Home General Discussion

Need a cunning way to get your work seen?

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
Hah the ol' 'fake beard' trick. Works every time:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4382245.stm

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, but he is right:

[ QUOTE ]
    Obviously, they've got their eye a lot more on things leaving than things going in, which works in my favour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't belive some of his works went undetected for several days laugh.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    At first from the picture I thought he had defaced some of the actual museum exibits and I was gonna be pissed as hell, but smuggling in his own stuff isn't as bad. I still consider it stealing, as none of the people paying for the space or the museum approved of his works, and reguardless of how anyone feels about the formal process of getting into a museum, that's not the right way. Imagine if every two bit hack was cluttering up the stuff the museum actually approved with their art school paper mache.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    that's the most impressive thing i've seen in art since someone managed to slice a cow almost perfectly in half and transfer it to a tank of formaldehyde.

Top stuff
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Not the work of a two-bit hack. I'd say that's a hell of a lot more deserving of public exposure than most pretty pictures you might dig up, poop. I get your meaning, there are rules in place for a reason, but in this case the rules existed to be circumvented.

I've seen Banksy's work before, but this is the first time I've ever seen his site. I love him, I adore him, I want to cuddle him. The text on http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/02.html makes me want to cry from exposure to the beauty of raw human spirit. I usually stay out of "is it art or not" jerkoff sessions, but I have to say: this guy's a fuckin' artist.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Banksy: "The time of getting fame for your name on its own is over. Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a by-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a shit."

Amen, Brutha. Well, Jeff Koons and Mark Kostabi might take issue with Banksy, but here's a guy with some principles. And I absolutely must give props to a guy who does graffiti on COWS. ROTFLMAO.

Check Bansky's site for 'Current Exhibitions'. Brilliant.

/jzero
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is actually a really nice page... lots of cool grafitti.

What do you think is the technique he uses to get those b/w stuff, premade masks?
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, stencils. Check his 'Help' page. Then go here.

/jzero
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx, jzero just found that page myself wink.gif

Really nice stuff...
  • TaylorMade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMade polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, this stuff is fantastic- extremely inspiring, his Manifesto really says it all. the article about the animal rights demonstrator chaining herself to the vandalised cow exhibit really made me chuckle...
    "The animals are well cared for, and i'm just going to leave the protestor to it. Visitors will just think she's part of the exhibition."
    How very true...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    He's no two-bit hack.
    Genius.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    An artist? I don't know, he's certainly a reformer and a radical and I respect that much more than I respect an artist.

Mal: I just don't get how you can respect this guy and not like The Invisibles, its the same message, but with more explanation.
  • hikagesan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hikagesan polycounter lvl 18
    i also think its great, true art; as opposed to someone telling you that its great art. he took it in his own hands and "made" himself an artist. with galleries, one is dealing with what the gallery owner thinks is in fashion or is in style. in this case he made the style and fashion, and did it in guerilla style, similar to a lot of graf artists. very cool...
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    ahhh good ol situationalism...art pranks.. man i didnt think this stuff would be making a comeback... when Abbie Hoffman threw money onto the new york stock exchange in 1968, the absurdity of the spectacle was apparent to all.. and judicious use of the surreal.. as with graham chapman's tactical deployment of nuns to disrupt the 1972 miss world contest...pranks aren't a new weapon in political theatre... the vigorous polemical pamphlets of the 17th Century are as direct as any modern day graffiti. take thomas spence, who turned Burke's description of the "swinish multitude" to adorn his newspaper Pig's Meat... the image is celebrated relentlessly in verse ... just as hoffman and rubin planned to elect Pigasus to the white house .. drawing around spence's reformist sentiments... but as the image factory went into overdrive this century, words alone weren't enough... for Guy Debord, who conceived the term detournement, the prank was a deadly weapon..."the cheapness of its products is the heavy artillery that breaks through the Chinese walls of understanding"....it seems more graffiti types and stencil painting punks have been really getting into situationalist literature.. too bad they are 60 years behind the wagon.. if your into this stuff you should read Guy Debord's society of the specticle..
    here is a free online translation of it... http://www.bopsecrets.org/SI/debord/index.htm
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i became aware of Banksy's work in 2003, a little bit before he got a lot of exposure for the artwork he did for Blur's 2003 album Thinktank. his site is one of those rare treasures that incorporates great work as well as stories and accompanying texts. it's been a while since i've looked at it, but his stories about bombing the bridge with che guevara stencils and the result (or stenciling the scuba diver in the old fountain) have stayed with me. i too profess my love for Banksy smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I wasn't calling banksy a two bit hack, I was saying what would happen if every two bit hack could waltz into a museum and place their stuff in there. He didn't get permission from anyone. He happened to have some good stuff worth looking at, but when it's only the artist himself who is decided whether it should hang on display or not, what artists is gonna decline the oportunity? Who's to say the next person who waltzed in wouldn't be an Art Instititute drop out, who had horrible bryce renders printed on a printer that was out of cyan ink? No one but the artist in this situation filtered the work.

That was the point I was trying to make. I agree, I like this guys message and his work, I just think he should go through a bit more.... legal ways of displaying it. They are there, and they are meant to be used.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    if it went unnoticed for several days, i reckon loads of people other than the artist "filtered the work", including the people that ran the gallery.

And if someone pulled that off with a Bryce render, i'd be even more impressed.

"eye of the beholder" is such a miserable cliche, but sometimes it's so apt