Home General Discussion

Gran Turismo 4

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Who here has it?

I'm addicted to the damn thing. I bought the new Logitech Driving Force Pro steering wheel, just for this one game. Breezing around the grand canyon @ 1080i resolution is really a sight to behold.

Anyone else addicted to this digital crack?

Replies

• iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    don't own a ps2, personally waiting for forza motorsport on the xbox.

One thing my friend was irritated with was the lack of tire marks still. An from what I've seen the AI isn't too spectactular either.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, and the lack of a damage model ticks me off. They said it will be in GT5 though laugh.gif

Then again though, there are 630 cars, and you can tweak a LOT of stuff on them. It's a "racing simulator" afterall, not a "game". :P
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I've been playing off and on.

Still yet to unlock the Extreme races (GT world and super car events to do left)

Caddilac Cien is a Pita to learn to drive since it has horridly slow shift speed, but once you figure it out, you be barreling down the track smile.gif

Too bad I spend my Money On a Logetec Momo Force Jr. for the PC, damn thing won't work on PS2 for sure. (althought the PS2 Logetech steering wheel will work on a PC)
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    They've always defended their decision to not include damage states by saying that the manufacturers wouldn't allow it.
    Total BS. But... could be believable if you look at how the GT series is being advertised. "The Ultimate Driving Simulator." A game that boasts the most advanced and accurate representation of real life car physics. If you're an average game consumer and beleive that... play the game, crash your car, and see how the wreck turns out... you'd be pretty discouraged from ever stepping foot into a car. Let alone actually purchasing one.
    GT is giant advertisement medium for car makers. The last thing they want is for consumers to be scared away from their cars.

Forza looks cool. Will have to wait and see how it plays. Not really looking forward to playing in on the Xbox controller, though.

And for those of you who may want to bring up Forza visuals VS. GT4 visuals... take this into consideration.
    The Xbox is obviously the more superior hardware out of all the current consoles. So there should be absolutely no reason why Forza shouldn't look good.
    The PS2 on the other... while not entirely weak, does have the least amount of physical ram out of all the consoles. For Polyphony to achieve the level of detail they have in GT4 is an amazing achievement. Software trickery and memory management at its absolute best.

It's a bit like having a guy with 2 legs (Xbox) and a guy with no legs (PS2)... and asking them to go from point A to point B. The Xbox could simply take a stroll and walk to point B. The PS2 would have to drag his body with his arms to point B. Which is more impressive?

OR

The Xbox is walking down a road and there's a wall blocking its way. The Xbox uses brute strength to forge its way through.
    The PS2 is walking down another road and again, there's a wall blocking its way. The PS2 simply walks around and carries on.

I'm at like 26%, I think. I have the Classics race and the GT world word to do for the Professional league.
    Rwolf: What'd you use for the classics race? The AC Cobra that shows up just dominates everything. It's a bit unfair.

