Home General Discussion

Sin City. anyone else check it out?

seantree
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
seantree polycounter lvl 18
Just got back from the 7pm viewing here and it rocked!!! Keep in mind that I've never read the GN's but have always been a fan of Miller after DKR, mainly for the artwork. Sure the movie had some cheesy moments but they are easily forgotten with so much goodness coming at ya. I highly recommend this flick to fans and non fans.

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not a fan (I don't even read comics or graphic novels), but I plan on seeing it tomorrow.

From what I've seen in all of the trailers, it seems as if they've done a good job of handling the cheesy, over-the-top element of the source material. The over-the-top stuff in comics and GNs usually doesn't translate very well to cinema, but I think the stylized visuals of this one will help make it work.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    It was fantastic!
    The movie totally followed the film noir stylization of the comic. Damn, that truely was a great movie, the casting was pretty brilliant too.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i loved it, i have not read the books, but borrowed them from a co worker and plan on readin them soon.

i went into the movie expecting for it o be mediocre at best, and while in some spots the acing seemd pretty horrible (opening scene) other people make up for it.. rourke was especialy amazing in it

SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING

my only 2 complaints witht he movie was, a bit of the dialogue seemed a bit heavy, especialy some of the naration, i understand its praticaly word for word the books, but just seemed to come off a bit more hokey in the movie, nothing too distracting tho.

and my other complaint, i think they should have finished the movie with the marv segment, he was by far the most entertaing thing in the movie, and when he vanished half way thru the movie it made the rest of it seem rather empty
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I thought it was classic Miller, through and through. I loved every minute of it smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    never read the commics but damn I guess i'll have to check it out now... fucking rocked badass movie! smile.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Honestly? I never read the comics, but I really enjoyed Millers Dark Knight...
    I almost hated this movie. The acting and writing seemed VERY poor. I nearly fell asleep. The only redeemable thing seemed to be the visuals. The writing and acting seemed so hokey and ham fisted, and while I understand the originating material...I just feel it could have been executed better.
    I suppose I'll just say I was very dissappointed.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Loved it. It's been a while since I read the graphic novels but wasn't the film damn near verbatim fromt the books?

I didn't have a problem with the acting or the dialogue. While I can see where it may seem kind of cheesey to some, I thought it was true to the film noir roots of the GN, and now the movie.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I just got back from the flick and thought it was terrific. The visual style translated to the screen a lot better than I thought it might. I'm seconding Mojo's comment about the arrangement, though - Marv's story was just so cool, it would have felt better as a finale (or maybe because Dwight's tale was a much more low-key followup). Also, while the adaptation was incredible faithful, I wouldn't have minded some tweaking to The Big Fat Kill to explain the backstory. Without reading A Dame To Kill For first, viewers wouldn't know what's up with Dwight's 'new face' or Manute and his golden eyeball, etc. Still, that's a gripe from someone who does know the stories, and maybe a first-time Sin City watcher wouldn't mind.

The acting was top-notch nearly across the board as well. Del Toro is such a fucking god, you could barely even tell it was him, he was so into the role. Clive Owen's 'American' accent was a bit funky, but Owen himself is awesome, and Mickey Rourke... wow, he came out of the Hollywood abyss to rock my socks off! The only performance that didn't jive with me was Michael Madsen. He was reading his lines in a very flat but hammy way - William Shatner on strong muscle relaxant or something.

Also, I want to have sex with Carla Gugino. Someone get to work on that for me.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    thought it was awesome.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I loved the movie. I could see how some people wouldnt like it but I thought it was terrific. Definitely not your run of the mill action flick. The only acting that I didnt really like was that of Micheal Madsen. I think he meant to sound kind of cheesy, but it was overdone. The visuals were spectacular. There were a ton of scenes that I wanted to make a painting out of. The violence was a bit extreme, but if you dont let that bother you then the movie rocked. Go See it!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I agree, Michael Madsen made me groan. Marv was great, a real invincible man-beast and you believed it too.

time to rip off Mojo2k
    SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING

