Home General Discussion

Game Music Discussion

jgall21
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jgall21 polycounter lvl 18
<font color="red"> now here it goes, what game soundtracks are bested in your opinion? preferably Id say the music for Final Fantasy X was the best of the series Nobuo Uematsu's best work but thats what i think. and the worst in my opinion well was Final Fantasy X-2. Has any one got any complaints or favorite OST's? </font>

Replies

• HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Red on dark blue at 6am...
    Thanks for that.

(I'll vote for Wipeout 2097/XL btw)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The music in Morrowind was pretty atmospheric, although got a bit repetetive sometimes.

Battlefield 1942's music is pretty cool, but the fact that it's ALWAYS ON in the menu and during game loading makes it get very irritating, very fast... DUN DUN DUN DUN! DUN DUN DUN DUN!
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Katamari Damacy!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics.
    And incidentally, EA Trax is an earsore.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    The music in MVP Baseball 2005 is awesome - unfortunatly I can't rip but it's all good.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    The music from Mafia was great and really added to the atmosphere. Besides that I like the Medal of Honor Alied Assault music.
    The music in Battlefield Vietnam and Star Wars games is but those aren't very original smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    megaman 2
    darwinia has real cool demoscene music and a nice ambient soundscape.
    total annihilation (same guy as morrowind I think)
    a couple tunes from gunstar heroes were awesome (0 and 12 I *think)
    tetris a b and c type smile.gif
    mdk2 I thought had a couple good tunes
    most of the sonic mayhem stuff in q3 and some of q2
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Crusader: No Remorse, MDK2, Doom, Command & Conquer (Tiberian Dawn), Demon's Crest and 7th Legion (a bit cliche) does it for me. Outlaws is damn outstanding though and it's some of the best game music i've ever heard and it's true to the game's atmosphere, it's worth buying the game full price for the music alone.
  • SABRETOOTH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SABRETOOTH polycounter lvl 18
    Rpg
    -Final Fantasy 7 + 6 + tactics
    -Suikoden 2
    -Xenogears
    -Chrono Cross

Action Adventure
    -Legacy of Kain series
    -Tenchu Stealth Assassins
    -Silent hill series
    -Castlevania Synphony of the Night

Pc games
    -Heroes of might and magic 4
    -Warcraft 3
    -Unreal series

Shooters
    -Eihander
    -Ace Combat3
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Best: Megaman 2, Mario 64, Zelda 64
    Worst: Pop2:WW, NFS:U, Britney's Dance Beat
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the Max Payne music(never played the game, but got the songs from the artist)

Also, Quake 1, has to be ranked up there. Trent's best work post PHM.

I like the Quake 3 stuff alot too, as well as UT2k3, 2k4, for different reasons.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    herzog zwei
    streets of rage 2
    metal gear solid 2
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    surprised noone said metriod, some of the music from that game would be stuck in my head for months, my favorite being the music they play in kriad's lair,

i do also love the music from super mario rpg, especially the ones where you play the main bosses, and i always have starcraft's music blasting when i used to play that game as well
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Alice

Battlefield: Vietnam
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    hands down
    "the neverhood" i have the soundtrack to it, great stuff, the same guy also did soundtrack for boombots / skkullmonkeys

alice is also good, have the soundtrack for it also,

the weird chanty music in planetside, also good
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    need for speed underground gets my groove thang going

UT2004 is good for fragging along too.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    The best piece of music I've ever heard in a game is the menu theme from Discworld 2. I can listen to that one for 20 times in a row just staring at the menu background. Also Quake II has some really cool tracks I think, I usually like whatever Sonic Mayhem creates.
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Katamari Damacy!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true! I've never played the game, but I've heard the music... best EVAR
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    Katamari Damacy, Megaman 2, MGS 1, 2 and 3. Wipeout Pure has some good stuff too. Also Zelda 64. and BATTLE TOADS
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    castlevania symphony of the night
    guilty gear series
  • jgall21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <font color="red"> quake II's music is done by the artist known as Rob Zombie.

many other which i like are of the following systems: </font>

<font color="yellow"> PS2 - Final Fantasy X
    PS1 - Final Fantasy 7
    Game Cube - Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes
    Xbox - Halo
    Gameboy Advance - Metroid Zero Mission
    SNES - Chrono Trigger
    Genisis - Sonic series
    PC - World of Warcraft </font>

<font color="green"> but my alltime favorite is that of Final Fantasy X, Seymour Battle was the track i liked the most. </font>
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i thought NIN did q2, or was that q1?
  • jgall21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NIN did quake 1 which is why on the nail gun ammo box you would see the NIN logo.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Super Mario Bros.

do-do do do-do do.. DO
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Total Annihilation. My CD is too scratched so the music won't play properly... If I saw it new in a store I'd pick it up immediately.

