Home Technical Talk

Moving on from MilkShape...

Noisybast
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
I've mentioned this in another thread, but I thought it stood a better chance of getting seen & answered if I gave it it's own thread:

I think I'm at a stage now where I've pretty much nailed the basics of 3D modelling. I've got a lot of practice still to put in, but I think I should probably be using a more industry-standard app.

I really like MilkShape 3D as a low-poly modelling app, but I'm also well aware that it's never going to carry much credibility on a wannabe 3D artist's CV.

I'm just getting started with learning 3DS MAX, and I'm finding it more than a little confusing. It's a very different beast. Would I be better off switching to Maya? I've heard it shares more similarities with MS3D than MAX does.

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I moved from Milkshape to Blender. Give it a try, don't let it's daunting interface daunt you, it's real fast to work with once you know how to use it, and once you model in it, you'll swear to never ever model with milkshape again. Ever.

G moves, R rotates, S scales, Tab goes in between object and edit mode, W brings up an editing menu, E extrudes, B box selects, right-click manually selects, etc.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Depends what you want to achieve. Do you want to pursue a career out of 3D modeling? I wouldn't switch to Maya in the hope having an easier time. But knowing Maya and Max is good for your resume.

If you just want to make 3D models as a hobbyist, and are looking for the best free app, you could do a lot worse than Wings
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    I went from MS3D 1.4 to 3dsmax 3.1 so I know how you feel. I guess there's no easy way around it, you just have to read the manual and keep experimenting with the program. Like Daz said though, try Wings if you only want to make models grin.gif