I have a problem with the end where Hardigan is heading to the farm and you see Kevin sitting on the porch, wouldn't he have heard the gunshots going off and saved the day? Kevin would of made short work of Hardigan too, so it seems odd to show him there.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but if that's the panel from the comic I'm thinking of, then I found that weird too. I think his presence was just a device to show continuity, like, "hey, here's the farm, remember?"
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    urgh i was going to see this esterday but the theatre wouldnt sell it to my friend even though he's 18, they said you needed to be 21 to buy multiple r rated tickets. i was going to go today with this girl i met, but the rain postponed this. urgh.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Awesomeness times eleventy billion. This movie's morbid sense of humor had me laughing hard, and the noir look of the comics was spot on. Great over the top atmosphere.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I loved it, really a fun movie and beautiful too. I wish I hadn't read the comics as it spoiled the entire movie for me.

Oh yeah, I got carded going in. I said, wouldn't I have to be 16 to not be allowed in? And the girl was like, Yes....
    So apparently it was questionable whether I was 16 or not. hehehe
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I thought you were 14 when I met you, poop. No, really. I think it's the shorts.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    It's your breathtaking (lack of) Maturity, Poop, that triggered her instincts. :-)

Im going to say tentatively, that I liked it. I liked it because this was literally "eye Candy". the stylization was so heavy, and so fitting with Frank Miller's original work. He had a bit of a directing credit as well, but this was a Rodriguez/Troublemaker studio production, which meant that they went for a very "artificial look", without any apologies. The film borrows heavily from the Film Noir tradition that spanned from the 30's until 1961, in which the morals were ambiguous and photography stark, and spare, and where corruption is the fuel that sets things into motion. The photography was as stark and well composed as Miller's own comic panels, often it seemed they ised the comics as storyboards. To get that look, nearly every shot is a trick shot or a special effect, to the point the artifice becomes ubiquitous, and then is dismissed as "the style". Never in one movie have I seen so much fine female ass so nicely on display. The movie itself is devided up into several short stories, and it's not linear, and the characters from one story may appear in others briefly. One could tell which "chapter" they were in by the color of the blood, sometimes red, sometimes black, sometimes white, and sometimes yellow. The movie opccasionaly played with a little color here and there, but general it was treated like a 2 colorprint job, again mimicking the comics it was derived from.

I said I liked it, but my opinion is still unset, at least until I can bounce some conversation off of others about the movie. However watching people leave the theater, I saw a lot of shaking heads. I gotthe feeling that the movie may have been "too hip for the room". The critical opinion willbe deeply split, with those that like comics or experimental cinema to like it, and those that dislike the "inexpensive"artifice, and the retrograde plotting m and the hard boiled mood and attitude, will despise it. But to me, I enjoyed seeing Bruce Willis again as an exhausted Hero, and Mickey Rourk is crazy. This was one of the most testosterone soaked movies I have seen in a long time. Visually it was a treat, and it was another display of the reality manipulating style of film making based upon limited sets, and a lot of bluescreen and compositing tricks,all to give the movie the same graphic punch that Miller's own comics do. As a Film, I liked it... mildly, and may se it again, but as an example of the lengths one can go to bend and image to exactly what an artist wants presented, even with real human actors, it's an inspiration.

Now I confess that I didn't read any of the Graphic Novels since Marv's Story, which was the first one.

Scott
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    I saw the movie yesterday with a few coworkers. I'll admit, when I saw the Trailers I was a not looking forward to this. But after seeing it I'm amazed at how good it turned out. I do have a few gripes though Micheal Madsen didn't feel believable in fact he felt under acted and Brittany Murphy felt over acted. All in all I enjoyed it. Now if I can get my expectations low enough maybe the episode 3 will be great.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I thought the whole thing was a bit too long and utterly stupid to it's non-sensical core. That said, it was damn entertaining to watch. It's just one thing to absorb a pen and ink character say something or act in a certain fashion and another to watch a legitimate actor try to pull off the same line.

Hammiest film of the year award for sure (even beats Glover and Elwes from Saw, kind of hammy), but again, really fun to watch. And man, ol' Marv was spot on.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw it, pretty damn awesome movie. Loved the trailers before the movie, too. Finally got to see the episode 3 trailer. And I really want to see the new Amityville Horror, War of the Worlds, and House of Wax.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    jessica alba is hot
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Okay Based on Scott's review I am tempted to see this at the movies instead of waiting for the DVD.