Also, Cho Ren Sha 68k has great music.

One of my favourite composers is Chris Huelsbeck, Katakis and Giana Sisters are awesome.

Nintendo seems to have the most memorable music, though.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    quake II's music is done by the artist known as Rob Zombie.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, how come quake 2 is listed in the credits section of sonic mayhem's site? artist collaboration?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Unreal 99

Castlevania: Symphony of The Night on the PS.

Scott
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    hmm, how come quake 2 is listed in the credits section of sonic mayhem's site? artist collaboration?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm pretty sure Rob Zombie just did the one track while Sonic Mayhem worked on the remainder.
  • lee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lee polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, game music... probably the most underrated aspect of unforgetable experience. SABRETOOTHs list is very, very good and reveals an experienced gamer. Here is my list:

1. Final Fantasy 7 - Playstation 1997 - The best soundtrack by far and belive you me because I`ve been listening to game music since 1986. Noboue Uematsu`s finest hour. FF7 offers so many different types of music (battle , emotionall,soothing ) and each one is the best in the entire series. FF7 does`t have only the best music but it`s also the best game of all time in my book. FF6,FF8,FF9,FF10 combined are no match for this milestone.To cut it short, steal a copy if you have to.

2. Xenogeras - Playstation 1998 - Yasunori Mitsuda`s finest hour (author of famous Chrono Trigger on SNES). XS has the best storyline EVER. And it`s music falls only short to FF7. An experience to be treasured. XS is also my 2nd best game of all time.

3. Metal Gear Solid - Playstation 1998 - PS just doesn`t run out of steam does it ? To put it mildly incredible event from start to finishing magic touches of concubine TAPPY. Unfortunately the composer was fired and yes, the MGS music is almost crap ever since. The best that idiot Greg Wilson managed to produce is to steal MGS 1 leading song.

4. Platoon - C-64 1986 - INCREDIBLE ! You have to hear it to believe it. At elast 6 awesome tracks spanning on enormous 12 kb. in total. Ah... good old days. Available as sid file for Winamp (requires sid plugin) and also playable in Deliplayer. Jonathan Dunn you are THE MASTER. Million $ is insult for you.

5. Turrican 2 - Amiga 1991 I think - Great work from German team Factor 5 and music composer Chris Huselback. Available on WINUAE emulator and also as Deliplayer music player module. The leading song of Turrican 1 stands as the best Amiga has to offer. And if FF6 and CT are the SNES finest, than SNES musicwise is beaten big time not only by Amiga but also by the 8-bit C-64.

6. Out-Run - C-64 1988 - Err. I thought there would be only 5 entries, BUT how to avoid this masterpiece transfered from Arcade and made by legendary Sega`s AM2 division headed by Yu Suzuky. Jason Brooke made the conversion and therefore fullfilled his role as human being smile.gif Out Run stands proud as the most known tune that ever appeared in videogames. And rightly so ! Again available as sid file for Winamp (requires sid plugin) and also playable in Deliplayer.

Many didnt`t make it like Castlevania SOTN, RE, Battle Squadron, Lotus 2 but then again I could go on forever. Overall I think that musicians from 10 or 20 years ago kick ass of these clowns that compose today. C-64 had 3 music channels, Amiga had 4, SNES 8, Playstation 24, Playstation 2 48. But enough of me already, give regards if you feel like it !

Cheers !!!
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    DragonWarrior 1~4 (nes)
    SoulBlazer (snes)
    Legend of Zelda
    CronoTrigger
    FF2&3

oh and i totally agree on the BF1942 menu music...so goddamn annoying after 3 seconds. Especially if you happen to have your volume up at all.