Home General Discussion

Pariah MP Demo is out, opinions?

If you dont have it yet go on over to http://www.filefront.com/ and grab it. So after playing a half hour or so of it im pretty disapointed, with all the hype i was expecting something much better. The netcode seems fine and it runs well as far as fps go(a64 3000+, gig of ram, 6600 gt) but the movement is VERY chunky and feels worse then the ut2k games which imo is very very bad, you need to turn your mouse sensitivty down very low for it to feel anywhere close to smooth. The weapons feel again very clunky and are hard to use effectively the only weapon i found myself getting any kills with was the rocket launcher and thats pretty sad, everything else is too inacurate/dosent have good enough range or runs out of ammo way too fast. Most people i've talked to have said basicly the same thing and one person said that it ran HORRIBLE on thier system(2.0 p4, 384 megs ram and fx 5200).

Hopefully SP will be more fun, and hopefully will fix up the movement A LOT.

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Ditto to everything EQ said. In fact, the word "chunky" also came to mind. The FOV seemed too narrow. Weapons, weird. Runs "ok" on my 9800 Pro, 1Gig Ram, athlonXP 2.16Ghz.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This saddens me frown.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After playing it a bit more you get used to the chunkyness a little.... But its still very annoying. Also another thing i cant seem to turn FSAA on, anyone else try? I have it on in the drivers but it is off in game.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Chunky movement! I don't get the comparison to 2K4, which has never, ever felt like this to me, but yeah, "chunky" is the word for Pariah. I'd like to try it on a LAN and see how it moves.

The weapons are pretty. I'm not sure what point there is in choosing anything but the rocket launcher, but the non-rocket launcher weapons are still pretty to look at. smile.gif I wish there were a bit more variety though. The Bulldog and Plasma Gun seem virtually identical, and the frag rifle and sniper rifle are only minimally different enough. Sillohuets are way more important than the little interior details you don't have time to focus on.

The plasma gun's burst-firing is very satisfying and cool I think. Is the weird scintillating stuff on the screen when the plasma rifle is active a bug? It seems too specific and obvious to be a bug, but then it also feels kind of random. It looks almost exactly like the patterns that crawl into my vision when I start to get an ocular migraine ... so if anyone who doesn't get migraines is curious, there ya go!

Once I spawned with a melee-looking weapon in my left hand that I couldn't attack with, and only two blips of health maximum. Is this a game mechanic I don't know about, or a bug? Get splattered eight times by a rocket launcher and you have to spend a turn as a pacifist melee-user? I haven't figured out how to use grenades either. I get that you hold down the fire button to charge, but at that point I either release to no effect, or hold too long and blow myself up (I think; maybe I was being hit by rocket launchers. It happens). I also completely suck at controlling vehicles. I understand I need to learn to use this stuff, but it's certainly not intuitive.

Still, it's fun enough that after writing my mostly-frustrated first impressions, I want to go play again. Gotta be a good sign.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Still, it's fun enough that after writing my mostly-frustrated first impressions, I want to go play again. Gotta be a good sign.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah after my first post i went and played some with valh and enjoyed it a little more. But a couple people i know uninstalled it after thier first impression. Also yeah i cant stand the vehicle control, the halo style.... Never really was good at controling vehicles like that.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    well had the same impressions on the first game I played, though I'm a bit used to halo2 gameplay so, no, compared to halo2, it's not *that* chunky and slow, but gameplay is definately the same, but faster.

