Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The return of Mr Robot

Irritant
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Irritant polycounter lvl 18
Some of you might remember this model from over the summer. The skinmap was horrendously wasteful, at 1024x512, all kinds of stuff duplicated, etc. So I decided to remap, and reskin him, now at a svelt 512x512. There is generous use of "maggot" wires, for those into that sort of thing smile.gif Renders don't include the shiny glass ball the brain resides in so you can see the brain better.

The new
robot1.jpg

The old version

robot3.jpg

And the new skin

robot2.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    That's freaky!

How's about changing up the front and back plates a bit more? Right now the front and back renders are almost the same picture. A color scheme and hard edges to those pipes could help too.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Like the blood on the claws and feet.

I feel like there is too much contrast on your metal. It looks like your object is in a dark place with very harsh light falling on it.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could be(too much contrast)for some eyes. I think I have a personal aversion towards it, as I see many models and feel they don't have enough, so I suppose it's part of my personal taste. At least that's my way of explaining it away smile.gif

• LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Reminds me of these old Sci Fi movies, I like the design a lot smile.gifFor my taste the contrasts are a bit strong and I would not paint any highlights at parts that face to the ground (mainly on his shoes)
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, a campy master chief?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I too think the metal needs a lot of work. I am no metal expert, but it does look more contrast than detail. It seems that you are trying to make the 'shiny' effect do all the work
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm detail as in more grit, or more objects?

Anyway, regarding the shininess, look at the round HVAC ductwork in your basement, if you have it. That's the type of metal I was going for here. Very shiny, very reflective, thin metal. Even in normal lighting, it's extremely contrasty looking. Maybe I've taken it too far here? Or maybe it's my monitor settings compared to some others.

Thanks for the crits - food for thought.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hmm hard to explain exactly,what I mean hee, but I think the actual details on the metal need more work. I would have done as much as I could detail wise then worry about the shiny stuff after,
    As it stands it looks a bit washed out and lacking sharpness

possibly you could have just mirrored the groinal area front and back as it seems to be the same.

same with the trim around the helmet
    no point wasting UV space
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding the groinal area, yeah, I totally agree with that, I could have mirrored it, since they are the same. Problem was, when I made the UV map, I had every intention of making the rear of it different than the front. I didn't mirror the trim around the helmet because there is blood spatter, and I think it would look a little TOO mirrored if I did that.

I see what you mean though about the "washed out" look. I can see that in a few parts. Part of that is the renderer's lighting tho. I don't see it as being washed out on the flat. I think I'll post a picture tonight of the type of metal he is constructed of.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game overhaul complete smile.gif Two weeks, four old models reskinned. Now time to make some cool spaceships and mechs to ride around in...

Here is the full motley crew...

aa_big.jpg