really began my appreciation for alternative sauces and syrups for ice cream. i loooooove ice cream, as well as chocolate fudge/various other chocolate toppings, but i cannot deny that caramel and butterscotch may well be tastier!

joolz: brilliant post laugh.gif
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    french.. erm i mean freedom fries and ice cream is the shit

and btw nutella > anything else
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I grew up calling it chocolate syrup and yes I love it on vanilla ice cream. it used to come in a hershey's can and now it comes in a squeeze bottle. Butterscotch is always welcome to me and seems better unless I start having it too often. Butterscotch pudding now, that beats the hell out of chocolate pudding for me, but my favorite in that area will always be egg custard with nutmeg sprinkled liberally on top smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You "alternative sauce" people make me sick! God made Vanilla and Chocolate sauce not Vanilla and Butterscotch sauce.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On warm things I almost always go with a butter-based sauce. Hershey's milk chocalate is chocalate to me. Everything else, especially dark, bitter european chocalate is crap.
    I liked that chocalate sauce that hardens into a shell on top of icecream, back when I liked ice cream that is. Caramel(or Carmel as I like to spell it) is pretty damn good as well.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "dark, bitter european chocalate is crap"

"Hershey's milk chocalate is chocalate to me."

Well that's rather fascinating. Hersheys is about the most disgusting thing Ive ever tasted. The first time I tasted it I spat it out thinking there was surely something wrong with it. American chocolate is generally considered to be crap outside of America.

p.s how we doing Paul? ;-P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, nae bad Daz. I was actually gonna mail you soon... very soon... maybe...

I have to agree that American chocolate is a poor shadow of it's former European self. It's been diluted and polluted so much it doesn't know what it is!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    chomp it on down fatties
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Daz: yes, that's what a lot of americans don't realize. When it comes to candy, the 'yanks' make the best fruity-tasting ones... skittles, starburst, etc. etc. The sugary colorful type stuff. If you're going to go with chocolate, then it's europe.

And dammit stop talking about it. Visions of giant Toblerone bars, their scaleable triangles taunting me... German chocolate, Swiss, Italian, English... all have venerable chocolate traditions. It's true that Hershey's is a unpalatable knockoff by comparison, stop rubbing it in!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Oh indeed Gauss I mean don't get me wrong. You guys are masters of all sorts of sugary goodness. I mean, Krispy Kremes? Damn that stuff should be illegal. But American chocolate? Nah, s'rubbish mate. smile.gif A UK and a US snickers bar taste so different it's amazing. More fat in the US version you see.

( I'm rubbing it in 'cos I so want to see John Warners statement become true. I would crack up so goddam hard If this became a flame war smile.gif )
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    YOU STUPID ASSHOLES :

daz i'm personaly offended by your insinuation about north american culture.

i know you said US.. common.. i'm tryin here..
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had european chocalate(includine tobelerone which seemed like some sort of accident repeated continuously and call a product), I could have saved my money. Lets agree to disagree or rather that we each think each others chocolate taste like shit, though you're wrong about it of course. But I'm a big man and since I come from a big, superior country(*snorts and adjust belt ala Mr. Furley*) I'll let you think you've convinced me otherwise.
    John: I'm wouldn't even be convinced canananada even existed except it keeps crying to the WTO that we aren't buying enough of it's shit.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed.

Well, I shall not dispute a) your size or even b) the fact that you are from a larger country ( superior is too subjective to argue unfortunately ). Nor even will I doubt the fact that you've tasted Toblerone. ( indeed not a bad little piece of confectionary by any means ) I have however the superior experience of currently living in said 'larger superior' country ( for these past 5 years now ) and of living in my country of origin which is the United Kingdom ( the land of far superior chocolate dont you know? ).
    That foresight and experience that I have over you, means that I have had considerable direct comparitive tastings of chocolate between their UK and US counterparts. ( For example the aforementined 'Snickers' ). Furthermore, those tastings have been acommpanied by companions who are also expatriots and made the same subsequent 'eeeurgh, fuck, jeez. Shit <spitting sounds>. What the fuck do they put in this shit?' ( I'll get to that later ) comments as I did upon first tasting Hersheys. I absolutely doubt sir, that you have ever side by side tried a 'Galaxy' bar and a 'Hersheys' bar of chocolate. From experience ( one that you will never have since you are an American and of course travelling beyond your borders would be...well, what's the point..am I right? ) I can assure you with the utmost confidence that a chunk of the galaxy bar will go down with that silky 'melt in your mouth' smoothness that only a good milk chocolate bar can provide ( milk being the key here. Hersheys executives made the notable decision at some point that substituting it for copious amounts of animal fat would go unnoticed. To be fair, If you've never tasted good European milk chocolate, this is probably true ).
    A subsequent equivalent bite of a Hersheys however, provides a bitter taste and texture ( and oddly, not to mention smell ) that is much further away from silky smooth milk chocolate, and is in actual fact far more reminiscent of well....cat vomit. There are many things I love about Uncle Sam, but chocolate sure as hell aint one of 'em. You gotta face the reality of it I'm afraid my friend. I know it's harsh, but chocolate making sure as hell aint your forte. This might require a vote actually, but I am confident of ultimate victory.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did the British chocolate industry pay you by the parenthesis to write that post, Daz? wink.gif