My main disapointment (rw?) comes to the fact that I haven't found any of the weapon upgrades that seemed to be the big originality of pariah, though it would really have been worth it to show them in a demo (though mebbe I'm too dumb to find them)

I played on all the gametypes, frontline assault is too me a bit too much like ut2004's onslaught and battlefield'42/vietnam gametypes. this is not really a bad thing because these gametypes are really good and really open the game to a more strategic side but to me it's not *that* original.

though, overall, the game plays really nice on my system, controls are cool once you get used to them and weapon loadouts are well designed (I really love the 'nade launcher/shotgun combo smile.gif )

another thing I'm happy with is that vehicles are not powerful enough to give too much superiority. with 2/3 well fired grenades/rockets you can destroy a vehicle, which is quite good with small maps like the ones featured in this demo.

deathmatch seemed interesting to me because gameplay and team strategies were closer to guerilla strategies than just run forward and fire everything. the game tend to make you hide everywhere you can to create embush points and such...

wouldn't bother to play more, which is good, the whole universe is solid enough to be immersive (especially compared to halo2, I'm sorry, can't bear all those flashy and wet stuff) realy, I can't wait for the game to be released, or at least, for the sp demo to be released.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    I thought it was PRETTEH laugh.gif

it was clunky, but thats probably due to it being a pc/console title... deus ex invisible war had similar feel to it, I blame the consoles, although I'm sure its gonna be pimp on the xbox.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    We just played a tiny LAN game at the office, and it was a lot better than playing online. Holy shit, tons better. Even an internet server reporting a good ping is like a broken build compared to playing on a LAN, IMO.

Oh, turns out the grenades I couldn't figure out how to make work, was actually the health-thingee. Doh! Still, it looks so much like something you'd throw and blow people up with that I'm not too embarassed. smile.gif

I don't mind the vehicle controls now, but I'd rather they were identical to 2K4's. It's strangely difficult, when you're on a bike, to fight someone on foot, I think because the controls don't allow for tight dogfighting or deft reversing. But dey OK. The first-person gun twitching is driving me batty. Is this "lookspring"? I've never turned it on in UT and can't be bothered to check now, but I hope you can turn it off in Pariah and let the model stay solidly where it is. It's a cool satisfyingly-animaty idea that worked in Halo but I don't think it's doing the trick here.

Heck, the weapon upgrades totally rock. I can imagine a lot more games doing this now that Pariah has demonstrated the concept, 'cause it's cool as shit. We were having a lot of fun with grenade launchers + remote detonation + fragment attractors. I kind of prefer the spammy unmodified GL to the more meticulous remote one, but when upgraded, it's an evil bastard of a weapon.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, just so everyone knows kub has been running a server, if its still up go to advanced find or whatever, and select private servers and find "kub's house" the password is polycount.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I donno what you're all complaining about the slowness, but it runs fine on my Athlon950 at maximum detail.

It runs fine but it doesn't LOOK FINE though, check out these white structures and the line grass!

http://www.planetgargoyle.com/pariah.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Cheap, the slowness we're talking about isn't relative to the framerate but to the slowness of the gameplay itself

though there's a sprint button, which is pretty useful

I definately need to figure out that upgrade stuff, was really looking forward to it.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    I was so looking forward to this game frown.gif I agree with the "chunky" feeling of the game. I guess it is a great console game, but it realy doesnt work for pc. to begin with the crosshairs are so big realy console like they should be changed and made more acurate like a fps schooter. Aiming on the vehicles feels like some modded in option like the 3th person view of TS, very unacurate =-[
    I realy hope they fix it with a patch because i was realy looking forward to this game. DE should act fast because evrybody on big game sites is already talking crap about the game.
    The graphics are buitifull and it amzes me that they even run smooth on my gf4 ti4400! I love the guns but like someone said here above some should have more ammo 9the plasma gun)
    The DM level I playd was pritty cool but i still got the feeling it could have been bigger, if you play with many people on a server ithink it gets pritty crouded.
    The big car vehicle that has the rockets is mega strong we went on a rampage of 20 kills yesterday with it lol, maybe it is a bit too strong i dont know how but some times it seem to have heat seeking missiles, that is a bit over done i think that moster is mega strong already ^^

So i hope some changes are made soon, meanwhile i'll play the demo some more, it is still a fun game smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the slowness of the gameplay itself

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mention that since the weapons are a bit unbalanced, i.e. weak sniper, powerful rocket launcher, AND WHY 4 DOTS FOR HEALTH THIS ISN'T ROTT
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I'm having fun with it. Took some getting used to but once you do it's pretty cool. Is Kub's server still up?

