Home Technical Talk

how to create a mirrored clone in XSI?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kendo polycounter lvl 18
I thought I wouldn’t have to ask simple questions like this again after I purchased £60 worth of XSI training books. Unfortunately it would appear Avid/Softimage’s training goods are as bad as their customer service which I could quite easily spend the next 10 minutes moaning about, moving on. As the title says how do I create a mirrored clone, I have set up an additional toolbar for the cloning single but I have no idea how to mirror it. Any help on this subject would be massively appreciated.

Replies

• Squid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squid polycounter lvl 18
    scale your clone negatively on the axis you want to mirror (typically X)

taken right out of the script editor :
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    Clone , , siSharedParent, siShareGrouping, siDuplicateProperties, siDuplicateAnimation, siShareConstraints, siSetSelection, siApplyRepeatXForm
    Scale , -1, 1, 1, siAbsolute, siPivot, siObj, siX, , , , , , , , 0
    </pre><hr />
    a bit of error trapping and your good to go smile.gif
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Many thanks that did the trick though i dont see why Softimage didnt just put in a one button job like max has.

P.S i really should hurry up and register at 3d palace.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    sometimes i like to create a "new model" of my selected object. then I do an instantiate single, and scale it by -1 along the appropriate axis. then transform away. I really don't know the disadvantages to this yet, if there are any. once I'm finish, I move the mesh back to the scene root, and delete the model. Then I do symmetrize polygons which has that cool weld/bridge feature that I wish Max had.
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    you can also hit the symetry button (spelled wrong I know) of a whole mesh and then extract the polygons with the extract (delete)option
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Honestly the best method i've seen so far is:
    1. convert you mesh to a "model"
    2. Clone single
    3. Symmetrize the clone.
    4. Hide it in the perspective view. (you can't actually hide it, so what i do is set the "unselected objects to show as bouding boxes in the display properties) or you could just translate it out of your view.
    5. open up the model viewer or object viewer with your clone mesh selected and lock that view.
    6. blamo! GO!
  • Squid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squid polycounter lvl 18
    seems a bit overcomplicated to me. as long as you only freeze the ops from the original model cloning half the geo and negative scaling works exactly the same.

meh, different strokes etc

The truly best methed i've found so far though is just open up Silo and be done with it smile.gif