Oh, and in addendum, I had briefly forgotten where you live; you obviously have Ghirardelli chocolate at hand if you so choose, Hershey isn't the only American chocolate you're apt to find. Comparing any other nation's products to Hershey, what I would consider to be the lowest common denominator of domestic chocolate, seems a bit askew when I'm sure you must have been exposed to better American chocolate than that. I'm not saying any one nation's chocolate is better or worse than another, but the Hershey comparison is a bit stacked in Britain's favor...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hey I wasn't thinking about my prose or punctuation. It's all about the milk and cocoa man smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well absolutely. But we were specifically talking about Hersheys here Tom. And furthermore we were discussing it in the context of it having been presented as superior in taste to European chocolate. Which is of course INSANE. Anyone having the audacity to publically state that it actually tastes even remotely edible ( let alone superior to an equivalent European chocolate ) needs a thorough pounding as far as Im concerned!

Ghirardelli is indeed the mutz nutz. But it *IS* the exception to the general rule smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so long as we're clear on that smile.gif Up above when mentioning Krispy Kreme, you described it simply as 'American chocolate', so I had to throw on my star-spangled Apollo Creed boxing trunks and step into the ring!

Lo, a shockingly relevant article! Of course, I already knew Americans have generally poor taste wink.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I have a friend from Belgium (he is actually Swiss), and he freqently visits. When he does he always brings box after box of belgian chocolates (which are supposed to be the best, no?). I'll just say that I suppose my taste buds must have been spoiled by our US variety, because I really couldnt develop a taste for the Euro chocolates. They just always seemed too bitter (I dont like any form of dark chocolate).
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, Good thing I avoid candy and chocolate these days. They give me sore teeth. I dunno but that concentrated sugar goes straight to the nerve endings in my teeth for some reason, ow...

Krispy Kremes should be illegal, I remeber the day last year when they first came to this part of Canada....
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Daz: if i eat snickers, i prefer the king size--on the basis of taste!. unlike other king size candy bars which really are just the same but bigger or longer, snickers king size seems to have a larger proportion of nougat... which i think gives it a better overall taste. never had a snickers over in europe, though, too tempted by the more exotic fare smile.gif

also on the subject of regional variations, it recently came to my attention how American coke has quite a different taste/aftertaste than Mexican coke, because Mexican coca cola is still made with real sugar, and American coke production plants were switched over to corn syrup a while ago. i loooooove vanilla coke, but i've always thought that coke starts to taste a little nasty after a while. and the corn syrup is what's responsible!

i remember on my big road trip, i was in southern texas... close enough to the border for some of the convenience stores to be carrying mexican goods. i distinctly recall seeing Mexican coke sitting right next to the american coke, but i didn't think anything of it!

ok so now i sound obsessed with mexican coke, but if you ask me it's worth a trip across the border (and yes i know i can order some online, but that's not very sporting now, is it?)
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pounding? Well if you've spent the time in the USofA you say you have you know we Americans can't resist a fight when we know we can win.
    Actually I just said hersheys is the standard by which I judge all european chocalate disgusting, bitter, crap I'd be upset to find on the bottom of my shoe let alone on my plate. To be fair I'm a supertaster and so hate all bitter chocalates as I can actually taste them. To continue to be fair I hate europe with a burning passion so even if you somehow managed to convince me of their superior chocolate making abilities(which you haven't) I'd still burn the continent to the bedrock if given the chance.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Since I, like Daz, am a Brit living in these fine american States, I can say that while not comparable in either taste or texture, certain American candybars are bearable in comparison to their British cousins, and others are actually rather nice. Most of these seem to be made by (or originally by) the Nestle company or the Mars company.

