Home Technical Talk

As a game artist....

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys

Just a curious question

im wondering if any of you guys have or know other game artists that use mix medias to create game art?

Im not sure how else to put it,but ill give an example.

say you want a menu background based on some old paper or soemthing similar,rather than trying to paint this would you go into the office kitchen,grab a piece of paper and a tray,scrunch the paper up,make some coffee or tea and then pour the coffee over the paper to get the rightcolor frame and then take a pic with a cam to import into PS for further editing?

Another example I know that some artists use is they will go out with a piece of paper and a crayon and then find the surface texture thay want..bark,ground,wall etc..put the paper over the surface and just rub the crayon over the paper getting the general surface texture,they would then scan in,import into PS change to black and white and use the information gathered as overlays for textures.

Pretty simple stuff,but just curious wether this happens often where you guys work or is it really just a case of exsperimenting and wasting lots of time in PS/max smile.gif

John

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sure, use whatever works. There's no point trying to paint a photorealistic texture of a stained piece of paper by hand when you could just scan some in, it'd probably be a lot faster, and definitely look "realistic".
    I don't know about crayon rubbings for textures, since you could probably get a decent texture overlay just from a digital photograph of the bark, which would be easier.
    That said, you could use black crayon on white paper, do a rubbing of a texture, import that into PS, invert the colours and use it as a bump map, since it's essentially the high-frequency detail height information of the material...

The more you use obscure and innovative sources for texture and reference, the more original and interesting your final product can be, I think... as I say, if it works (and in a production pipeline, if it saves time), then do it!
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Photosourcing is common enough, though usually your latter example would probably be done by going out with your digicam and photographing it-- no reason to lose detail and color info by doing something so primitive as doing relief impressions with a crayon =P

Edit: I am so slow =P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thinking inside the box there, Asthane! smile.gif
    If you use techniques nobody else does, and combine them in an interesting way, you can come up with really original stuff... if everyone used photographs and nothing else, it'd all get a bit boring.
    I might give that crayon rubbing idea a try, you never know what will happen!
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, I reserve the right to be a lousy texture artist wink.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your post makes me think of David Gurrea.
    http://www.davegh.com/blade/davegh.htm
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    Saw this once in a tutorial about blooddrops etc. - normal paper, black/red ink, and some tools to add the "bodyexplosions" on paper laugh.gif.

I guess its pretty normal in art/filmschools - i got a review of a 3D movie called "hessi james" (not sure). In the artikle the director described how he made the set/object textures (watercolor paint, some dirt, scan, bumpmap).

Sounds pretty cool - i guess ill give it a try (just remembered the blood thing smile.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe thats some intresting stuff there Eric thansk for the link.

john
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    There was a guy who posted a character here a while back that was a pirate with a wheel for a peg-leg. To texture it he had printed out the unwrapped wireframe on paper, drawn and painted on top of it, then scanned it back in. It gave a really unique, painterly look to the finished character.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, doc rob, I loved that character. I think he put it in Q3...

I think I'm gonna do the same for my current university project... they like stylised and original stuff here, so I think I'll print out the UV-maps and do a kind of impasto acrylic painting over it, see how it turns out...
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey MoP

Im curious what course is it your doing at uni?

Also is there a link to some pics of this charcter,im curious smile.gif

Thanks guys

john
  • The3DGuy
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Bronco: I'm at Abertay in Dundee, 2nd year of BA(Hons) Computer Arts, which is a 4-year course. It has its good points and its bad points. Life drawing was on the syllabus 1st and 2nd year, but they seem to have abandoned it in 3rd and 4th year, which makes me sad, since life drawing is insanely useful for upping your skill level in drawing...