What weapon loadouts do you guys prefer? I was doing well with the Lancer loadout.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Pariah's not bad at all IMO. The game feels clunky because the mouselook is so sensitive while the gameplay itself is so slow paced. I was certainly thinking "man the mouse moves fast, must be like unreal with different weapons" and then I actually moved and it wasn't the case. But still, the different weapon loadouts is pretty interesting. I like the Demolisher combination, having rockets and 'nades is cool beans d00d!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    my fav loadout is definately the frag gun with grenade launcher, especially now that I discovered the weapon upgrades
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    i played it, and didn't like it. It was just...boring. No clue as to why i thought that, maybe it was because i was real tired when i played it....
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    Umm found a funny bug with the rocketlauncher, when you aim in front of somebody running and he walks in it most times he gets away alive, wich is strange since it realy hits him. Now when you realy aim on someone that is walking that the crosshair turns red and you schoot and ofcourse when hes walking it misses him quite a bit but this apears to do more damage :O
    vahl - upgreads ? :O
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    " but when upgraded, it's an evil bastard of a weapon. "

yes, yes it is.... bwahahahahahaha. The GL is really over powered when upgraded, i played 2 or 3 games online using only it, and the machine gun (both upgraded to max) and you become unstoppable. Sure, you may die a couple times, but you're going to die a lot less.

the default key bind for upgrades is x. Oh, and if you're running 1920 resolution, the upgrade menu breaks. When i switched to 1024 i could actually upgrade my weapons.

I had a little bit more fun after giving it a dedicated shot, but winning is always fun. dunno, i want to check out the single player on the console when it comes out.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So how the hell do you upgrade? the weapon menu bound to the X key?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you have to get kills to get points, and then upgrade with X.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    i was not impressed...
    the texture quality even at 'max' settings was poor, the vehicles were not nice to drive, and the weapons felt underpowered. Visually, the effects and normal mapping weren't evident as a shining feature, but seemed more thrown on.
    For something that was 'built on unreal tech' i was not impressed with what i played.
    guess it'll look good on the xbox, cause that's about the level of quality the textures conveyed, and the controls felt like i'll need a controller, especially on the vehicles.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forget the grenade launcher being overpowered. Have you tried the plasma rifle upgraded to 3? I was getting a shitload of kills without hardly doing anything.
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I wish a readme or some text over the menu page had been added to explain how to upgrade weapons on the demo, since it is a big feature. It's kinda shamefull that its not clear. =(
    PS- If your beeing outpowered by rockets/grenades, crouch down, and shoot them out of the air with your Bulldog, and get some burst shots in your enemy while he reloads.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    indeed it's a shame it hasn't been explained much in the readme...
    another thing, turn the auto aim to offf by default, because a lot of people are using it online, a bit unfair I think...especially on PC

managed to understand how the upgraded features work on the frag gun, I really liked the second one, when you can create a little network around your ennemies and then it creates a "laser web" when you shoot at him smile.gif

also found out that trick with shooting at grenades, working pretty well

I must admit that the more I play it, the more I like it, I'll definately buy it on the xbox, I think it'll really look awesome for an xbox game, gameplay seems to be very close to halo 2, which is the only game I own on the xbox tongue.gif
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I guess there is always UC2...

~Austin: No one ever explained to me why it is called T-dot anyway.
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    To
    the O acts as the dot I'm guessing..
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I think the name of this game is appropriate, as I am going to ostracize it from my hard-disk...

At least that MP demo.
    Art was mediocre I thought, gameplay was neat and kinda interesting, but not enough to really grab me.
    Hopefully the singleplayer will change my mind. (demo please, because I won't buy it based upon this.)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Well from all the responses about the weird movement, I just thought of trying to play the Punisher PC demo. Some cross platform games really work on PC and consoles, some just don't resolve their control issues well on one platform or the other. I think I'm going to reserve judgment until I'm able to try out Pariah on the X-Box, which seems like the target platform.