Home General Discussion

In need of professional opinion

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys. I'm not sure if this is exactly tact-full, posting this on these forums, but I really don't know many people in the industry personally, so I figured I'd post here asking for help. I hope this is okay. IF THIS IS NOT, PLEASE, WOULD A MODERATOR DELETE THIS THRED? and accept my apologies.

I got a job offer today from a company that will go nameless. it's a cool place though! and I'd love to work there. the offer is for 30,000 k a year Canadian (that's about 24,000 USD, I think) with no benefits. I also sign a contract for one year, with a 3 month probation period.

I must say, after being totally excited waiting for the offer, this is a little anti-climatic. E.A here in Canada will pay me 38,000 year, and quite frankly, I'm making a LOT more than 30,000 a year working at Liquid, already. in fact, I'm making a fair bit more than 30,000 a year in US dollars..

as far as signing the contract, this isn't about job security, obviously. it's so they can lock me into a wage and I can't go out and get a better job.

in my humble, uneducated opinion, I'd say this offer sucks. but I would REALLY love to hear you guy's opinion on how to deal with it. I'm going to talk to a few of my more business savoy relatives, but I'm thinking about writing them a polite email describing my point of view in very friendly manor, and saying that I wont work for less than 38.

what do you guys think?

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Actually this is a good topic. How does one negotiate their contract?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Stick to your guns. If it's too low for you, then it is just too low. Let them know this if you still want the job. They may try to re-negotiate.

And that does sound quite low, by the way.

It is strange that this still happens in the industry. I've heard stories of people being offered 28 in one studio, then walking right down the street and getting 53 at the next studio, for what is essentially the exact same job. It seems that if the studio tends to hire lots of students, they are used to paying low wages, and tend to low ball everyone, including proven talented veterans. They also will tend to have more turnover as the younger people get some more experience and realize that they could be making a lot more money. Nevertheless, some of these companies do make some pretty cool games, even though things may seem to be in a constant state of flux.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    John I'd suggest you take the offer and if you feel the money is too low then start looking for a new job.

I say this because it's way easier to get a new job whilst you already have one.

-R
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    nah - keep working for us, John wink.gif

Seriously, if they aren't offering you benefits, what's the difference between working for them and staying freelance except that you make more money now?
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    I'd tell them before you sign the contract that you have a better offer else where and you would like to re-neogatiate the contract (ask for a little more money or other benefits) or pass on the offer.

Be up front and professional about it. They know they arent the only studio around and if they want you, they'll up their offer if you ask.

And besides, your fucking nuts if you want to work for EA after all the horror stories flying around.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Always make sure you will be happy with what you do. You do not want to end up in a situation where you’re unhappy because you feel you’re being underpaid. It can easily consume you. Also keep in mind that once you join a company you are now within their pay scale. Most companies will give a yearly raise based on a % of your salary. The lower you start out the longer it will take to climb the scale. This, unfortunately, is the reason you see a lot of people job hop.

Let them know what it would take to hire you. Most companies will be willing to negotiate. Also if you want 38, ask for 42. This will give you some negotiation room and who knows you might get more than you originally wanted.

- BoBo
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    with no benefits. I also sign a contract for one year, with a 3 month probation period
    it's so they can lock me into a wage and I can't go out and get a better job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain what's in the contract a bit more?

Probationary period is usually to delay the start of benefits... if you stick around long enough then they feel confident they won't be losing money on the benefit startup costs.

The 1 year time period, what's that about? I think it's illegal to prevent you from seeking other work if you leave the company, although I have heard of this stick being used. If they don't let you go, can you not work and still get the 1 year of paychecks? Non-compete clauses are usually only for the upper-echelons.

Definitely obtain a copy of the contract and say you'd like to have "your lawyer" go over it. This is standard. If they balk, then the job is not worth it. Consider their side of it... if you handed the company a contract to sign, they'd certainly have THEIR lawyers look it over, right? Damn right. So find a lawyer who knows interactive media, and spend the $100 for their read-thru. Totally worth it, IMHO.

Just try to avoid being cocky when you ask, keep it all very polite, like this kind of thing happens every day. The more experienced you seem, generally the more leveraging power you have.

OK, I'll shut up now. wink.gif Last thing... read this book.
    http://www.gag.org/pegs/index.php

Good luck man!
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    Does the 3 month probation period apply to both you and the employer, or just you? Meaning, can you quit during the first 3 months, or is it just the employer that can fire you during the first 3?

Regardless, it sounds like a pretty crappy deal. They should at least beat your current salary by a decent amount.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    I would figure out your living expenses. Estimate how much bills would cost in that area. Housing and food is almost cheaper anywhere’s outside of California. And the other bills that come with living there. Add in loans, car payments, insurances, and healthcare. Then times it by 2 for taxes and you’ll get what you should be asking for supporting yourself. Add in a family then they should offer benefits or give you more money to compensate for the lack of benefits for your family.