Fave car at the moment is the Elise 111R. A few mods and soft sport or race tires and the thing corners like it's glued to the road. Crazy stuff.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Actually that "The manufacturers won't allow it" was a reason that was cited very often throughout gaming history. IIRC all NFS games before Porsche used that explaination (Porsche apparently didn't mind).
    Polyphony gave another reason with this one, they said they're already pushing the PS2 that hard they can't simulate damages since there's not enough power left. Considering the realism goal a whole load of processing would be needed to calculate the damage as opposed to the "this part has that many hitpoints left" system commonly used. Additionally, the changes damages have on the handling of cars aren't trivial and I doubt they're going to trash cars just to get refs for the behaviour (and different cars might behave differently even if they suffer the same damage).
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I think there is no damage model due to technical limitations. The models are already so heavily optimised that I don't see how they could incorporate a convincing effect. The total polycounts including wheels are around 5-6k , and the wheel arches are alpha mapped. The polycount and texture method just would not allow for any kind of remotely accurate deformation. Maybe it' possible to spare a few kb for a scratch alpha texture. Then when you think about it, that's really half arsed as a damage model. So they just don't bother at all. Another reason is that the game has around 700 cars. Last I heard it takes 2 weeks to make each one as they are now. Wait for ps3 I say. My head hurts when I think about the amount of work there would be involved in GT5.If they do decide to incorporate a damage modelling system on the ps3 then it will result in less cars overall. Unless they employ three warehouses full of modellers lol
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Breezing around the grand canyon @ 1080i resolution is really a sight to behold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the PS2 wasn't capable of outputting in HD? This is one of the games I'd love to play, but I don't own a PS2 frown.gif.
  • ryan77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
    GT series will always be my favorite. Glad to finally be playing. But yea kinda dissapointed about the no ferrair lambo and such
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I think the only soloution to the classic event is the Cobra. I mean I tried using the Cougar XR-7, it's got the power, but can't corner. Damn the long wheelbases of old muscle cars!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    watched a few friends play it feverishly the other day, and played it a bit myself.. felt like the same game (gt3) all over again, and generally did not like the feel of the game at all (even with a steering wheel and pedals). The fact the game still doesnt have a proper clutch setup in the controls is an utter joke. While the game is pretty damn good looking at times, i still kind of hold it against them that items in the game are textured to be sped past, and not looked at in slow speeds (though that's just a minor pet peeve). Personally, though, i felt GTA:SA's cars looked better (damage aside) and felt like the drove more like real cars (when you attemped to drive them so).
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "i still kind of hold it against them that items in the game are textured to be sped past, and not looked at in slow speeds"

aw c'mon flaagan! You cannot be serious! Would you rather they textured them so that they looked bad at high speed and good at slow speed?! ;-p
    Seriously though, you're gripng at the PS2's capabilities there, not GT4. This game is an amazing technical achievement. It looks better than any other console racer, and it's about as good as can be squeezed or will ever be squeezed out of the Playstation2 console. Yeah it has issues but graphical gripes are totally unfounded imo. Polyphony Digital are at the absolute pinnacle of knowing how to get the best out of their limits. It boggles the mind to think what they're going to pump out of the PS3.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Forza will be good. Trust me.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Flaagan's opinions about the feel of the game don't count because of the fact that he actually enjoys PGR2.

It's actually a good thing that it feels like GT3. It wouldn't make sense if the game shifted away from the core feeling they've established in the series.

"i still kind of hold it against them that items in the game are textured to be sped past, and not looked at in slow speeds"

How else are they supposed to look? It makes sense to create everything with a purpose for the sake of saving memory. It's like giving a crate a 1024x1024 texture when no one (other than artists) would pay attention to the crate's texture. It's a complete waste. And there's no reason for it.

It really annoys me how a lot of people have a lack of apreciation when it comes to clever use of technology. It's not always about brute force. Anyone can punch their way through things.

DaZ knows what's up.

Rwolf: That classic series is horrible. The AC car and BUICK special are just way too fast. I got lucky and had an old corvette as my main competion. The XR-7 got me the wins.

Just finished the 60 lap endurance race around Grand Valley. 187 A-Spec points! Fully modded Elise 111r vs. various JGTC cars.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I own PGR2. I thought mmmm this looks quite nice. Ooh there's even bits of London and San Francisco in here that I recognize. Didn't play it much after that.
    Fully modded Elise eh? Now there's a surprise. I need to see this thing run in 1080i resolution.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I love PGR2 - its a well executed arcade racer, with good online play. I love the GT series too, but although GT3Aspec was visually stunning, I have to say that I preferred GT2. GT2 just seemed more real.

Did anyone else feel this?

But then again, it was the second on the PS1, and GT3A was the first on the new hardware. Hmm.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze - not sure where you heard that, but the PS2 most defineatly runs at 1080i. It seems that the hires GT4 mode was made for widescreens in particular, so my screen is slightly squished, even when choosing the 1080i 3:4 ratio.

