Home General Discussion

Menlo Park/Redwood City/Palo Alto area?

PaK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
PaK polycounter lvl 18
Are there any polycounters in theMenlo Park/Redwood City/Palo Alto area?

What are the nice spots to live in this area?

Are there any polycounters from Crystal Dynamics?

Thx,

-R

Replies

• FunkaDelicDass
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I've been at Crystal for almost 2 years.

The Menlo Park area is nice, but I choose to live in San Francisco and deal with the half hour commute. There are lots of nice places to live on the Penninsula. If you're looking for quiet, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Belmont and Foster City are ideal. If you want a college town atmosphere, West Palo Alto is nice (although pricey). Burlingame/San Mateo areas are a little busier, but there's lots of good eats around that area.

Drop me an email if you need more details.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I work in Redwood city, but live in SF. Personally I agree with FunkaDelicDass that the commute is worth it. But I've always been a city lad at heart. Anyway, the decent places to live around here have allready been covered above. One of my best mates is at Crystal Dynamics, and there are lots of folks here at EA that are from there. Bay Area game development is all very incestuous.
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I live in Belmont. Maybe someday I'll live in SF, but I dunno, it's a bit crowded for me. I'm diggin Belmont, as it's quieter, has everythig you could need within 10 min. and is a quick ride on the train or in your car from SF. I go there all the time, fun stuff.

Since my job is in Redwood City, I chose Belmont, can't beat a 4 mile commute smile.gif

I just moved to CA from Ohio last December, shoot me a mail if you have any other questions.
  • HellMark
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still relatively new to the area but I live in south San Jose and work in Los Gatos. Both areas I believe aren't too far from Menlo Park/Redwood City/Palo Alto. I do know I'm about 50 miles from San Fran. Los Gatos is crazy overpriced but a really nice area. South San Jose is priced decently well and a nice area to live in. Plenty of good eats and a close drive to San Fran (about 45mins) and Santa Cruz (20mins). I pay about 1k a month for an 800 sq ft apt w/ a garage spot. Working dev hours means I miss most if not all rush hour traffic so the commute is good.
  • jzero
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I envy all you jokers with your 60-degree SF summertime temperatures. San Francisco is simply a city founded on cool funkiness. I have a friend who lives out there (formerly in San Jose before the Rent Inflation Crisis). She drove me all around the area, it's so nice. She said that the only 'bad neighborhood' in the San Jose area is East Palo Alto.

/jzero
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    if you cant stand a crowded smelly city with bad / little parking and want a lot nicer neighbors, try down in the Los Gatos / Los Altos / Cupertino area. You can straight-shot to the RC area up 280 or take a slightly slower but more direct route up 85 > 101. Plus you don't have to deal with the fog and there's more woodland / outdoorsy areas around here to check out.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Lived in Palo Alto for years. (1971-1993, then agan 1997-2004) Now live in southern San Mateo and wok in Redwood City now. Nitzmoff works with me here at Castaway.

Scott
  • PaK
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I found some guys who work in menlo park who live in a warehouse, sounds cool.

-R
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    My grandparents used to live in Palo Alto (west), and it was just getting ridiculously expensive. I believe it was one of the most expensive regions in the US on some surveys. Lots of big houses, going for multi-millions, and even little condos going for a million plus. Very nice. Very expensive.

It was funny how Palo Alto really became the neighborhood to live in for the uppity-up. My grandma actually sold her large backyard to James Hewlett Jr (of HP fame), and he proceeded to build a large estate there. Right in grandma's backyard. Funny. And then, one time my dad and I were walking around that neighborhood, and I see this mansion that was literally an entire block long. Just beautiful. So, I ask my dad, "Who live there?", and my dad points at the road, saying, "See those little reflectors? That guy invented them, and gets something like a couple cents for every one produced." Now there's a friggin lot of those little reflectors in the road, which explains the beautiful and huge mansion. That's Palo Alto for you.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Well,yeah, My parentsboughttheirhouse in 1972 for $36,000, and sold it for 950,000 when My dad retired. Just about made up for the loss of his investments in the Dot Bomb.

Scott
  • PaK
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Same happened to my cousins babysitter's mom. She told me this afternoon that her mom cashed out for like +$1,000,000 for their home that was bought in the 70's for peanuts.

As soon as I have enough money for a down payment I'm buying in the bay area.

-R