I am a great admirer of Miller's work, but unlike so many others I read here it's because of his Daredevil work and not his Dark Knight stuff. I own the Ronin stuff. The Dark Knight stuff. The Hard Boiled stuff. I never read any of the Sin City stuff. That does not mean I do not own it. At the time I quit buying comics I was just picking up a preorderd list of comics frown.gif

Fuckit I'll go see it.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    i think it needed better music during the action scenes, but then that would distract from narration. otherwise it was good.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    best movie evar
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i havent seen it yet, but i am glad people are digging it.. after frank miller wrote robocop 2 and 3, i was convinced that he couldnt write a movie..but i love the sin city books and dark knight returns..

"whats fucking you robo?"
    "kain.....kain's fucking me."
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    friggin awesome.. end of story
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Good. 3/5.

Was not expecting so much violence.
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    "Originally, the film was going to include the story featured in the "Sin City" maxi-series "To Hell And Back", with Johnny Depp in the lead role as Wallace. This was scrapped before production began but will most likely be filmed for a sequel as Rodriguez plans to film all of Miller's stories at some point."

From IMDB's trivia page.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Was not expecting so much violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you'd never seen the comic before?
  • Scott Ruggels
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    ok so having seen the movie now all i have to say is that apart from jessica alba being the hottest woman alive I found this movie very confusing.

but cool.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't like alba that much at all she was not even in the top half of the ladder of hotness in this movie, Devon Aoki as miho was much much hotter. also thought alba was poorly cast for the part also.. just didnt like her much.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is an amazing analysis

http://www.filmrot.com/images/sincity-comparisons/sincity.html

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit! According to that, Alba should've been topless! Damn you!!!
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I thought most of the Old Town girls were better looking than Alba. Alba has a fucked up nose. They all had great bodies though and that's what really counts. cool.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    SPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler AlertSPOiler Alert

Over all the movie was great

Bruce Willis did a good job as hardigan,wasnt too over the top and gave the expression on a beat down cop

Micheal Madsen-Weak performance,made me wonder if you panned down on some of his close ups would you see a script in his hand.

Mickey Rourke as Marv was my favorite in the movie,he had personality,great delivery and acted very much so the part of man on the verge of going over the edge,his perfromance was my favorite by far.

Jessica alba was hot but her performance was overshadowed by the old town girls

also everyone catch Frank Miller as the priest marv gunned down?
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    If you're talking about the Cardinal, that wasn't Miller, that was Rutger Hauer.

Frank the Avenger
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Frank, no the priest in the confession booth. And by the way this movie rocked my ass! I loved it. Had to see it with my brother though, the wifey would'nt dig. It's a guy movie. Im gonna have to read the comics now, I was familiar with the characters going in, but I didn't know their stories.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite part is when hardigan does his "I took away his other weapon" bit 8 years later, and is just bashing yellow bastard's goo of a head into the ground " I was pretty much bashing bits of skull into the dirt"
    And I loved all of marv's story, " Marv was born in the wrong century.." True dat! That fool goes to town on those punks whith his hatchet! I laughed out loud in the theater when the camera zooms out on elijah wood, I thought " I bet he cut off his hands or something" but when the camera goes all the way out, hahahahah was more than I expected.

-END SPOILER-

Great Guy movie. two thumbs up, way up.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    there have been some fairly faithful translations to film... and then there is Sin City. i feel like virtually any complaint you lodge with the movie has to be given to Frank Miller for the original, since it's so unbelievably faithful. the Jessica Alba-not-topless thing I actually think fits the character better, IMO, retaining a more innocent nature to Nancy's character.

i'm not the biggest fan of Sin City but the movie had me grinning and laughing the whole way. i didn't think they could get away with making such a literal translation and having it get a wide release, but somehow they did. it's a love letter to frank miller and miller's passion against censorship and a love letter to the greasy, pure pulp extract that the sin city comics were. for better or worse, it's a faithful masterpiece.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, i wasn't complaining about the Alba-not-topless thing because of faithfulness (never read the comics, myself). I just want to see her topless.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Had an afternoon at the theatre instead of work today. Very enjoyable piece of cinema. Not sure about the casting of Clive Owen and his wavering American accent, nor even Alba as Nancy. Rourke was simply awesome. Thumbs up from me.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jkim actualy theres hardly a shot of her in the books with a top on. she's about the most topless of the females in the book..