Soul - 60 laps? I'd go nuts there laugh.gif I've gotta dig into one of those enduro events soon, and give my wheel a real test.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone play Live for Speed http://www.liveforspeed.net/
    MOst realistic driving sim Ive played. Right up there with Grand Prix Legends. If you have a good wheel give it a go. Free demo. Awesome multi. and they are coming out with thier new "s2" mega patch soon. Only for hardcores though. If you dont have patience you'll hate it. Managed to get about 5 people at work hooked. Great for lunchtime lapping.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    That endurance race at Grand Valley was pretty hard. I had to try 5 times to figure out the right strategy to win the race.
    Basically the breakdown was I was on Soft Racing tires, while the rest of the field were on Super Hard Racing tires.
    I basically had to pit every 10 laps. With my driving style, 10 laps was really pushing it. Midway through the 10th lap, my tires would be nearly red. The AI would pit every 15 laps.
    The advantage I had was my tires would heat up far quicker and allowed to blast through and build up a good gap. But at the end of my stints, the AI's tires would be very green... and they'd start putting in quicker and quicker times.
    The AI and I basically traded off on who led the race because our grip levels and pit stop would cross together. At the end I came through on top. I made NO mistakes during the 2 hour race. It's so satisfying knowing I came out on top with an underpowered car smile.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    KeyserSoze - not sure where you heard that, but the PS2 most defineatly runs at 1080i. It seems that the hires GT4 mode was made for widescreens in particular, so my screen is slightly squished, even when choosing the 1080i 3:4 ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did a quick google search, and apparently GT4 is the first PS2 game to support 1080i... I just assumed the PS2 was only capable of 480i and maybe 480p (I thought I remember reading it somewhere).

Anyway, that just makes their accomplishment that much more amazing. I would've guessed with how much they're already pushing the system, that running at such a resolution would've brought the PS2 to it's knees. That's pretty incredible.

God damn it, I need to tell my dad to buy a PS2 and GT4 just so we can make use of our new 52" widescreen HDTV that's only running 480i for our satellite and 480p for our DVDs. Do you need a special DVI adapter or something? Our tv uses the HDTV2 standard (720p), though, so I'm not sure if that would work or make full use of the tv's full capabilities frown.gif).
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose GT4 is not the kind of game that pulls in people who usually don't enjoy the genre?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Nope.
    Unless you're willing the proper techniques of racing and the workings of tuning a car's settings... then you're not going to enjoy the game.
    Casual players who enjoy arcade racing games will get turned off as well.
    I think you have to be into cars and know more about them than the average person to really enjoy the GT series.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't even like arcade racers... Main issue is the lack of error feedback, I never know what I do wrong.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't even like arcade racers... Main issue is the lack of error feedback, I never know what I do wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You go into the corners too fast cool.gif

Racing is 50+% about braking.
    Main goal is to have fastest possible exit speed in corners.

Main mistakes:
    1st people dont brake
    2nd they think its about corner entry speed :P

And finally, start slow then try to go faster and faster, the other way around you dont learn nearly asmuch.

And this does not apply to arcade games where its mostly about reaction speed.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I think I'm taking the corners too slow or wide or something. Even when I don't hit anything the AI overtakes me like mad (often even on straights)... OTOH that might just be the excessive rubberbanding used in Mario Kart DD and Burnout 2.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Arcade games are whole different animals, some want you to powerslide some want you to take the shortest possible path. Essentially you have to look how the AI drives.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It drives around me, does that count tongue.gif?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    1) i haven't played PGR2 since i got it months ago.. it hasnt even come out of its case... never said i adored it or anything (not that i didnt enjoy it thoroughly).. anyways, soul's all confused, cause it was Rallisport Challenge 2 that I said kicks serious behind. tongue.gif
    2) i won't hold a gripe against your gripe about my gripe about the textures, but yes, they still look muddy, and yes, i realize that's a ps2 limitation
    3) my gripe still remains about the clutch.. i mean, come on.. how can it be a 'simulation' when the driver doesnt have to worry about frying the clutch or stalling the car to upshift? and if this seems like a ridiculous want, then you should of played Sierra's "Viper Racing" way back when it came out.. just tapping to upshift makes the 'simulation' about as arcade-ish as you can get.
    4) still is too bad poly didnt jump ship to xbox so they could get some sweet multiplayer in there.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    No clutch cause there is now PS2 Steering wheel with a clutch. (I think only Some PC Racing games achive this)

Althought if you want a true Simulation Experience you might want to try "Racer" No Assisted Steering, No traction control, Stalling, Clutch option, Community Dependent for content.

http://www.racer-xtreme.com/