Home General Discussion

Devil May Cry 3

sumguy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sumguy polycounter lvl 18
I went ahead and picked up the Jap copy, it's awesome. I loved DMC1, it took me about 9 hours to complete and was HARD!!! (On normal mode, fuck the easy mode) I thought DMC2 blew chunks. I breezed through part 2 in a little over 2 hours; the game had zero challenge and zero strategy.

DMC3 returns to it's roots, Has a good level of challenging similar to the fist one (only less frustrating), has lots of cheezzzy style, (easy mode still there for those who don't have hand eye coordination) the camera is controllable now but is context sensitive based on the scene.

This game makes up for the Devil May Cry 2 letdown. And I couldn’t be happier.

Replies

• JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    That's awesome that it's good. I've been so looking forward to it ever since I heard about it. Alot of the action games I've been playing lately have been real let-downs, so it's good that it's comparable to one of the best.

How are the enemies so far? They interesting? I haven't been liking that most of them are those scythe guys, though.
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm on mission 14 out of 20 with 25 hours logged. Hell yea.

The enemies (bosses included) look good and they are fun to fight, which is most important. The scythe guy's you mentioned were the enemies in the demo I assume? If so they are one of many types of enemies in the game.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Whoo. Sounds great. Gonna pick it up during lunch, Tuesday. Oooohhh....must finish Shadow of Rome before playing, though! Garg!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    oh man, i'm still only in the early stages of devil may cry 1 ... wink.gif
    good to hear that part 3 meets the expectations. i'm pretty happy with dmc 1 so far and another bunch of levels might come in handy later.
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnwoo polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on this game, been really looking forward to it since seeing movies and then getting hold of the TGS playable demo, and only that was interrupted when I got my grubby mitts on Resident Evil 4 (to which I am still replaying!...fantastic game!) I was reading the IGN review this morning and it got a 9.6 rating..to be quite honest I had a gut feeling it was gonna score highly anyways...btw sumguy...how much does the "Royal Guard" fighting style kick ass?...Oh oh and those 3 piece nunchuks?... grin.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    good to hear! 2 sucked major ass...

ill have to give it a shot. smile.gif that is, IF i can stop playing GT4
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Is the game as hard as Gamespot says it is?
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/devilmaycry3/review.html?tag=boxcar_all_review_image

Ugh. I remember I couldn't beat the first boss of DMC1 for so long.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is the game as hard as Gamespot says it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure as hell hope so! wink.gif

Though it wouldn't surprise me to find that the reviewer just sucked wink.gif It has happened smile.gif
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the game on normal. It is hard, but forgiving. for example: If you get to a boss and you only have half your life, then you die as a result, It continues you at the boss with full health instead having to start from the last save game.

The game does cater to the hard core gamer. But hey, can't please everybody.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    Damn i cant wait, the EB next to my work said theyd call tomorrow, im totally all over that bitch.

My roomate was saying you had to specialize in either guns swords or hybrid, is that true? id kinda like to see that implemented now. the moves look sick as hell.

and apparently the diff was increased for the US ver. as the Jap HARD is the equivelent to the US Normal, and theres replay incentive i hear, sweetness laugh.gif
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My roomate was saying you had to specialize in either guns swords or hybrid, is that true? id kinda like to see that implemented now. the moves look sick as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gimme back my Ifrit Gauntlets damnit! ;_; Those things kicked ass wink.gif
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    So far its pretty aweosome, the cutscenes are a riot, very slick.

and yea, hard is a great adjective for this game. Ive yet to get anything above ( or below) B ranking in any mission.

i personally have a hard time not using trickster style.
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game owns, once you get Dante Built up, you can breeze through the game. I'm almost done with "Dante Must Die Mode" After that there's Heaven and Hell. Then I will be satisfied.

Also, if you're having trouble with a mission, you can replay previous missions to get extra demon blood to buy those wonderful weapon upgrades. Not to mention the exp for the style you're using.

I had everything maxed out before I started playing hard mode, which made hard mode actually easier than normal. :|
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. The Gamespot guy did suck. It's not anywhere near as insanely hard as he said it was. It's got challenge, though.

I kinda find the Nunchucks lame. I prefer the sword. But then, my Swordmaster is only lvl 1. Do styles and guns only lvl to 3?
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guns level to three, swordmaster and gunslinger level to 3.

if you go to the style menu it shows how namy levels the style can reach. I would just max out everything, it's worth it.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks, sumguy. It just seemed weird cause 3 is such a low number. But, that's good, cause it means my handguns are maxed already, so I can focus on other things.

The reviewer from Gamespot is still a douche. The learning curve isn't nowhere near as bad as he said it was.

1 thing I don't like is the camera during boss battles. I hate how it swings around, causing you to sometimes jump or roll right into the boss' attack. Fucking annoying!
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    Nevan.

anybody unlock this beast?

this has to be the sickest freakin weapon of all time. I believe Jam Session is the uber-hottness; Triple S rank everytime i wail on that sucker.

i wish my guitar summoned bats, thatd be sick 0.o
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed the Nevan kicks ass. nothin is sweeter than a bitch turning into a demonic electric guitar.

By far the most original weapon in the game.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Woo hoo! I'm on that boss!

So far, I'm loving the 2 weapons thing. I love switching between the Rebellion, and the 2 swords. You can stay airborne for so long with the Swordmaster style and Air Hike.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    yep yep, you can get crazy with this game.

i just unlocked another weapon today, i was disapointed in how i obtained it, but its probably the most powerful weapon in the game. i also got a new gun but havnt tried it yet.

also, lvl3 swordmaster+rebellion= hilarious.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Beowulf is cool, but it doesn't do more damage. At least, I didn't notice any. When I would fight a boss and charge a move to the fullest, it would do the same damage as the normal version. Ugh.

Oh, the Quicksilver, or whatever is DAMN powerful! I'm surprised they didn't give it to you last.

Has anyone killed all 100 enemies during the credits? I heard there's supposed to be some easter egg if you do it. I've tried it twice, but always just get to 99. Garg!
  • John Warner
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Ctrl-Alt-Delete beats Penny Arcade by a wide margin.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    I've been reading a bunch of reviews of the game, and EVERYONE says the game is hard. What a bunch of bunk. It's not that fucking hard. It's difficult at times, but not a "stuck on a level for 4 hours" sort of hard. 3-4 tries for a level in rare cases. Guh. But, I've played through levels repeatedly so I don't mind the most about having to redo a level.

Oh, and Shinobi for PS2 wasn't as hard as they said, either. Except the last boss. BASTARD!
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished Heaven or Hell. I feel....... satisfried, I'm starting to dream new combos, which means it's time to give the game away.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    i got the US version, so i cant imagine anyone really beating the game 3 times over before i beat it once.

all iknow is when i fight the chess pieces i drop them quicker with beowulf than any other weapon.

i dont like quiksilver imo, maybe its just cuz i have like 6 devil cells.

its definetly not uncommon to play level 3-4 without beating it, so i think that dictates hard, especially considering if your like me and like to keep your style meter above SS.