At least that’s what I figured out on what to do when asking for a pay. That way you can avoid the, "I do all the work and they get paid more than me." But to each their own way of figuring out this complicated task of getting a good job.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    The offer sucks. $24,000 with no benefits? I *do* earn better than that working freelance. If you have a reliable gig that you can live with (Liquid seems cool to me), there's no reason to voluntarily take a pay cut of that magnitude. The offer you have from these guys won't be the only job offer you'll ever receive, and you can't say that someone who actually respects your ability won't check out your portfolio and offer you $40,000 next month. You have talent, we all can see that, and sticking at it a bit longer will inevitably result in someone giving you a better deal. If they won't negotiate something *at least* equal to your current salary, I wouldn't consider it.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Verm said it John. It sucks. Bobo is so right about it consuming you If you feel undervalued too. It simply wont be a healthy situation. It is a lowball offer.

Go back and say that you'd feel a lot better about an offer in the range of blah to blah. Don't forget that a co. will always try and pay you the least amount that they can. Negotiation is a normal part of the hiring process and you should be able to do that comfortably. Don't sell yourself short. If they dont offer more, decline. That's my advice.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are awesome smile.gif thanks very much.

the general opinion of this thred is to negotiate for a higher wage. i'll do it for sure.

as far as the contract goes, the probationary period is left undefined. yes, come to think of it, surely i'd be able to leave and look for another job. it doesn't stipulate otherwise. the contract is acctualy fairly vauge. there's an additional paragraph that says they can collect use and disclose personal information of any employee. aside from that, the contract is pretty simple.

anyway, i wont reply to each individual post, cuz i figgure i'd just be repeating myself, but i certainly very much apprecieate every one of them. thanks alot guys.

i'm going to sit down and figgure out every single one of my expenses and compare offers. I should add that i'd love a job working in house, in a supportive artistic environment.. but that being said, if i organize my workflow with liquid development, i could feesibly make almost 50k Canadian.. that being said, working in house, not having to file my own tax, and working with others is certainly worth something to me, but..

anyway, it'll be a tricky decision. i'm going to see what they're willing to negotiate, but Liquid is starting to look really damn good.

the funny thing is, i'm not even exactly sure what to ask for.. how lowball exactly is that offer, relitive to the other employees, I'm not sure. i could tell them that it's possible to make around 50k at liquid and to offer me more, or i could say that working in house would be nice, and take a little bit less than that... or maybe i'm just being a stupid ass and i should take what i have and just organize myself to maximize what i can get with liquid.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I had a bad experience accepting a probationary period of work with Lionhead. It was likewise 3months.

The problem with that 3month probationary period is that if you need to move house and town to work there, it costs you a lot and at the end of that 3month the project could be canned ( or in my case, it never existed in the first place) and you would still lose out due to nothing you had done wrong.

Like everyone has said, push for enough for you to feel happier than where you are now or why leave where you are.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I can't believe that pay that low especially for someone with expereince !! I personally feel that offer is insulting . When I have heard industry stories like that with a company making an offer like this it only gets worse !! Like they probebly take a VERY long time to upgrade there computers and software. Probebly don't comp for supplies you use at work ..etc etc I would be very catious of a company that pays that low . Then again you did'nt say who it is and maybe they are just trying to get going ?? Maybe things will get better if they have a big hit ?? Well either way good luck with it ! smile.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha that sounds wonderful. yah, what the hell. i think i know what i'm going to do.

after talking to my buisness-owning uncle on the phone, i think i'm just going to write a friendly responce identifying that i make about 45 k working at liquid, and although i'd love to work at said company, i can't afford it.

thanks alot guys smile.gif
    edit:
    pogonip- thanks for the reply. yah, it's a little strange, but what the hell. it's a good company, so i guess they're just low balling me to see what they can get away with. the real fun part will be to see how they respond to my email hehe
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    That sounds like a good plan, John. Good luck!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    yeah the first offer is usually lower than what they are willing to pay. Its normal, happens all the time. if its super low then chances are they won't be willing to pay you enough money for you to be able to survive... heh my first offer was 19k laugh.gif it was a little over a year ago, the company is now out of business.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    heh my first offer was 19k

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats frustrating is the people who would take this undercutting pay scales for all.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Good luck, I do hope that they come back with a stronger offer. It does usually work.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Good luck John!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, you Yankees are paid well. Perhaps I'll have to immigrate over there at some stage in my career.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are they? Not from this thread smile.gif

That US$24,000 is about UK£12000 ( I think around AUS$35k). Thats not much more than a factory wage in the UK. With Johns skill and experience (and depending on the location) he really wouldn't want to be working for less that $35,000.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Most starting wages Are around $40,000 a year for competant 3d artists. add 15,000 to start in the S.F. Bay Area (Silicon Valley), because of the stratospheric rents. Add only $10,000 for the Los angeles area. the salaries are high because the rents and gasoline and groceries are high.

Scott
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks again guys smile.gif anyway, i'm not worried. if this doesn't go well then i'll just organize my self to the upmost efficiency with liquid and go at keep going with that.

i send the yesterday evening (thursday) and i haven't heard back from them today. ah well. i'm sure i'll hear back sooner or later.