"A Hershey Bar" on the other hand, tastes like raw sewage mixed with bird shit. You may wonder how I know that, and the answer is simple, I've swum in the sea off Great Britain, and if you remove the fishy saltyness it would be like liquid Hersheybar.

Don't feel bad though Americans, that your national favorite candy (so the advertising would have everyone believe) tastes like a used nappy/diaper, you still have the best Hamburgers in the world, and that's got to count for something, right?

Oh, and you can get Cadbury's Dairy Milk here made by Hershey's, it's actually pretty comparable to the real thing - I was shocked and amazed let me tell you.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    http://www.dovechocolate.com/
    http://www.haagen-dazs.com/
    http://www.ghirardelli.com/

All american chocolate makers. I have had the benefit of both european and american chocolate, and they both taste delicious. I personally don't like Hersheys very much, but the above three manufacturers make chocolate that I believe can hang with any other countries best. Delicious.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I've never seen a chocolate bar here in Japan, but if I do you'll be the first to know.

everything pretty much tastes of the disinfectant they use in the convinience stores anyway.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    the other day i had a bowl of snickers ice cream with chocolate syrup AND butterscotch. smile.gif
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    You're wrong all of you wrong wrong wrong...and I will explain why..

Chocolate is made using cocoa, and the best cocoa comes from south america, (so does the best coffee (Colombian specifically) and not from starbucks), where the cocoa plant originates, and not to be confused with the coca plant from which cocaine is produced, of which the south americans (Colombians specifically) are also the best at producing. The three main areas of cocoa production in the world are S. America, Ivory coast in Africa and South East Asia. Of these three regions. Of the three regions, the best cocoa beans still come from south america, as the plants are in thier native environment and also at thier native altitude. Factors that affect the quality of the cocoa are roasting and particle size of the ground cocoa. Most of the worlds chocolate is produced using alkalised cocoa liquor (look it up on google I cannae be arsed to explain all the detail), that has had its PH increased from 5 to around 8 (a processed invented by a dutchman Van Houten (father of famous dutch chocolate brand))which makes the flavour better, and gives a better consistency but makes it smell not so nice and requires more processing and 'deoderzing'.

Modern Chocolate has many factors to take into account. firstly shelf life, chocolate made for tropical climates tend to include more hydrogenated vegtable oil, and less milk butter, which melts at a higher temperature and gives chocolate a much better 'durability'. This makes it also taste like sugar coated HDPE. Economic cost, seeing as nestle and hersheys are such poor companies and are having trouble feeding thier families, they reduce the content of Cocoa (which is the most expensive ingredient) and to make up for the lack of cocoa the content of sugar and vegetable fat is greatly increased. Typically a bar of cadbury milk chocolate contains about 20% cocoa solids, 20% milk solids and vegetable fat while a higher quality bar (green and Blacks) would contain 34% cocoa and 27% milk solids and no vegetable fat. The higer the content of cocoa also increases the bitterness of the chocolate, and some may say they dislike bitter chocolate, but thats just the way it is.

Ive tried a chocolate drink made from colombian cocoa, and it was bitter and actually a bit fruity, which is something i never associated with a chocolate drink. I like it though its really rich and as far as satisfying a chocolate craving its like bieng shitfaced on chocolate.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm wondering, is the Haagen Daz's?
  • Speve-O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speve-O polycounter lvl 18
    Hershey's reminds me of the cheap cooking chocolate (a.k.a edible plastic) they sell in supermarkets here. Horrible. Ghirardelli chocolate is excellent in comparison, but still not exactly my favourite.

My favourite choclate makers are Lindt, Cote d Or, Geldof, and sometimes Godiva. Pricey, but worth it. Yum. I am by no means a chocolate expert, but of all the brands I've tasted those are my favourites. I think the Lindt 70% Pure Choocolate bar is a good comprimise between bitterness & sweetness. The 99% Pure stuff tastes like you've stuffed a spoonfull of cocoa powder in your mouth. Bleh.

Oh yeah, chocolate sauce all the way. smile.gif

Cheers

Steve
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I don't really eat chocolate.