now as i mentioned i'm not a huge fan of alba and i've seen enough boobs to not flip out on wether or not hers are shown. but it just seemed so weird to me that when going out of the way to make the movie match PERFECT to the comics that he would falter in that one part, i mean its like what if rourke showed up and said "ok.. i'll make this movie for you.. but only if i can wear these clown shoes for the whole movie. " actualy rourke made the freaking movie so i probably woulda let him in it wearing clown shoes.

just seems that alba is not the amazing super actress that a director would bend his movie around, i'm sure theres a million actress who could deliver the 4 lines she had just as good as she did, and also would not have had a problem being the character in the book. instead of a "wholsome" variation of her

in fact i'm not sure if she owned a shirt after she grew up
    http://wrak.pl/sincity/index.php?akcja=nancy&logo=4
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    So, in the comics, was how she acted the same? Like, plays all innocent and stuff? Or is she more like one of the old town girls?
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    OMG that flick was wacked! Stylish...sexy....brutal...it helps to be familiar with the style of the stories. A must see in my book just for it's uniqueness if nothing else......but be forwarned if you don't know the stories it IS violent.

8 out of 10 here. I liked it. grin.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Forget Jessica Alba, howzabout Rosario Dawson (Gail)!

I was most annoyed by Alexis Bledel, I don't know if it was her I hated or her character, I just wanted to smack her one!
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Well having never read the GN I had no loyalty to the series unlike many of you posting, I was seeing this as something totally new to me all I had to go on were your reviews and the trailer. Therefore I hold many of you personally responsible for making me go through that. Just what is it exactly that you thought was good about it? The weak story, the bad acting, the terrible artsy film noir style or the god awful choice in cast. I notice how many of you have praised rourke’s character in particular but how hard could it possibly be to perform only one facial expression. Of course he was by far not the worst choice in cast in this shambles, I mean why in gods name you would have paid good money as a director to employ that worthless hobbit Elijah Wood when he doesn’t even have to say anything or do anything of any worth same goes for josh Hartnett and many of the other higher paid stars in this. I’ve heard the word stylistic used a lot when describing this film but simply because they have chosen not to show it in colour hardly makes it stylish. In my opinion sin city is an over the top, pointlessly artsy, empty, train wreck of a film and I highly recommend anyone planning on watching it do there homework and read a few spoilers if you could call them that because there isn’t really a whole lot to spoil. I sure hope my 5 minute post saves at least someone over 2 hours of there time.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well er, yeah welcome to the forums.

Or something.

I've never quite understood why people that don't like something choose to turn into into a personal attack against people that do. Each to their own. Live and let live. Ya know? You didn't like it? Cool. Chill yer boots though yeah?
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I notice how many of you have praised rourke’s character in particular but how hard could it possibly be to perform only one facial expression.

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine it's pretty damn hard to play character well with only one facial expression at your disposal. Not sure the difficulty of playing a role should judge its worthiness though.

[ QUOTE ]
    I’ve heard the word stylistic used a lot when describing this film but simply because they have chosen not to show it in colour hardly makes it stylish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm ... yes it does ..?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Just got back from this, I waited to go with a good friend.

Anyway, loved this movie! A lot of what's posted here already covers what I'd have to say. I'm just here to share the love. Oh, and surprise performance from Elijah Woods!
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    More exciting news. I didn't know that Robert Rodrigues had directed other Mexican artsy shoot em ups like Desperado, From Dusk Till Dawn & Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
    Better yet, did you know that there were no "sets" in Sin City. It was all filmed on green board and drawn in later. OMG!! 60 Minutes had a special on last night about it. Apparently Spielberg called Rodriguez and said he may have changed how films are made forever...with this new approach. Ain't that a trip. Don't quote me on this 'cause sometimes get my facts jumbled but that's the gist of it and it blows me way!

Point: If you're interested make sure you see it now. The big screen will be the best way to see it. Don't let the naysayers influence you. This will be a cult classic for sure. I will have the DVD. smile.gif