Oxy- i totaly agree. the biggest shame about the whole employee abuse too many hours subject now a days is that if you dont like it, they'll find a kid who'll do it anyway. it's kinda upsetting. speaking of which, i wonder if that's what'll happen haha.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Verrry interesting topic, best of luck to you John. I don't have experience negotiating such things but my teacher who was in the CG industry talks a lot about negotiating deals. It would almost seem wise to lie to them and say you ARE making 50k, and ask for something comparable.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I JUST went through this EXACT same experience and I turned it down. For me it was less stability, less money, and no benefits. Not to mention if I was going to have benefits (put myself on my wife’s plan) I couldn't afford to do things like eat, or have a place to sleep much less put gas in my soon to be repo'ed car (if I took the job). I would have LOVED to work with the team on the project I might have been working on. They are a GREAT bunch of guys but I couldn't afford to take the pay cut and go without benefits.

It wasn't about pride or always moving forward, because sometimes you have to take a step back to be able to move forward. If I could have afforded it, I would have taken it. However it would have been my first "industry artist gig" so I am a little hungrier than others already in the industry. I am kind of lucky that I have a good job I like that treats me well.

If it comes down to a matter only your pride and you are offended that they offer you less. Ask yourself if it will pay off later and make you happy, swallow your pride and take it. Personally I would rather scrape by doing something I like rather than make more money doing something I hate. Sure money makes you feel better but if you have to do things you don’t like to make it, wouldn’t you rather spend that time doing something you like?

If it’s not going to pan out to something better or be something you like doing or you can't afford to take it then don't.

Also keep in mind that the industry is starting to become flooded with talent trying to get in. This leaves little room for negotiations, just something to keep in mind.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also keep in mind that the industry is starting to become flooded with talent trying to get in. This leaves little room for negotiations, just something to keep in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my opinion, but there's always room for negotiation. A lot of the talent trying to get in the industry isn't really all the talented, so someone with skills and experience is still valued. Plus, negotiations show that you have some respect for yourself and confidence in your ability. Some companies will value this in an employee, and some companies will want kids who will take whatever they offer. Try to work for the former, you'll be much happier. smile.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    First off,good luck John with your talks,hope all works out well for you smile.gif

secondly

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    heh my first offer was 19k

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats frustrating is the people who would take this undercutting pay scales for all.

[/ QUOTE ]

if im really honest as long as i can pay rent for whereever it is I end up and can generally live,id work for that.....simply becuase I am a kid and ive not yet broke into the industry. so my current mindset is "ill take anything in exchange for exsperience and a little note on my CV (resume)" proberly why so many people take those offers.

john

EDIT:- of course another big factor is my parents are still willing to support me on my endevours in life,kinda makes life much easyier.

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But 19k over here is a lot more than 19k over there. You'd be doing well to get an entry level job in the UK for 19 - I think I started on 18.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    lol thats very True rick,I failed to make the transatlantic translation machine work again....

But you know what im getting at,a kid in my position,would accept any kind of deal to get into the indutsry.no matter how good or bad it is from a proffesional point of view.

john
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Bronco: Get out of that mindset RIGHT NOW.
    Always work on improving your art, and know that you are worth something. Do not grab the very first malnourished carrot that some company dangles in front of you, or you might well find yourself stuck working on craptastic games, with huge mandatory overtime and very little pay.
    You do NOT want to be there. If all the wannabe games artists didn't jump at the chance to wade through a meat grinder at minumum wage, companies would realise they couldn't get away with that kind of behaviour.

About £18-20k would be a worthy starting salary for a junior artist over here, I think.

In the US, $19k works out at under £10k ... which is just silly. You can't really be expected to live too well on that...
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoa! i missed these last few replies..

yah, Bronco, i'd agree with MoP. i understand the frustration in getting your first job (haha belive me) but unless you're in a bad situation, i'd try not to undercut the market. if there's any reason E.A can overwork it's employes, it's because there's a guy who's clawing at the door trying to get into the wonderful magical industry that is game development. do you guys remember the thred of a while ago, when a polycounter who will remain namless was talking about how he'd reached the top of this industry, and didn't feel like there was anything left to do? he got one responce to the end of "how dare you talk about the industry like that, you spoiled little bitch"

anyway, (edit! i forgot i wasn't saying their name hah) got back to me just now. they're offering 37.5 and can't go higher, cuz that's kinda the cap they pay to their starting employee's.

if i can make 45k at liquid, minus a little bit of money for bad organization here and there, minus not being able to work with anyone, minus not being in a work enviornment, minus getting cabin feever staying at home, minus having to wory about invoice mistakes, minus not having my work approved in time to invoice.. and minus not keeping a rutine lifestyle i might enjoy.... and minus not having an in house position on my resume..

does that work out to 37.5? yahhhhhhhhhhhhhh smile.gif maybe. hard to say. maybe i'll take it and hope they feel i'm worth it. smile.gif

edit: you know, somewhere around not having enough money, i forgot that i really don't acctualy care about money. jesus, it's only my first year. 37.5 is quite a decent enough wage to live on in van. I'm seriously leening towards taking it. i'll phone them after lunch i think and accept the offer.